PDA

View Full Version : AE and fielding with VT4 install??

bryansclark
11-10-2004, 12:53 PM
Is anyone else noticing fielding differences with VT4, or is it only mine?

I'm specifically noticing changes in After Effects since I've installed VT4. When I use my same DV rendering templates that I always used for export to VT3, the fields come out backwards in VT4. I'm having to render my 720x480 DV files with upper field first instead of lower. The problem comes when I use multiple renders in a chain (e.g. LW to AE to VT4). Some things come out fielded backwards and some don't. It throws my whole system out of whack.

I'm also having a problem with the AE real-time output since the VT4 install. My monitor is showing fielding where there shouldn't be any. (I can open up a blank project, type some stationary test text, and get massive interlace flicker).

bryansclark
11-11-2004, 09:29 AM
I've noticed something else since my post:

VT4 is having trouble scaling anything that is 720x480... including After Effects output. So it may not be fielding at all, but a scaling issue.

If someone could give it a try and tell me if they're seeing the same thing, the easiest way is to open up a new AE project (if you have the AE real-time output plugin) and type some text (especially noticeable in lowercase, due to all of the curves). If you switch your composition settings between 480 and 486 you should see what I mean.

The weird thing is that VT3 used to handle this with no problem.

ted
11-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Not validating your claim, (more testing needed), but we also had an issue with a project we revisit every month or so.
When my GFX guy rendered out to a .rtv recently, we saw what appeared to be a fielding issue. We did a workaround to get by, but as soon as we get time, we'll try and troubleshoot it.
He's confident he rendered out at 720 X 486.

tonsofpcs
11-13-2004, 12:11 AM
We don't have VT[4] yet, but we have had fielding problems with VT[3] in that any file rendered directly from VT[3] has reversed fields from DVD standard, and we need to re-render the file (in another application) with reverse fields set to get the fields proper.