PDA

View Full Version : Unfreezing solution ?

DrAlain
11-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi :)

1. I have a nice subD object in LW (Mesh1).
2. To export this model to another software, I must turn it into polygons : I freeze the model with a subD division set to 1 (Patch Division=1 in the General Options panel). I get a new mesh : Mesh 2 .
3. Mesh2 is a nice polygon mesh (same number of points and polygons as Mesh1) even coming from my other software.
4. and now I'm looking for a way to go back to my original subD object...

I have tried to put the Mesh1 into a background layer, put Mesh2 into a foreground layer and then apply the BGConform tool. The result is nice but I do not get my exact original Mesh1 (there are still some differences). Some manual touch up are needed, but I'm looking for an automatic solution...

whats are your thoughts ? (Tips ? Lscripts ? plugins ?)

Thanks a lot :)

Alain

gjjackson
11-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Once you freeze it that's it. There should be a copy of the object in the temp folder. In windows the Local Setting\Temp\lwhub. In that folder there should be your backup lwo's.

DrAlain
11-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Hum... Maybe do I not be as clear as I thought :)

Between step2 and step3, I can have to close LW, close the computers too. The problem starts when I load Mesh2. Then I'm looking for a way to re-shape Mesh2 so it could become a cage that could be turned in subD to finally get my original Mesh1.
Hope that is a bit more clear :o

Thanks

Alain

riki
11-06-2004, 04:39 PM
It's not very clear. Maybe post some screenshots to explain what you mean better.

hrgiger
11-06-2004, 05:45 PM
I have to ask but didn't you think to save a copy of your model before you froze it? That's the only 100% way to get your model back.

Silkrooster
11-07-2004, 12:40 AM
The way I read his post, is that he still has the original mesh (mesh1). As he states "I have tried to put the Mesh1 into a background layer, put Mesh2 into a foreground layer and then apply the BGConform tool."
It sounds like he is experimenting with mesh 2 to try and get the mesh back to same as mesh 1.

DrAlain,
Perhaps you could post a wire of mesh1 and a wire of mesh 2. So we can see if the shape has changed or the number polys.
Silk

DrAlain
11-07-2004, 03:08 AM
Yes, of course you are all right.
There should be more clear with pictures :)

Here is a quick step by step you can do by yourself .
Test for Unfreezing (http://3d.trigeminal.free.fr/TestUnfreezing.htm)

Hope all will be more clear

Hope a solution to the problem too...

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Alain

jeanphi
11-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Don't freeze just hit tab and export.

If you reaply supatch on your frozen(at level 1) model it will lost some volume.

DrAlain
11-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Don't freeze just hit tab and export.

But when I do that , I export a mesh that has more volume in my animation software, then it is not animable (I want to be able to animate at a point level) !
:(

Silkrooster
11-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Would it be possible to use a low poly version for use in Animation Master. Load that back into Lightwave and apply that to the high res version? Metalink comes to mind here. Just a thought
Silk

DrAlain
11-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Metalink comes to mind here. Just a thought

Thanks, but it does not work. I've tried it.

The animation made outside Lightwave is imported as a lwo file+mdd file. The model is already low poly. Due to the nature of patches, structural splines are passing through points, that is not the case in SubD obviously.

When using very basic primitives, the test I made and mentionned above works well (mesh to deform in foreground, subD target mesh in background). But when the mesh is a bit more complex, some vertices are not correctly translated.

Does someone kow a tool or Lscript that enables to set a foreground point on the position of a background point ? Actually, that should be the solution ? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Regards,

Alain

toonafish
11-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Maybe you could morph the frozen mesh back to the unfrozen one with Background to Morph?

You may have to use Mesh Reknitter ( check Flay ) because Lightwave screws up the point order when you freeze the object.

DrAlain
11-13-2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your help.
I will try to get it working !

Regards

Alain