PDA

View Full Version : Study in Light

Imatk
11-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi all... finally got a little break from work and finished this.

I mainly did it to explore natural lighting and how it can affect mood in a scene.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it :)

kmscottmoore
11-04-2004, 08:21 PM
WOW! :eek:

All I can say is:

DOOD, that's pretty f-in' impressive!

-Scott

Retroid
11-04-2004, 09:05 PM
That is stunning. Very nice work :D

Hervé
11-04-2004, 11:30 PM
very nice render.... care to share your Lighting setup...

I'd put a pen or feather next or on the papers.... ;)

Really cool ambiance...!

adrian
11-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Great texturing, great lighting, great scene.

This one for the gallery me thinks.

Adrian.

Imatk
11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone glad you liked it :)

Yeah Hervé.... perhaps there was a quill there... but the writer took it with him :)

azza.111
11-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Great work !!!

riki
11-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Excellent work, simple but effective.

Silkrooster
11-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Excellent!!! :D I just love it.
Silk

SamuraiSlayer
11-07-2004, 09:53 PM
this is my first post in about 5 months, so anyways...

i really like it but...
1. the bars going across the window look really flat
2. the texture on the chairs needs some work
3. the thing in the corner looks fake for some reason, i think its the color saturation/contrast
4. the wall looks really flat. a bump map or something would help
5. the scene lacks purpose. what/who's room is it? where is it? what's special about it? if you could incorporate some details into the picture that indicate these things it would be better
6. volumetric light ta make the scene look dusty... this may or may not ruin the feel of the picture but its worth a try

i have soooo lost my lightwave dialect. but im workin on it... :)

-SS

Silkrooster
11-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Dude,
Are we looking at the same picture? :confused: As far as I am concerned he is very close to be photo realistic.
Silk

Hervé
11-07-2004, 11:40 PM
some of your crits are Un -justified, pretty much a question of taste, but nothing really bad , what thing in the corner...? walls dont look flat to me... why some dust..? volume lights are pretty much geeky looking... sorry for the rant... :D :cool:

Ade
11-08-2004, 06:40 AM
WOW...Great photograph!

Would someone like you publish a tutorial for us?
LW community is sorely lacking good updated architectural tutrials.

glassefx
11-08-2004, 06:42 AM
HaHa! . . . . . . . .

Imatk
11-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone :)

As for a tutorial I would be happy to write one. I've never written one before, so you'd have to bear with me :D

Do they have a tutorials section on these forums?

Hey SamuraiSlayer, sorry you didn't like it... I do disagree with many of your crits, but that's ok :)

The only one that I will comment on is the matter of purpose. The purpose, really, was a personal study in natural light and how it behaves.

I wanted to see if I could re-create the look of natural lighting in Lightwave and basically get as close as I could to the real thing.

art
11-08-2004, 04:00 PM
If I took a photo of the desk I'm sitting at, it would show as much or little purpose as the image presented here (probably less). In other words, the purpose might be there, but might be not apparent at first. Maybe there is no purpose at all. In my opinion not everything must have any reason, especially a single image like this that is not a part of an animation etc.
This image might be meaningless for some, and bring some feelings in others.
I like purposeless images too, including abstract ones.

Nice job.
I like the dirty/fuzzy glass texture.

etobiason
11-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Great work there. Very impressive. Post again when you finish that tut! :D

starbase1
11-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Looks pretty close to perfect to me - way better than anything I have done.
Nick

monovich
11-09-2004, 11:51 AM
it's beautiful. I really love it. makes me want to try something like this (which I won't, but I want to!)

is the DOF rendered in or PS?

-s

Imatk
11-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone :)

The DOF was done in post. Faster basically.

caesar
11-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Marterpiece!!!!!!!!!! :eek: Wires, please !!!!!

wingwalker
11-11-2004, 05:14 PM
AAAAARRRRGGGGG......I HATE YOU.....No I dont really

That is fantastic...im just in the middle of a similar lighting project and having loads of issues.

I hope you write that tutorial soon because i would love to get my hands on that knowledge.

If you have the time to comment on my progress and want to offer any advice I would love to hear it Kitchen WIP (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=30182)

Stunning Image

Rob T

Imatk
11-12-2004, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys :)

Here's the wire:

http://www.samjam.com/Images/ScreenShot.jpg

I'll take a look at your thread and try to help ;)

Jure
11-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Excelent work on lighting. I think you accomplished very well what you were aiming for. SamuraiSlayer does have a point on things he crits but that doesn't realy matter since your goal was to create realistic lighting, which you did.

Now please tell us more about lighting. Did you use radiosity? What settings? What were the render times?

Thanks and keep it up!

nthused
11-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Beautiful work. The only thing I'd add is a pen or quill to write on that paper with...but that's being 'nit-picky'.
Very nice.

kimbodude
11-16-2004, 02:20 AM
very impressive image...excellent work... 1 thing but a very very very small thing is that the furniture hanging against the wall on the top right hand side if to dark to actually see it.... although thats just what i thought... but don't mind me saying...i still think its very cool

mips
11-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Please please pleassssse give us a tutorial pleasssssse

antwik-2
11-17-2004, 04:11 PM
Holy ****!
man thats one of the most photorealistic interiors i even seen!
The modellings seems to be very well done, ant the materials is awsome!
ver nice texturing.

And the light, the light man... gulp
thats a master pice!

silverlw
11-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Aooo! That hurts! :eek:
Really really nice work. Please pretty please with shugar on the top. write the **** tutorial now :p

morghen
11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
hahah ! i first saw this on digital backlot....but i knew it looks way too good to be max or maya ;) :D

LW POWAH ! :D

Imatk
11-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Hey guys... thanks for the comments glad you liked it :)

As for a tutorial I would be happy to write one, I just don't know where to submit it to. Although I have been meaning to do some tutorials on my site... perhaps this is the reason to go ahead and do it ;)

Blasterface
11-19-2004, 09:00 PM
I strongly feel you accomplished your objective on all fronts. I can't imagine how to make it any better it's as good as anything I've seen done in any software.

There is great power in the simplicity of the everyday items shown.

A simply stunning image.

John

Imatk
11-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks John I appreciate that :)

Matt
11-23-2004, 05:17 PM
It amazes and humbles me some of the stuff fellow wavers produce, I can only dream of being this good!!!

Without a doubt best of the best gallery material!

Looks like Octacon has some competition! ;)

- - -

I too would be interested more in how your achieved the lighting (one of the most difficult aspects of 3D IMO).

Did you use FPrime or LightWave's native renderer? How long did it take?

Again, well done, excellent!

colkai
11-24-2004, 03:15 AM
It amazes and humbles me some of the stuff fellow wavers produce, I can only dream of being this good!!!
Looks like Octacon has some competition! ;)

Ya know Matt, my thoughts exactly. A great piece of work and I second your call for some more info on the lighting.

Imatk
01-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Hey guys... I have been meaning to write a tutorial on this scene, but as I've been quite busy I just haven't had the time.

So I'll try to do a quick and dirty description of my lighting.

It's actually not too complicated.

All the lights are area lights. If this had been an animation I might have gone another way but it's not so... area lights ;)

The main source of light is obviously from the outside window. An area light... I forget the settings exactly but it's somewhere in the 120 percent range...this doesn't really have much value in a tut anyway as you guys will be using your own objects and surfaces...but suffice to say that your main source of light should be the brightest (highest value) light.

There are two other lights basically to simulate bounced light in the room. Pointing at the walls and desk.

Now I would suggest to anyone to not even touch radiosity UNTIL you get your lights right. In the past I thought... well all I need to do is throw some rad on there and it will look good...

Well that's true, but not entirely. Your best results will come from lighting the scene properly first... and THEN fiddling with radiosity. In fact most times I find I really don't need to have the radiosity... but it just depends.

In this situation I did use radiosity. I used Fprime so I used the Monte Carlo solution, but the values are actually very low. I only used the rad as a small fill to lighten up any dark spots.

Well that's about it... hope I helped someone and I'm sorry this took so long I was reminded by someone about this today so I figrued I'd throw something together fast :)

etobiason
01-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Cool, thanks Jamie. Again, great image.

GregMalick
01-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Beautiful... it reminds me of something an Old Time Master Painter would do... more photo realistic of course.

The only worthwhile suggestion would be for you to show us more of your work!
:D

cgbloke2004
01-27-2005, 06:41 PM
i'm in love.
awesome work!

the lighting and the texturework are amazing - very subtle, and work just right.
i also like the composition - very natural - it all helps to suspend belief. very nice.

otacon
01-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Looks like Octacon has some competition!

Your dang right i have some competition!
Imatk, if you come home one day and your computer is missing, dont worry its in good hands... :p

Seriously though, this is in my top 10 best lightwave renders of all time. Your right about setting up good lighting first. Its always better if you think of radiosity as a filler, dont rely on it to do all the work. :)

StonyZhang
01-29-2005, 06:28 AM
Soooooo cool,Great Work!!!!!!

bonojerry
01-29-2005, 07:04 AM
This is such a strong piece of work....I have great respect for it.

How much did you think about the point of view in putting this together?

To me, it seems like a child's point of view and this leads to an implied kind of narrative....the child just came around the corner and saw this scene.

I find the narrative aspects of the image really interesting, as it seems to be pulled off by the point of view, the lighting, and the papers on the desk, the positioning of the chair.....

