PDA

View Full Version : UV mapping question

ingo
11-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi all, i'm slowing getting into UV mapping but still have some problems. So how do i get a decent UV map that has exact the proportions my modell has ? I'd like to texture this in PS, thats why i need the map in the real proportions (mainly for archviz). Any ideas, tips, tutorials ???

Silkrooster
11-10-2004, 03:18 PM
You should beable to export your uv map as an eps file. This should then beable to import into photoshop. You can then create a layer over this image to create your uv map. When you save the uv map you should beable to hide the eps wires so they don't appear on your object. If any of this is incorrect, please feel free to correct me.
Silk

stib
11-10-2004, 03:50 PM
If it's not already loaded look for the plugin EPSExport.p in the LightWave[8]/plugins/input-output folder. In modeler it should appear as ExportEncapsulatedPostscript in the File>export> menu.

Run that, and when the dialog pops up choose which viewport you want to export (the default is "all of the above"). The result is is an EPS vector art file which you can open in Illustrator / Sodipodi / Karbon etc as a vector image or in PhotoShop / Gimp etc as a raster (pixels) image.

peteb
11-10-2004, 04:02 PM
If you mean creatin UV's to be the same dimension as the polys on your model then there's a tutorial I was reading today on the Newtek website on how to do this. You make a cube and put it in a seperate layer to your model. Make sure your model is in the exact centre of the cube and then when you select polys to include in the UV, make sure you always grab the cube poly as well. This means that you'll always get a fixed aspect ration that will fit the 1:1 square of the UV window because the cube is square. Put simply it means your UV polys willl match their real life counter parts. Haven't tried this yet and their might be new stuff in 8 that does it for you but like I say I was just reading it today so might be what you want. Also I'm assuming that this will only work for polys that lay on the exact plain you specify i.e X Y or Z. Unless of course you flattten you object using an endomorph?

You can find the tutorial here

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/uvmapping/uv_mapping/clean_uv/index.html

ingo
11-11-2004, 03:41 AM
.... Put simply it means your UV polys willl match their real life counter parts. .........[/url]

Ahh thanks, thats exactly what i'm looking for. I'll give it a try. And thanks for the other tips too, very helpful :)

Rory_L
11-11-2004, 04:11 AM
If you use TextureGuide 2 you can hold the Control key and uniformly scale the UVs.

Cheers

R