PDA

View Full Version : Performance hit with VT4

Ivan
11-04-2004, 10:22 AM
I am working with someone with their VT4 and we are getting quite a performance hit. He used to be able to run 3 to 4 streams with no problems and now he can't do 2. I am finding that with my system I have the same issue sometimes. Tried setting the CPU Cache settings, tried setting the PCI bus settings no combination seems to be working. Any ideas? I know that when I turned off ISS on some old VT3 projects, things worked better but this is on new projects and ISS is already off.

If this can't be fixed he wants to go back to VT3. Since VT4 did a core update, can he do this?

Thanks,

Ivan

Jim_C
11-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Thats very sad to hear Ivan. Most folks have been reporting that VT4 runs faster on their machines than VT3 did. Maybe they really do just mean faster, which does not necessarily mean more streams.

After the stream losing performance hit everyone took with patch 3 4909 (long discussion recently on vtnt about it), another performance hit could be a sale killer for many.

Ivan
11-04-2004, 12:44 PM
My experience has been that it works great with DV footage as compared to 3. I have had some glitches but it isn't taking most of my life waiting for a one hour clip to make the wave form and all. The response time in the timeline is almost good enough that I don't have to turn the icons off. The down side again is it seems to be fewer streams. Projects that played fine with VT3 are balking in VT4. Sometimes as few as two layers causes the audio to get choppy and the video to stutter. If anyone has any ideas to resolve this I am willing to try it.

Ivan

Original1
11-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Just guessing since I don't have VT[4] yet but on my old system I had same thing with VT[3] I found that turning the PCI bandwidth down did it for me.

The defualts that VT[4] uses to tune your sytem might be higher than VT[3]

Ivan
11-04-2004, 06:18 PM
I finally talked to Newtek and I was told that VT4 takes more bandwidth. Hmm, just to put exactly the same video through it? It was also mentioned that somethings might not be as efficient in VT4 as they were in 3. They are working to correct this but in the meantime.... Over all, it is not unusable, it's just that after you have gotten used to 5 layers with audio and motion it's hard to have to mess around with just 2 layers and no motion just to get it to play back smoothly.

Ivan

SBowie
11-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Over all, it is not unusable, it's just that after you have gotten used to 5 layers with audio and motion it's hard to have to mess around with just 2 layers and no motion just to get it to play back smoothly.Ivan That just doesn't seem right to me. I'm getting 4 layers reliably with the cache disabled on a SATA system sitting here running VT[4] on the old board.

Ivan
11-04-2004, 10:05 PM
I agree. I have tried a number of things on the system and nothing seems to solve the problem I finally called Newtek today and they didn't have anything new to try. I am certainly open to any ideas. I have been able to get 3 layers of DV on my system but last night I put 2 RTV layers in and it balked. I have not spent as much time on my system because the last couple of projects have been straight forward single layer edit projects and I haven't needed to but it was a little disheartening to see it balk on 2 layers.

Ivan

james_dmi
11-05-2004, 05:18 AM
Have you made sure your cache and video are set to your fast drives Probably but I didn't see anyone ask this. Also did you just install VT4 or did you do an entire system re-install?

james_dmi
11-05-2004, 05:23 AM
That just doesn't seem right to me. I'm getting 4 layers reliably with the cache disabled on a SATA system sitting here running VT[4] on the old board.

What drives, controller, Mboard and CPU are you using?

Cheers

James

Ivan
11-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Just installed VT4 and all settings are correct based on my experience. Cache settings, CPU settings all were set to the same settings that they were on VT3.

I was the one that set up VT3 on this system and it worked fine. I have gone over everything with a fine tooth comb and nothing jumped out at me so I started trying different settings. Nothing seemed to help so I came here. There were few ideas presented here that I hadn't already tried so I called Newtek. There isn't much else to try here but I'm still willing to listen.

Ivan

Rich Deustachio
11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Just to pass on my experience, I recently upgraded my dual 1.7 Xeons to 2.4s and when I removed the old CPUs the fan intakes on the heat sinks were clogged with dust. I had noticed a slowing down of my system after VT3 and am waiting for my VT4 to arrive so I can't comment on that, but I feel the clogged cooling of the CPUs had something to do with me losing some layer capabilities.

SBowie
11-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Just installed VT4 and all settings are correct based on my experience. Cache settings, CPU settings all were set to the same settings that they were on VT3.It does seem to be quite a coincidence, but then if coincidences never happened we wouldn't have a word for them...

Down to basics - have you tested the throughput speed of the array?

Ivan
11-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Auto config suggests that it is at 120Plus. I don't remember the exact number, I think 124.

Ivan

SBowie
11-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Auto config suggests that it is at 120Plus. I don't remember the exact number, I think 124.

IvanSeems reasonable enough, ought to support 4 streams or better. The figures seem low for U320, and a shade high for U160 - or was that with WinRTME running? Have you got a copy of disktest.exe to try after killing WinRTME?