I am wondering what you where thinking about when putting this together?

b o n o j e r r y

fab_69_3d
01-31-2005, 06:56 AM
Terrific work, man...
i m looking for some help about real light environement like your pictures, mostly in interior scene, very very hard.
Great great job, even if there is always to say about some details, we can just appreciate this wonderfull works, but....
Yes there always a "but" word :)
I d like to know more about your rendering time and your way to work (raytrace , monte carlo etc etc)
it s very important i think, because even if it s a great work if it s unproductible it s hard to study this rendering way (sorry for my english i do my best LOL) Do you understand what i mean?
I m working in little enterprise and the rendering time is the matter... For me, all my research fall down soon as touch the monte carlo in Lightwave. Impossible to make something in a correct time render ... so i d like to have your point of view about that and more explaination about your work, thanks a lot...
And really a good work...
your work gives us desire for improving that s the matter :D

3DBob
01-31-2005, 04:30 PM
An accomplished piece

Respect

3DBob

Imatk
01-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

The composition isn't mine unfortunately... I have a photograph and I tried to recreate that in 3d space as closely as I could. Of course it isn't exact, but it's darn close. I liked the lighting in the photo and that's what inspired me to try to recreate it.

Otacon that was you!! **** you!! hehe...

fab_69_3d, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking... but I think you're asking if it's possible to do this kind of thing without Monte Carlo radioisty... the answer is absolutely yes. The difference is you just have to work more on your lighting rig. You probably won't get an EXACT duplicate of the MC render, but you can get darn close.

If you're working on an animation... mostly I use a single area light for my main source, but of course this can change depending... after that just use spots with shadow mapping and a high value for "Shadow Fuzzines" like 8 or 9 or something... that will help out your render times and give you some nice soft fill.

Also remember that the bigger your area light is the softer your shadows will be... so if you need softer shadows then make it bigger... for harder shadows... make it smaller. And you can also lower the quality of the area light from the default "4" to 2 or 3... if you need to... I wouldn't go with 1 because you'll get a lot of artifacting from that... but 2 or 3 usually do the trick.

Good luck :)

peteb
02-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Amazing work.
One thing that stuck me is how good the candle looks, how did you achieve that SSS effect?

Pete B

lardbros
02-02-2005, 02:10 PM
:D WOWEEEEE!! Dunno what kind of eyesight the guy has who had bad points about THIS!!!! No purpose? You gotta be kidding. It reminds me of millions of things; The classic movie Young Sherlock Holmes, and A Beautiful Mind... a chilly morning with a low sun. And about the "bars" on the window, thy're not bars, just leaded window panes, doesnt look much like a prison to me! :rolleyes:

Brilliant, and love the composition!

ravantra
02-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Wonderful
I keep a folder of great images that people have posted thru the years I am definitely adding this. I show these to my students as to what can be accomplished.

Love it

jeyem
02-16-2005, 07:12 PM
very nice work especially the lighting. I hope you could come up with the tutorials on this. Excellent!!! keep it up

Imatk
02-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Thanks again for the comments guys :)

And ravantra I'm honored that you would show this to students to teach :D

peteb, the SSS on the candle is Worley's G2 plugin.

And jeyem I actually did a quick tutorial in this thread, just look back one page.

Ramon
02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Jamie,
GREAT WORK!!!
Way to go! :)

chemaelizondo
02-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Is nice to be reminded of the reason why I bought LW.
Such high standard is humbling and inspireing too.

I guess many of us could use a tutorial about your stile of texturing (if is not much to ask).

Fenomenal job my friend!

Cheers

Ramon
02-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Is nice to be reminded of the reason why I bought LW.
Such high standard is humbling and inspireing too.

I guess many of us could use a tutorial about your stile of texturing (if is not much to ask).

Fenomenal job my friend!

Cheers

I agree. The lighting in the scene is predominantly no.1. The texturing is very nice also!

Fausto
02-19-2005, 12:16 PM
this is my first post in about 5 months, so anyways...

i really like it but...
1. the bars going across the window look really flat
2. the texture on the chairs needs some work
3. the thing in the corner looks fake for some reason, i think its the color saturation/contrast
4. the wall looks really flat. a bump map or something would help
5. the scene lacks purpose. what/who's room is it? where is it? what's special about it? if you could incorporate some details into the picture that indicate these things it would be better
6. volumetric light ta make the scene look dusty... this may or may not ruin the feel of the picture but its worth a try

i have soooo lost my lightwave dialect. but im workin on it... :)

-SS

Honestly, I don't see it. If there is such a thing as a master piece in CG based art this is as clear an example as there is. This is incredible work, and like every great piece of art not everthing is hyper-literally described or defined, including the concept, the small minded need everything spoon fed to them. This piece lets me participate with my own imagination and ideas, I create the story, I fill in the gaps, I become an eager participant.. Absolutely one of the best I've seen.

Cheers,

GregMalick
02-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Fausto,
I'm totally in agreement with you. That's why I called this Masterful. :)

Imatk,
How did you get that window glass to look so great?
It's got such a wonderful smeary/blurry look with what seems like back-light reflections.

Would you share some of your glass techniques so that that some of us might learn some of the artistry and craftmanship of this piece.

I hate to sound gushy - but this work just resonates with me. It's the kind of level I only hope to acheive some day.