PDA

View Full Version : Losing textures when saving scene?

mgrusin
11-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi, I don't know if this is a bug, newbie misunderstanding, or not enough sleep. :cool:

Over the weekend I finished a couple LW projects (8.0.1, but they started in 7.x). More than once, I would edit textures in Layout, save the scene, even "save all objects" just to be sure, but when I load it again later, the scene is often missing many of my texture edits.

Sometimes textures were entirely gone and needed to be redone, :mad: sometimes they were there but had missing pieces (one scene seemed to load perfectly until I noticed after rendering that a texture forgot that it used a reference object).

Since computers by definition only do what you tell them to do, I'm pretty sure this is my fault. My workflow has been to build objects in modeler, do basic textures, send them to layout, tweak the textures, "save scene", and "save all objects" (from layout). What is the right way to do things? And to help me better understand, what -does- get saved with a scene, what gets saved with an object, and which has precedence when they come together later?

Thanks for any advice, -MG.

PS, on a happier note, I got to play with LW's dynamics a bit, and they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Definitely try them if you haven't. :D

WCameron
11-08-2004, 01:22 PM
textures are saved with Objects, not scenes. but still, if you did a Save All Objects it should have worked....
strange. if you use the hub perhaps sending the objects back to modeler and
savingthem from there would be a (crap i know) solution.

otherwise the only thing i can think of is the old standby when any lightwave
problem rears its head - delete the config files and start with a fresh set - or
switch over to a backup set and just readd plugins...

one other good rule of thumb is if you get a good texture for somethng make a new library for your project and just drop it onto the preset shelf. that way you can always reaply it again later in case something goes wrong, or you acidentally tweek something then forget what it was (ehem...)

- Will.

mgrusin
11-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'll try those and see if the problem comes back, maybe it was just one of those 3AM things.
textures are saved with Objects, not scenesHow about the "reference object" field in textures, which looks like its part of a texture, but needs an object from the current scene? (Thinking of the issue I had where a scene came back missing that parameter; it must be saved somewhere?)

Thanks again! -MG.

hunter
11-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Once you get the texture nailed down, remove the ref object from the surface editor ( select none ) and it will ask if you want to keep the items parameters. Say yes for cryin' out loud. ;)

mgrusin
11-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Great tip, thanks! Didn't know you could lose the ref object and save the info. :cool:

I just did some experimenting with a simple scene and object, and the scene did properly save the texture reference. Could have been low memory (I did have a few crashes), or I could have done something goofy like overwritten it from modeler after saving from layout... Again, 3AM.

Thanks, y'all! -MG.