PDA

View Full Version : Following rigging tutorial, having a prob

OldLeakyPipes
11-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm a pretty new to rigging (I'm working on my third LW rig now), and I have run into a problem.

I'm following a set of video tutorials I found at kurvstudios.com, and in lesson 8 part 1, he starts talking about recording the rest rotation of the bones. I assumed that he meant record rest position, since I have been unable to find a record rest rotation tool (there is a set rest rotation tool, but that doesn't seem to do what I want). The tutorial was made using LW 7.5, but I'm using 8. He says that Shift-R is his Record Rest Rotation shortcut, and that he believes that is the default LW7.5 command as well. Well, I set my LW8 keyboard shortcuts to LW7.5 settings, and it seems that Shift-R does nothing.

I would just assume that he meant Rest Position and continue with the tutorial, except that when he presses shift-R, all the rotation values of that bone are set to 0. When I record the rest position (using r), they do not.

Is there a record rest rotation tool that I haven't found? (remember I am a newbie) If not, should my bone rotation values be zero'd out when I record the rest position?

Thanks for any help!

twister47
11-10-2004, 02:56 PM
I think this is what you are looking for, I have lightwave 7 but I assume its in 8!

Under Tools, Pivot, "Record Pivot Rotation'

Keep looking.

I just started rigging myself, any suggested tutorials?

Thanks!

OldLeakyPipes
11-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Twister, that is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks for the quick reply. My problem was that I was looking under bones for this command, and didn't look elsewhere.

As for a good rigging tutorial, I was pretty happy with the free one at kurvstudios.com until I ran into this little snag. I was originally using the book "Lightwave 3D 7 Character Animation" by Timothy Albee, but I had some problems with that rig. Namely, the wrist of my character would colapse when I rolled it. The reason for this, I found out, is that Albee's rig uses only one bone for the forearm. The rig at kurvstudios has you using 2 bones for the forearm, which should distribute the roll of the wrist through out the arm (I guess I'll know if it works when I'm done with the rigging tutorial)

OldLeakyPipes
11-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Well, just as soon as I got that one problem figured out, I have encounterd another.

The rigging tutorial I'm using has me pre-bend my character after loading the mesh and skelegons into layout, and after converting the skelegons to bones, but before implementing IK. In previous rigging tutorials I've followed (Albee's Lightwave 3D 7 Character Animation book), the pre-bending was done in modeler, before even adding skelegons.

The problem I'm having is that when I pre-bend my character, in layout using the bones I've created, the rest of the body gets deformed. Here is an image showing what is happening (note that my character is a hotdog):
http://img127.exs.cx/img127/250/bending.jpg

I have to wonder why this tutorial wouldn't just have me pre-bend my character before the rigging process even began, as that would prevent this problem. Is there anyway to stop this from happening, or must I start over from the beginning? For some reason, this bending of the body didn't happen on the character being used in the tutorial, but I think that's probably because the character had a very thin waist...my character doesn't really have a waist.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dodgy
11-10-2004, 04:46 PM
This of course will happen as your bones are influencing your mesh. This has nothing to do with IK. You could try a different fall off (at the top of the bones panel) to make the bones affect the mesh less or more.

Basically pre bending allows LW's Ik to figure out which way to bend your bones and stop them 'snapping' when the IK solution is equally valid in either direction. You can do this pre-bend at any point before applying your IK. I usually do it in modeler, pre-bending the skelegons with the mesh, but you can do it later. It's just your own personal preference.

twister47
11-11-2004, 10:10 AM
As he said, its because your bones are influencing the side of your mesh, as I did it with my character, it did the same thing. I'm now following the same tutorial, he did say that we are going to make weight maps, which would correct that problem.

Trawler
11-11-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeah, when he gets to the Weight Map tutorial he'll show you how to fix that. Just remember, maps can have negative weights.

SplineGod
11-12-2004, 11:25 PM
You dont need weight maps on a simple rig like that. Set your bone falloff to ^128 and also add a couple of rib bones from the spine out towards the arm pits. :)