PDA

View Full Version : 10,36 still bug (((

pat-lek
11-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Hello, i have upgraded 10,35 to 10,36, and i have always the selected points bug

Here:

http://patlek.chez.tiscali.fr/bazar/pointbug.jpg

I am tired about this bug... i have listen that this is a open GL problem, or an ati drivers problem. With 10,36, i have the new open GL and the new driver... and i still have this points bug!!!

When can i hope working with Lightwave 8 ?, i have buying it in June... and still working on LW 7,5 in November.
I hope to have a replies.

(THat + the stupid christian fundamentalist cowboy in white house... :mad: it' s not a good week!))

Darth Mole
11-06-2004, 04:03 AM
No such problem here: dual 2GHz, 128MB ATI 9800 Pro, 10.3.6...

pat-lek
11-06-2004, 04:23 AM
I have just take a look at the cost of an Ati radeon 9800... it' s not giving... (Just to see my sélected points!!!)

claw
11-07-2004, 02:34 AM
I hate this bug too.. also, after some research it seems that the point-visuals are the major factor for slowdowns in Modeler. Why doesn't NT rewrite this point / opengl routines?

If I turn of points and only show my models in wire-frame, I can view much more complex objects this way, 60k polygons is no problem. But with points on.. bha.. barely 15k is going at ok speed.

pat-lek
11-07-2004, 07:10 AM
I am waiting for a replies from Newtek. It' s not seems to me that i ask for the moon,
I just want to see my sélected points in shaded view. Without this, it' s enough uncomfortable to see witch points are sélected.
I have read in another thread, Newtek can' t do anything, cause, it's an open GL problem; or it' s an ATI drivers problem. I have send an E-mail to ATI, i have waiting for 10,36 to have new open GL drivers ; and... bug still here!
I began to find time is long. Just want a replies from Newtek about this bug, just want quickly a patch.

NigelH
11-07-2004, 07:41 AM
I hate to confuse things, but I can't seem to replicate the problem on my 2Ghz G5 w/ATI9600. I'm also running LW8.0.1 on MacOS10.3.5 (haven't seen a good reason to go to 10.3.6). Is it an intermittent problem for you, or pretty much constant?

It's problems like this that allow NT to drag their feet, since it works on some systems, but not on others, they consider it YOUR problem.

pat-lek
11-07-2004, 08:55 AM
This is a constant problem, not an intermittent problem. I have this problem since i have installed Lightwave 8 (June); and this is not the first thread about this bug. And, i began to find time is long. And now, if i must thinks that it' s my problem... ergh! I hope Newtek don' t think that.

policarpo
11-07-2004, 06:08 PM
Same problem here on my PowerBook with an ATI 9000 card.

I just use 7.5c for all my production work whenever I use LW...but I have been using it less and less these days cause of constant bugs in 8. :(

Chazz
11-07-2004, 06:41 PM
It's problems like this that allow NT to drag their feet, since it works on some systems, but not on others, they consider it YOUR problem.

It's not an ATI problem in general, it's a problem that shows up on 9000/9200 cards used in Powerbooks and emacs. The 9600 and 9800 don't have the problem.

pat-lek
11-08-2004, 03:27 AM
"Why doesn't NT rewrite this point / opengl routines?"

For me, the question is: Why NT have rewrite this point / openGL routines?
I find that it' s working well in LW 7;5 ... so, why it' s don' t work on LW8 ??

i am waiting for a NT replies... At minimum, just say us that they are working on this bug... that we are not forgotten!!

mrunion
11-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Consider that NT probably DID rewrite some OpenGL stuff -- they said there were OpenGL enhancements in 8. If the problem is localized to ATI 9000/9200, but is fixed on later versions, I cannot possibly fathom how this is NTs fault. ATI moved their cards forward and NT moved their code forward.

Unfortunately, it did seem to cause a problem on older hardware. This is the price of progress.

Note: ATI isn't the cat's meow for OpenGL anyway. nVidia rules that roost.

pat-lek
11-08-2004, 06:46 AM
Older hardware..? A powermac G4 bipro 2 X 1,25 GHz ? I find it' s hard to believe... it' s now a macosaure??

mrunion
11-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Older as in "the next generation is already out (G5's)". Not "older" as in "trash it and get a new one."

I'm on the PC side, so anything "older" than 6 months is "older".

enggass
11-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Same problem...
G4/450/ATI 9000 Pro(128)/OSX.3.5

pat-lek
11-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Older as in "the next generation is already out (G5's)". Not "older" as in "trash it and get a new one."

I'm on the PC side, so anything "older" than 6 months is "older".

It' s not a G4 or G5 problem, it' s a graphic card problem , and the Ati's radeon 9000 is still selling by Ati. I can't think that my powermac quicksilver is allready a piece of museum (!!)...
On the Mac side, the price are not the same. it' s hard to follow the progress and buy at each time the last computers of Apple. And i' m sure that on the PC side everybody have not the last Optéron or Xeon.

And this bug is really too boring, i can't say to myself:" bah... when i'll buy a double G5; i' ll be able to use LW8 "

Chuck
11-08-2004, 01:57 PM
I'll check with the team to see if they can provide any information on where this problem resides and what progress may be going on with it.

We do work with the graphic card manufacturer's whenever there is a problem related to a specific card or family of cards. By doing so, that helps to identify where the problem resides, our code or theirs, and to get it resolved.

pat-lek
11-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I hope this bug will disappear soon.

The only thing that i have noticed, is that the sélected points must be behind a polygon to be visible.

policarpo
11-08-2004, 03:32 PM
It's weird that it works fine in 7.5c and all other 3D apps on OSX.

I submitted this as a bug almost a year ago and noted that it appears as though the selected vertex/point is visible on the inside of the mesh.

It looks like the visibility routine is actually reversed/flipped on the normal.

Pat-Lek, just use 7.5c for all of your modeling...provided you have David Ikeda's tools since this is the main components integrated into LW8.

Cheers.

pat-lek
11-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Yes, i have the David Ikéda tools, but there's some edge tools in LW8, seems to me interesting.

policarpo
11-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Yes, i have the David Ikéda tools, but there's some edge tools in LW8, seems to me interesting.

Most of those were pre-exisiting plugins for LW (most were free with the exception of the Rounder tool). Check your surplus of plug-ins and see if you have Edge Bevel in there...and Edge Tools from DStorm.

The truly "new" tool in LW8 Modeler is the Colored Wireframe mode...most everything else in there was schlepted from pre-existing stuff lovingly created by developers to optimize workflow.

Cheers.

Ge4-ce
11-09-2004, 12:43 AM
Ok, have my new dualie 2.0 G5 today! Nice and speedy machine!

Have an nVidia 6800 in it. Also speedy card in comparison with my ATI 9000 in my powerbook. (sames as yours Policarpo)

BUT, and there's a big BUT:

Although I have not the pointselection problem on this machine (I had it on the Powerbook) I have one that is much worse!

When I have a lot of polygons, or points, or ... a lot of data on my screen in Modeller, I get the following:

Any Ideas?

noiseboy
11-09-2004, 06:47 AM
Try turning on Simple wireframe edges and points in the Display Options window.

Darth Mole
11-09-2004, 09:52 AM
Jesus, is that a 30-inch monitor!? It looks vast!

Ge4-ce
11-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Try turning on Simple wireframe edges and points in the Display Options window.

YES! I figured that one out as well! I works!

Don't even know what it actually means.. Simple points and wireframe edges..

Darth, No it's a 23" aluminal display from Apple.. 1920x1200 also a pretty cool res.
30" was a little bit above my budget... :rolleyes: