PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 7.5 ....worst install EVER!

pawn707
04-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Ok, I've been using a PC for years now and I've installed programs hundreds and hundreds of times. LW7.5 on my XP Pro machine has never ONCE had a flawless install.
As I'm writing this, 7.5b seems to have destroyed my LW setup completely and I'm forced to start from scratch.

1) Out of the box, my LW CD (cd-r I might add) got "stuck" on a certain file and wouldn't budge until I hit cancel and tried again until it magically got it right.

2) Most common: I install LW and it works fine, etc. EXCEPT everything (plugs, lscripts, etc.) need to be added by hand. All of the folders exist, but they are empty on my C: drive.

3) Now I've just "upgraded" to 7.5b and Layout.exe is missing, the Hub won't start and the Modeller tells me that it's missing something and/or wrong version ... whatever that means.

I've never had so much overhead trying to install a program...for crying out loud the Sentinel drivers were easier to track down (they weren't current out of the box) and get running. ... geeez. I have a student version--if I'd actually spent $1,500 on this I'd be even more steamed!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bytehawk
04-08-2003, 05:13 PM
don't worry.

I had a similar shoddy cd like yours to install.

It worked for me by just copying the whole cd to HD in a temp directory and install from there.

Mylenium
04-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Sounds more like a general problem with your systems or MSI. Never had any trouble. BTW, you can always keep a functional version of LW wherever you like. Since it doesn't install anything into system directories (except for config files) just copying it back to your HD will always give you a working version back.

Mylenium

Red_Oddity
04-09-2003, 03:52 AM
Don't you worry, this has always been the case with LW.
But atleast it's a clean intall, it doesn't inject garbage into your system and it doesn't require silly floating license key system thingies (just try to get Maya up and running on a network...shear hell...FlexLM is a pain in the rear...)

And, as most LW users know indeed, you can backup your entire LW dir (this includes your painstakingly tweaked interfaces and menus (if your smart enough to let Layout and Modeler use the Programs folder for their config destination ...))

Matt
04-09-2003, 07:03 AM
I had a problem with the install of the dongle drivers, but it was easily solved.

but I agree it could be done much better.

Lightwolf
04-09-2003, 07:07 AM
My 2 cents...
I'd actually prefer a .zip / .sit install, since LW doesn't really need anything installed in the system directory (well, except for the dongle driver, but that is a separate install anyhow).
That way, it wouldn't overwrite configs either :)
I usually install to an empty directory and then overwrite my existing installation. I actually keep the main installation on our server, which makes maintenance much easier.

Cheers,
Mike

Lamont
04-09-2003, 02:23 PM
I haven't had any problems, and I've been installing LW since version 5.0.

I just read carefully where LW says it wants to install.

pawn707
04-09-2003, 03:00 PM
The wierdest thing of all is that it will install the program and install the FOLDERS (the entire structure) for plugins, demo scenes, etc. but the content will not be present. It's as if it's installing a 'lite' installation without asking me first...I've even had some instances where it would install content to a few folders but not others.

I guess from now on my installations will have to be a two part process...:mad:

lisac2k
04-09-2003, 04:51 PM
XP vs. 2000?

Change your system, friend...

Lamont
04-09-2003, 05:06 PM
I don't think it's an OS problem, because I have 2K and XP running LW.

I think it's a bad CD or something. I have an Adobe CD that won't work in my CD drive sometimes.

lisac2k
04-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Well, in that case...
Anyway, use 2k as more as you can, 'cause it's less buggy than XP...
That CD might be shoddy, CD-ROM (or CD-RW) also...

Lamont
04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Nah, I have access to about 10 CD/R drives... I just have to follow through w/ the Adobe support ticket and send it back. I have been lazy/busy. ^_^!!

pawn707
04-09-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Lamont
I don't think it's an OS problem, because I have 2K and XP running LW.

I think it's a bad CD or something. I have an Adobe CD that won't work in my CD drive sometimes.

XP is Win2K, basically. And XP is not at all buggy from my usage. In fact XP is great.

The CD not working was slightly solved when I duplicated it onto a fresh backup CD-r. So it no longer "hangs" on files when installing. All the other stuff still applies, unfortunatly.

lisac2k
04-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by pawn707
XP is Win2K, basically. And XP is not at all buggy from my usage. In fact XP is great.

"Trust me, I know what I'm doing..."
Sledge Hammer

Matt
04-10-2003, 02:30 AM
Problem I had was actually the Sentinal drivers installer.

The dongle I have is a duo USB, not serial, so when I looked at the options on the Sentinal installer I deselected the Serial driver thinking "hey I don't need that one, I have USB!"

Came to run LW, "Can't find dongle, running in demo mode"

So I installed BOTH drivers and everything worked fine.

This happened on BOTH Windows 2000 and XP Pro.