PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxel shadows on hypervoxels.

Creideiki
11-06-2004, 12:51 PM
I hope someone can help me with this. I am doing a scene with a high number of hypervoxel volume objects. I am having a problem with shadows though. I need the hypervoxel volume objects to cast shadows on one-another, but the hypervoxel volumes don't seem to do that as seperate objects. I am creating a very special effect that requires the hypervoxel volumes to be seperate objects, but I need them to cast shadows on one another.

I am sure I can come up with a method to fake the shadows, but I was hoping that someone may have encountered this before and found a solution to this.

I'm using lightwave 6.5, with raytrace shadows on, and the hypervoxel volumes are set with hypervoxel shadows. I can get the hypervoxel volumes to cast shadows on polygon objects, but not on the other hypervoxel volumes. If anyone can tell me how I might be able to fix this problem, I would appreciate it.

Lightwolf
11-07-2004, 11:14 AM
As far as I know this is not possible. Basically, the volumetric engine seems to ignore other volumetrics when calculating shadows (this seems to be an (deliberate?) omission in the SDK, since it doesn't work with third party volumetrics either - except it manually coded).

Cheers,
Mike