PDA

View Full Version : 1001 tips question - nulls in modeler

jin choung
11-09-2004, 01:09 AM
howdy fellows,

there's a tip where a subtip said that if you make a single point in a layer, when that object is loaded into layout, that layer shows up as a null....

i have NOT found this to be the case... and while it is a DEFACTO null, it would be nice if it showed up in layout as an ACTUAL null with that familiar, visible JACK shape....

am i missing something or is that tip meant to imply a DEFACTO nulll?

thanks.

jin

p.s. amd BTW, being able to store nulls in modeler is a great idea.

jin choung
11-09-2004, 01:20 AM
aha....

i thought that something like this happened but i didn't figure it out till just right now... not the answer to my question but may be useful nonetheless....

if you make an object in modeler and it takes up one or several layers, on a new layer, make a junk object like a sphere or box... update layout through the hub and see the junk object there? good.

now, DELETE that junk object in modeler.

switch back to layout... now, instead of a the junk object, you have a NULL! you can rename it and SAVE THE SCENE and when you open it again, you will still have the null.

but if you load just the LWO again, there's nothing in that layer (with the deleted junk object) and you won't get that null.

not a great method for keeping nulls in modeler... any better way?

toonafish
11-10-2004, 01:46 PM
you could leave a single point in the layer, and when you want it to be dislayed as a Null, add the ItemShape Custom Object Plugin.

Fish