PDA

View Full Version : Follower/expression thing.....

Johnnyx
11-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi Folks... back to the oracle(s) again!

This one is getting a bit tricky... I am pouring over the manual as I type... here we go..

My character is rigged. He is a chunky space guy with large shoulder pads. When I move his arm up, his upper arm cuts into the shoulder pad. So.... I am looking for a way of Rotating the shoulder pad on Z when I move the Ik arm up.

Currently I am looking at the Follower Modifier (nay luck).. but perhaps I should be looking at Expressions? (in which case I am knackered/clueless)

Any straight forward solutions chaps/chapesses?

Thanks!

Dodgy
11-03-2004, 04:34 PM
You could use Hard link. Copy and paste your armour parts into another layer, then parent that layer to your boned object. Run ClothFX on your boned object, and select the whole object as 'Fixed'. Apply FX Hard Link (in the deformation tab plugins) to your armour object, and then it should follow your boned object as it moves and animates.

Johnnyx
11-03-2004, 05:39 PM
You could use Hard link. Copy and paste your armour parts into another layer, then parent that layer to your boned object. Run ClothFX on your boned object, and select the whole object as 'Fixed'. Apply FX Hard Link (in the deformation tab plugins) to your armour object, and then it should follow your boned object as it moves and animates.

Woooha! - stepped through this a couple of times Dodgy.... but must be missing something.... nuthin' doing..... will try again in the morning.... !

I am surprised there isn't a simple modifier for this - it seems sooooo handy... I even tried "Set driven keys" in the Graph editor.. ( I remember a similar function/feature from Maya which worked really well) but... well I just can't get it to work....

hmmmmmm

Dodgy
11-04-2004, 03:18 AM
Ooops!
Did you press calculate? I missed that step. Basically cloth FX gives LW the data of your object moving, and then this is applied to your hard linked object. it's great if you have a lot of objects which have to be rigid, but still follow a character.

You could use any of the methods you described, but I would think they'd be tricky to get right (with all the different movements the arm can make)

Johnnyx
11-04-2004, 05:30 AM
..Doah! ... calculate!!! sigh... will try again - cheers Dodgy.

BTW - I have an ok-ish result with Follower ... but someone needs to write a "Follower+" - with limits and damping.... hmmmmmm