PDA

View Full Version : Mixing endomorphs and dynamics?

Snosrap
11-03-2004, 08:45 PM
Is it possible to mix endomorphs and dynamics? I created a spring with a endomorph for the compression of the spring. I am playing around with dynamics and want the spring to compress when it drops and hits the floor. I've tried replicating the compression with ClothFX and SoftFX, but the spring wire flattens out, so I thought a morph would be the ticket. However it appears that morphs and dynamics don't work together. Can anyone shed some light on this?

After further testing it does not appear that the various "FX" dynamics can be mixed as well. Is that right or am I completely missing something. The Help file and manual don't seem to be much help when it comes to the Dynamics. I can get my spring to waver and compress fairly well with SoftFX, but then when I add HardFX the SoftFX no longer works.

Thanks
Snos

Dodgy
11-04-2004, 04:20 AM
Depends how you add them. Hard fx is for keeping everything rigid, so it's most likely not going to work if placed AFTER soft FX. However if you add it BEFORE soft or cloth FX, the object will wobble around, using the hard fx motion as a base..

Michaelb
11-04-2004, 06:24 PM
You could try adding "FX_MetaLink_Morph" after FX_MetaLink or FX_HardLink in the object displacement list (under the "Deform" tab, not the "Dynamics" tab). If I understand it correctly, that should allow you to let the dynamics do their stuff and read the morph too. (The old way was to use the MD_MetaPlug_Morph with Motion Designer. It seems to do the same sort of thing.) As always, check the manual before you believe anything I say. :)

SplineGod
11-04-2004, 11:48 PM
You can mix any displacements with dynamics.
Heres an example of mixing endomorphs with dynamics:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/tentacles.mov

Ive done the spring example you mentioned with no problems.
Create a helical spline. Rail extrude your spring using the spline as the background rail. Convert the spline to a string of 2 point polys. It works best if each point in the string of 2 point polys corresponds to a cross section of vertices on your spring.

So put your string of 2 point polys in layer 1 and the spring in layer 2.
In Layout you can apply dynamics to layer 1 or use a bone to deform it.
Once you do that apply softfx to the object in layer 1 and immediately hit calc.
Parent the spring in layer 2 to the 2 point poly string in layer 1 and apply metalink to the spring. The spring will now compress without deforming its shape. :)