PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy Rising

starbase1
04-08-2003, 05:25 PM
OK, so I have reflection set to 80%, the environment set to raytracing + backdrop, and rendering set to raytrace reflection.

This is doubtless really dumb, but why is that galaxy not reflecting in the water?

I'm sure I did this kind of thing sucessfully years ago...

Clues gratefully received!

Nick

:rolleyes:

dddMan
04-08-2003, 05:37 PM
... cause you didn't turned on reflections in render options - "ray trace reflection" ? :)

starbase1
04-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Nope, that's not it, ray trace reflections is on...
Nick

ruud
04-09-2003, 01:40 AM
don't know, too dark to see. Tried it with a flat plane or maybe some other camera-angles??

Ruutert

goblinfx
04-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Try to create a plane as background, and map on it the galaxy texture.

Edbittner
04-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Why not use the galaxy as a reflection map on the waters surface texture? Also make sure the diffusion is set fairly high on the water.
Ed
( I LOVE THIS STUFF)!

colkai
04-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Is the Galaxy a background Image? if so, they do not (I think), reflect in the scene. Stick the image on poly as well as the background, (flat or curved it's a choice thing), but make it hidden from camera, but *not* from rays. Make it double sided so you don't have to worry which way is "up". Turn off shadow casting for it, stick it "in the background" roughly where you want. This should fake a background reflection.

starbase1
04-10-2003, 05:38 AM
Thanks Guys - I will stick it on an oblong poly and try again.

Using it as a refelction map would make it reflect in the wrong place.

Nick

Epita
04-12-2003, 12:51 PM
uv probably sorted this out, but set the reflection settings for the texture as bgimage, then it should do what u want it to do, also with raytraycing

Epita

starbase1
04-12-2003, 06:25 PM
Thanks to all who suggested.

The background as composited, it appears, will NOT reflect in other objects. But I stuck it on an oblong, and that works fine, (of course).

If anyone is interested I will post the final image, and a link to the animation, but it's nothing worth getting out of bed for :D

I guess that's what I guess for trying to reproduce old Pvray ideas in LW for light releif!

Cheers,
Nick

cl1ff
04-14-2003, 07:55 PM
Well now that I have seen the one that did not work out the way you wanted, I would like to see how it worked. :D

starbase1
04-15-2003, 12:48 AM
Happy to oblige! (I was just mucking about really...)

There's also a 3mb animation that loops available at:

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/downloads/galaxwater2.avi

Nick

MorituriMax
04-15-2003, 04:06 AM
Of course, you WOULD use a codec that one has to go and buy..

Thanks...

The still looks awesome though..

starbase1
04-15-2003, 04:42 AM
I used a bought codec?!?! I can't remember which one now, but I never bought any separately... (And there's no dogy stuff on the PC...)

OK, I'll fight Divx, (which always gets in a mess for me :-(, and try and replace it...)

Nick

starbase1
04-15-2003, 05:40 AM
OK, I've used Divx 5, and its now about 400k. (A bit of mucking about found some usable settings! Lousy defaults though, unless you are trying to fit war and peace into a digital watch...)

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/downloads/galaxwater2.avi

Thanks for the kind words, I think awesome is perhaps a little extreme though!

:D

It's actually very simple - a small chunk of landscape, add a simple big single polygon, with reflective ripples applied, for the water, (or whatever liquid), and stick a nice hubble telescope picture on another single big polygon, plonked behind the scene, 100% luminosity, 0% diffuse. Stick the light roughly in front of the galaxy nucleus, and use a moderately wide angle lens.

Sometimes the simple ideas work well, sometimes months of twiddling with an ever growing polygon count does no good at all!
:(

Cheers,
Nick

cl1ff
04-17-2003, 12:55 PM
If I might suggest... Set a falloff on the ripple intensity based on the distance to the camera to make the reflection of the galaxy would look a little more clear in the distance.