PDA

View Full Version : wireframe shadows??

joao
04-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to model a large thin net structure (think fishing net).
I've got it as a simple surface subdivided and rendered as wireframe in surface editor. It works fine, but - does anyone know of a way to get shadows from it? Basically, get the light to get shadows from the wireframe wires and not the surface...
Any ideas?....

cheers,
joao.

joao
04-08-2003, 06:21 PM
P.S.
what happened to the old discussions archive?
It used to be a good place for tips.....

joao.

SplineGod
04-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by joao
Hi,
I'm trying to model a large thin net structure (think fishing net).
I've got it as a simple surface subdivided and rendered as wireframe in surface editor. It works fine, but - does anyone know of a way to get shadows from it? Basically, get the light to get shadows from the wireframe wires and not the surface...
Any ideas?....

cheers,
joao.
Create the net using clip maps (which will cast shadows) or make the net with actual geometry rather then polylines.

luka
04-08-2003, 08:19 PM
why don't you create a wire frame map for your light then it will definately cast a shadow

Julian Johnson
04-09-2003, 04:58 AM
There's quite an obscure LScript called beh_truss.ls which will take a wireframe template in one layer and extrude a shape on a second layer across the template - effectively turning a wireframe 'net' into a fully polygonal one if you so wish.

The website seems a bit flakey on the Mac, but it does work if you can penetrate the interface (template layer one, extrude object layer two, results layer 9!).

http://www.lw3d.org/lscript/index.php?sec=lscripts

Julian

joao
04-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Hi,
thanks for the reply. There is also truss2 at flay.com with a link to an easier download... I tried the original one and it works perfectly - especially at creating single line polygons. You end up with a lower polygon count than the original surface!
I haven't tested it fully yet but it seems that with single-line polygons you only get shadows using shadow-mapping (and therefore only spotlights...). Does anyone know more about this?...
P.S.
Love your website - but, how come the links on the right of the page haven't been updated since os9...!!

joao.

joao
04-09-2003, 11:32 AM
P.S.
just realised I missed the first two posts... how do you create a wireframe shadow map?... I never got into this non-raytrace shadow thing....

Julian Johnson
04-09-2003, 12:15 PM
Hi Joao - I didn't check out Truss 2, but with beh_truss you don't have to worry about single line polygons since the extrude object in layer 2 can be normal geometry and when it's extruded across the geometry of the wireframe on layer 1 will form an object that will cast shadows with any type of light...

(The links on the right hand side of the page have become a kind of historical source document :-). The site was only originally intended to be around for the switch from 5.x to 6.x - we all knew it would be a rough ride. I really should remove them as I don't have time to update those sections or at least make them more obviously an archive. There are still some useful bits of info scattered around but not in a very usable form.....as soon as I get a spare few days I'll give it a good spring clean.)

Julian

luka
04-10-2003, 03:16 PM
HI Julian
Yeah UI went to check the site out but was confronted with these pesky Log and Pass boxes, so I pretty much exited the site.

ninjaman
04-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Yeah UI went to check the site out but was confronted with these pesky Log and Pass boxes, so I pretty much exited the site.

Just keep on pressing "ok" and the pages will load.

Johan Grönwall

Ade
05-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Was there any progress on this, I too now have to render a net in the form of a hammock like this -