PDA

View Full Version : Rendering multiple angles with scripting

natha1
11-04-2004, 07:21 AM
I just recently got a copy of LW 8 and it's a big switch from Strata CX.

I was wondering if anybody here knows a simple way to script cameras to render and change the camera's position/rotation, render and change the camera's position/rotation, etc...

Let me explain what I'm doing:

I have six cameras that have a 90 degree view to form a perfect square. They are each pointing forward, backward, left, right, up and down, respectively to make a cubic panorama.

I have to render each of them separately or make a six frame animation with the camera at a different angle each frame. That means if I'm away from my computer for a few hours I will still only be able to render one of the cameras and my computer will sit idle after it renders. My friend and I have been working on a game for the last year or so and I can't really use the 6 frame animation without preplanning every detail animationwise before I place my cameras. That doesn't seem too feasable. I want to be able to make them render one after the other without doing it manually and I want to do it independantly of animation. Is this possible in any way? Even if I have to resolve to writing a "plugin.p" file with the SDK.

Thanks for any help!!!
Nathan Warden

Mylenium
11-04-2004, 09:56 AM
I just recently got a copy of LW 8 and it's a big switch from Strata CX.

I was wondering if anybody here knows a simple way to script cameras to render and change the camera's position/rotation, render and change the camera's position/rotation, etc...

Let me explain what I'm doing:

I have six cameras that have a 90 degree view to form a perfect square. They are each pointing forward, backward, left, right, up and down, respectively to make a cubic panorama.

I have to render each of them separately or make a six frame animation with the camera at a different angle each frame. That means if I'm away from my computer for a few hours I will still only be able to render one of the cameras and my computer will sit idle after it renders. My friend and I have been working on a game for the last year or so and I can't really use the 6 frame animation without preplanning every detail animationwise before I place my cameras. That doesn't seem too feasable. I want to be able to make them render one after the other without doing it manually and I want to do it independantly of animation. Is this possible in any way? Even if I have to resolve to writing a "plugin.p" file with the SDK.

Thanks for any help!!!
Nathan Warden

What's so dificult about splitting your 1 scene into 6 and render them with ScreamerNet? Or write down your camera values for each plane and then create an animation path with stepped interpolation for one camera? That should not be dificult at all. BTW, a "simple" plugin won't help you - unless you write a Pixel filter that replaces LW's own cameras, nothing will be achieved. Cameras cannot be switched, since for the renderer only one cam really exists in the scene at any given time. The same is valid for other programs such as Maya, even though there at least are some workarounds.

Mylenium

Exper
11-04-2004, 10:07 AM
You can do it quite easily using Camera Director by Andy Nicholas (http://www.andynicholas.com/thezone/index.php?area=downloads).

These are the steps you need to make it works (a little more verbose than the included doc):
- Add all the cameras you need
- Select the first (main) Camera
- Click "m" to open the Motion panel
- Add CameraDirector (it will complain abuot some envelopes... will see it later) then click ok.
- Double click CameraDirector or open the Graph Editor and locate the "CameraDirector / CurrentCamera" channel
- Add keyframes to this channel

- Every kayframe must be has Incoming Curve to Stepped

- The values are the Camera you're selecting:
Main Camera 0->0.99
Second Camera 1.0->1.99
Third Camera 2.0->2.99
and go on

If you want preserve Zoom Factor, Particle Blur Length, DoF Focal Distance or DoF Lens F-Stop envelopes (or more than one) in one or more Cameras then you must add an empty envelope in the main Camera for everyone you want preserve.

Both Layout and Renderer will use these settings.

Hoping it may help! ;)

natha1
11-04-2004, 10:16 AM
I'll try the camera director plugin!!! Otherwise I'll just deal with it until I get a hang of LW.

I appreciate the comments!!!
Nathan Warden