PDA

View Full Version : Strange bone-model offset

Thomas M.
11-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Hi everybody,

I'm in the last stage before being able to render my octopus. I just tried to fine-tune all the bones to get the right position (It's a still). Unfortunately I did have to see that there is a difference between the position of the bones and especially the end/tips of each tentacle. I just wonder how to avoid it. I use two weight maps for deformation areas. One for the body/head and one for the tentacles. As the tentacles are bend around the octopus I thought maybe the bones influence areas apart from the ones where they are positioned, but changing the bone falloff didn't change anything. Anyone an idea?

Furthermore to the end of the arms I run into the problem that the tentacles follow the shape of the bones too much. So they don't get bended in a smooth way, but tend to show the edges of the bones. At the moment I retouch it in PS, but isn't there a way to do it in LW? The arms are really narrow to the end, so I can't add hundreds of bones (Or is there something like a sub patch function for bones, so you add interpolated bones?). Changing bone falloff helps a bit but isn't really a solution, as the whole object doesn't look good anymore.

For your help and advice I'd like to thank you already in advance.

Cheers
Thomas

Thomas M.
11-06-2004, 04:54 AM
O.k. I found it out by myself. The skelegon/bone layer was slightly out of center. But what remains strange is that some bones' rest rotation and length were altered. And I'm 100% sure that I didn't change these.

pooby
11-06-2004, 05:58 AM
I would really recommend using metalink.

If you make a lower poly version of your octopus with no suckers and deform this with bones, calculate for cloth, but all polys fixed. then parent the high poly version and apply metalink, you will not encounter ANY stretching of tentacles. They will just work as you would imagine them to. plus, you will not need so many bones.

I have recently discovered this. (thanks to Carm3d..)

It's a fantastic feature that is incredibly powerful and useful for squash and stretch too.

I have just made a character with huge amounts of squash and stretch. I originally had to keep the character VERY simple othewise I was encountering all sorts of issues such as the ones you are describing. But with metalink, you can detail the final character as much as you like and it retains all the motion of the low res version beautifully with no odd stretching at all.

It's like MAGIC!!!

If you wish.. send me just a tentacle, and I will make you a demo scene.

[email protected]