PDA

View Full Version : Old Screamernet problem

NigelH
11-04-2004, 08:29 AM
I recently re-installed LightWave[8], and upon launching Screamernet (LWSN) for the first time, I get a window with "Argument:" then a text field, and an "OK" and "Quit" buttons. At the bottom are two boxes with "Console" and "File" radio buttons. If I click "OK", a window quickly flashes on the screen, then Screamernet quits.

I remember seeing this window in the dim, distant past, but I don't recall what it means, nor what I have to do to get Screamernet running normally (or at least 'launching', since running normally might be a bit much to ask). Anyone know what it means?

eblu
11-04-2004, 09:09 AM
nigel,
it means that your screamernet is asking for its instructions... which in turn means that your
/LightWave[8]/programs/LWSN comdLine
file is blank and you have to rebuild it.

generally to recap what many people have already put into words many times over,

you:
1. open the file mentioned in a plaint text editor (i use Xcode, bbedit is good and so is text edit If you turn on Plaintext)

2. put :
-2 -c"path:To:yourpref files" "path:to:your:job1File" "path:To:your:ack1File"
into the command line (or something equally as witty)

3. save file, close it (repeat as needed for each individual processor)

4. open LW change its command directory (in the network rendering panel) to be the same as the one you specified in the LWSN cmdLine file.

5. at this point consider getting bryane's wonderful renderfarm controller... cross your fingers and give it a whirl... when it doesn't work right away don't worry that is Screamernet's Value added, wouldn't be right if it just worked, its supposed to make you scream.

troubleshooting highlights:
LWSN needs access to your app's plugins, either it can't find the pref files that point to them, or sceamernet can't access the directory because it doesn't have permissions (i run LWSN as another user, permissions was a huge problem)

LWSN may render black frames... this is usually due to a bad content directory. open LW set the content to the same content the scene file comes from, quit LW, relaunch LWSN and then start all over.

sounds like you worked most of this out a long time ago... so I hope this stirs up your memory enough so that you can recapture the glory that is your own personal LWSN setup.

NigelH
11-04-2004, 11:09 AM
sounds like you worked most of this out a long time ago... so I hope this stirs up your memory enough so that you can recapture the glory that is your own personal LWSN setup.

Many thanks! And you're quite right. It's a combination of a fuzzy memory (probably age related) and lack of time for a lengthy process of diagnosis/troubleshooting.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

BaseZero
11-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Many thanks! And you're quite right. It's a combination of a fuzzy memory (probably age related) and lack of time for a lengthy process of diagnosis/troubleshooting.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Here's something to consider instead of using ScreamerNet solo…

www.brucerayne.com

It's absolutely awesome and takes the "screaming" out of ScreamerNet…