PDA

View Full Version : VT [4] input freezes

SCS
11-07-2004, 05:16 PM
I just upgraded from VT[3] (which was working well) to VT[4] (hardware & software) and have encountered an odd problem.

First, I started from scratch and reformatted the hard drive then installed WinXP SP1 and the VT[4] hardware/software.

When I input 2 composite sources: 1 on program, 1 on preview (in this case 2 dvd players with 29.97 interlaced 4:3 content) into the switcher everything starts out fine and after about 3-4 minutes I begin to hear occasional "pops" in the audio (which are not recorded in Capture :confused: ) with - the best way I can describe it - the program bus flickers with occasional partial frozen frames from the preview bus. The situation progressively gets worse - eventually both sources freeze (but the audio still plays), if I select the same thing on the program and preview bus no change - even if I select black on preview or program. Any DDR clips still play fine.

If I exit the application, quit winrtme and restart things seem to get better, then it starts again...

Is this a limitation of my computer & should I go back to VT[3]?

My system:

Intel P4 3.0 GHZ

2 GB ram

VT[4] card, SX-8, RS-8

nVidia geForce 5600 (latest drivers)

DirectX 9.0c

bobby
11-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Is your VT card in a regular PCI slot? I recently had problems until I moved my card from a PCI-X to a regular PCI slot.

SCS
11-08-2004, 06:26 AM
yes, and I also tried reseating the board.

promediatn
08-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having a similar issue.

nichsher
08-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Recently, out of no where my preview window is freezing and when I take the shot it's frozen.

nichsher
08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Well, I was also dropping frames, so I did a bit of research and noticed that the Input needed to be changed to Program Out, fixed the freeze and dropping frames so far, we'll see tonight when we go to shoot some shows!

LighthouseMEdia
01-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Well, I was also dropping frames, so I did a bit of research and noticed that the Input needed to be changed to Program Out, fixed the freeze and dropping frames so far, we'll see tonight when we go to shoot some shows!

Hey do you mean just in the capture settings or where? I'm running into this same problem its driving me nuts.

dreamvisionmp
01-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey do you mean just in the capture settings or where? I'm running into this same problem its driving me nuts.

I'm fairly sure Nichsher means in the capture panel. Apparently setting your input in the capture panel to 'Main' causes all kinds of problems and hogs CPU cycles. Using 'Program Out' makes things run much more smoothly.

Scott Bates
01-21-2008, 11:50 AM
FWIW, I have always captured "Program Out" with analog sources and have never had a problem. I only do post work, no live, if that makes any difference.

SBowie
01-21-2008, 01:14 PM
My understanding is that capturing Main sidesteps the integral TBC functionality, which may result in tape-based issues.

Scott Bates
01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
That's one of the reasons I've always used Program Out. Most of my source material is (usually old) analog sources so it gives me control over video levels, saturation, etc., along with stabilization. Running the really old stuff through an external TBC-IV on the way to VT doesn't hurt anything either :thumbsup: