PDA

View Full Version : Box'O'Nulls (As seen on TV)

Titus
11-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Tired of having the same nulls in your projects?

Not anymore. With Box'O'Nulls you can change the shape of your nulls very easy, and it's free!

Just go here to download the plug-in:

http://garagepost.tv/renderman.htm

Titus
11-07-2004, 01:24 PM
A picture is worth a thusand words.

Gwot
11-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Nice! Is it possible to make your own custom null shapes with this or are you limited to what comes with the plugin?

Karmacop
11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
What a sham, I've never seen these on tv :p

I downloaded them, but haven't used them. There's some very useful shapes in this set. Thanks a lot :)

Gwot, I think you're limited by what's in it, but there's an lscipt (I think it comes with lightwave?) to make your own custom shapes from an object in modeler.

riki
11-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Yo totally rockin Null ART :P Sorry it's monday morning after all :)

Titus
11-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Thank you all for the comments. Yes, you're limited to the shapes of the box.

This tools was only for play but if any of you think may be useful I can invest some time to read a LWO file with your own shapes.

Gwot
11-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Karmacop: Would that be the one that doesn't maintain your color settings by any chance? I tried using a custom null (from lwo) plugin recently in 8 and it doesn't save color settings. In fact after reloading the scene all the custom null objects show up as white.

Titus: that would be awesome if you took the time to do that. It would be very much appreciated, as I've been looking for a way to add more to my rigs.

I'm not sure if this is related... but I've put in a request for more custom null types and options from newtek for null and bone properties. One of the options requests for nulls was for a bitmapped object (just a quad polygon or widget perhaps with a texture map). Basically this would allow the user to make their own bitmaps and assign them to the null, much like how armatures are done in messiah. Of course then you'd also need to be able to force the null/quad object to always face screen coordinates for it to be effective like armatures. Do you think this is possible? Not sure how much you know of lscript or the SDK to be able to answer that but I thought I'd throw it out there. =]

Thanks again for the plugin!

James

Karmacop
11-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Hmm .. I'm not sure, I've attached the script to the end of this file. They are just the one colour in this, but I think the script could be changed ...

What I'd like for custom objects is for the plugin to load the objects from a directory. This way, instead of havinf several custom object plugins you just have one, and if you want a new custom object you just chuck it in a special directory.

As far as bitmaps, there's nothing in the sdk for doing it as far as I know, but I think it may be possible. It's a cool idea no matter what.

T-Light
11-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Nice one Titus :)

If it wouldn't be too difficult to add a LW model import to this, I think it could be really usefull. A couple of ideas that popped into my head while reading the thread.

1) Compass symbols for architectural layout, wind directions etc

2) Text - Great for remembering where and why, and superb for layout tutorial scenes (eg "Start Here" "Applied Dynamics" etc)

Go for it :D

Karmacop
11-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Gwot, I just had a look at the SDK and you can texture for custom objects, but I think you'd have to make your own drawing function so that the mapped quad always faces the camera. But still, it gives hope :)

geoff3dnz
11-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Not to negate any of the effort you guys have put into your plugins / scripts, but there is also this:

www.hurleyworks.com

and click on the 'free CustomNull.p released' link in the news - but it only works with objects with quads or tris. ;)

Karmacop
11-09-2004, 07:12 PM
I forgot about Hurley's. I thought he was going to sell it, but then when someone pointed out Bob Hood's script he removed it, but it seems he released it for free. Still, I'd like something better than this ...

Titus
11-10-2004, 11:30 PM
I had a couple of minutes and an idea. How about custom text?

T-Light
11-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Originaly quoted by me...
"2) Text - Great for remembering where and why, and superb for layout tutorial scenes (eg "Start Here" "Applied Dynamics" etc)"

Latest Titus Quote...
"I had a couple of minutes and an idea. How about custom text?"

DUDE :eek:

Knew there was something wrong. I'm dissolving into the void of unread forum posts. :rolleyes:

Titus
11-11-2004, 09:16 AM
I agree, the original idea was yours :o

What I was trying to say is that the idea on how implement this suddenly happened.

Come on, keep the feedback.