PDA

View Full Version : Problem I've had with rendering an animation in Lightwave

damario0
11-07-2004, 12:55 AM
There's a problem I've been having with rendering a Quicktime animation in Lightwave. Before the program would just suddenly close when I tried to
render a movie but now it crashes and I think I know why. When I click
'Options' in the 'Render Options' window, I get the Compression Settings
window. Everything at the top is fine but the numbers in the 'Frames per
second' and 'Key Frame every' boxes are abormally high. The # in the Fps box
is around 7200 which does not seem right. If I do not change it, the program
crashes. I tried changing the first box to '30' and the second box to '1'
but the animation does not render even though it says it does. Do you guys know
why this is happening and any way to fix it?

colkai
11-07-2004, 02:49 AM
First things first,
Ask anyone here and they'll tell you DO NOT render directly to an animation format such as MOV (Quicktime). If for some reason, you get a crash part way through, you need to start from the first frame. Always, always render out to an image sequence.

You can then pull that image sequence into LW later and set it as the backdrop image to render out to an animation, (or you can use another package if your desire).
If your using PAL, your FPS should be 24 I think, set keyframes to be every 24 frames as well, though I understand raising this will give a smalelr file size.

cvliv
11-07-2004, 08:54 AM
try rendering to a quicktime file with no codec. that works for me. i had similar probs till i found this work around...

:-)

Silkrooster
11-07-2004, 11:49 PM
If you render to frames, to can then later import the sequence back into Lightwave to render out as a mov file. Also if you purchase Quicktime pro, I think it goes for around $20.00. Quicktime can import frames and then you can export that into a mov file as well.
Silk

cgbloke2004
11-10-2004, 08:36 PM
while all the advice for rendering frames is fine - i find it convenient just to do little tests straight to an animation.
i do this when i know that there is little chance of crashing [ie. i know myc system and lightwave are stable and the scene is not - overloaded - or very heavy on memory etc]

to keep it simple i might just render with no compression on the codec.
this goes for both avi and quicktime, tho i use sorensen sometimes on quicktime it is not recommended as it is very dark unless pre-processed at time of encoding to counter the darkening, which leads to longer creation [of the movie] times].

anyway, back to the original question:
sounds like somethings corrupt on the quicktime side.
what do you get when you render an avi?
do you have problems only in quicktime?

then i might suggest uninstalling quicktime, restart and re-install a new version of quicktime.
if it persists theres a real problem somewhere.