PDA

View Full Version : Bring A Spring To Life

BEDOFDOLLS
11-04-2004, 03:41 AM
Im doing an animation of a spring compressing, the spring was created in rhino, so its a dense mesh once i brought it to lightwave.

I've never tryied to animate a spring (make it compress) i know how roughly, but will it work with a mesh or does it have to be a sub-patched object?

Ashley Allen

glassefx
11-04-2004, 09:56 AM
It will work on either... You'll have to insert bones I am thinking - since it's a native rhino object. You can do a search on here under my name and spring or shock... You have to use the lathe tool if your making the object and its relative morph taget (in LW.)

As far as doing it with a rhino object. I used to be a rhino head and I know it has the tools to do it (make an exact replica of the spring except it being compressed) - but doing it is another thing...

You could build a helix of small bones that follow the helix and then constrain them to move only up and down (Y axis is the only one on) and make the Y constraints something like + or - 2 or 3 (maybe more) degrees.

you'll need a holder bone at the bottom of the spring to keep it from moving and IK the last bone (which is a small place-holder bone) and use a NULL that you can slide up and down to compress the spring.

Lots of work there for sure but possible.

peace

wizlon
11-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Create the spring in lightwave, make 1 un-compressed and another compressed wiith the same number of polys, use the background two morph plug-in on the compressed spring, take into layout and animate the morph mixer values.

works really well.

Cheers.

BEDOFDOLLS
11-04-2004, 11:46 AM
thanks alot for the help, i would like to show u how it works but the company its for wont let me show the work.

Thanks again

Ash

SplineGod
11-04-2004, 11:53 PM
read this thread:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=29979