PDA

View Full Version : constraining 45's with Knife tool

theo
11-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I may be an utter dimwit or this just isn't possible and I am correct-

Has anyone found a way to constrain the knife tool to 45 degree cuts. I know the knife tool can be constrained to right angles using the ctrl key but the additional feature of cutting perfect 45's with the knife tool would be invaluable to me and I am wondering if I am missing something here.

Thanks a millio

Hervé
11-03-2004, 11:49 PM
You can always rotate your object 45° using ctrl (temporaly), cut it staright with Knife, then re-rotate your object -45° again using crtl or numeric panel... :D

theo
11-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Yes that is something I do already with smaller objects. The problem is with very long architectural cornices and/or similar detailing.

Let's say for example we have a wall that is very choppped up as far as angles go with quite a few 90's and 45's, it is easier, at least in my opinion, to slap the cornice objects (duplicated several times) against these various joing walls and corners and to simply use the knife tool to cut across to overlapping cornice objects where you then end up with a perfect corner on the cornice after the refuse is deleted.

Now, I say perfect, it LOOKS perfect but the fact of the matter is it would be incredibly fast if I could just constrain the knife to one of the three degrees that are most used in a right angle between 0 and 90 which obviously are 22.5, 45, 67.5 degrees. Obviously you can line the knife up perfectly but that takes extra seconds whereas slapping a constrained 45 degree Knife slice down and then dragging it to the cut would be most efficient especially if there are several on the same layer.

Hervé
11-04-2004, 07:23 AM
yes it is just a turnaround, a constrained knife with options for the constrain would be wonder... but meanwhile.... just turnarounds.... :D ;)

theo
11-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Yup- workaround city it seems like sometimes. Thanks for the feedback though Herve.