PDA

View Full Version : RenderFarm Commander… Wow!!

BaseZero
11-03-2004, 11:18 AM
I just had to drop a comment in here about ScreamerNet and RenderFarm Commander.

Having been a Lightwave user since version 5.0 on the Mac Platform, I am no stranger to the ScreamerNet frustrations that exist.

This is just a quick email to let anyone who's interested in knowing that there is an amazing application out there for the Mac OSX platform that goes by the name of RenderFarm Commander. You'll find it at http://www.brucerayne.com.

There is a free version, but if you buy the "Hobby" version, it will support up to 8 nodes and will set up everything including the render nodes automatically!

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a PC version yet, but it will currently support PC nodes on an OSX network, (unsupported and still in testing though.)

Good luck,
Jim

Thomas
11-05-2004, 02:12 AM
Isn't it lovely?!

I bought the hobby-version yesterday and got it up and running with five nodes in 10 minutes.

The ten minutes it took was setting up accounts on the different macs and connecting with Timbuktu ;)

Even got a PC up and running aswell... (Had some trouble connecting but "Sharepoints" sorted it out.)

It's awsome!

Regards
Thomas

BaseZero
11-05-2004, 11:00 AM
Yes, can't live without it…

Took a look at your site by the way, nice showing, keep up the good work!

Jim

Thomas
11-08-2004, 01:20 AM
But, ouch, need to update it... :rolleyes:

Regards
Thomas

BaseZero
11-08-2004, 09:07 AM
But, ouch, need to update it... :rolleyes:

Yes, I know that all too well… actually, we'll be completely redesigning our site within the month… have an all new identity created, new logo, professionally written copy, nice brochure about to be printed along with the interactive CD and DVD… can't wait!

JML
11-08-2004, 11:13 AM
can it render on PC nodes ?

exit6
11-09-2004, 12:32 AM
can it render on PC nodes ?
I've managed to get ScreamerNet to render with Macs and PC's, but scenes made on a Mac are slightly different, and the difference makes the PC unable to save the files. Basically it's told to save in a spot that isn't where it should be, so it renders and doesn't save. Bruce says Renderfarm Commander can make the scenes PC friendly to fix this. I plan on trying it tonight. But the software is great, I bought the hobby version last night. What's really cool is you can render on RFC in the background and work on a scene *with a different command directory* in the foreground. This saved my *** the other day!

SplineGod
11-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a PC version yet, but it will currently support PC nodes on an OSX network, (unsupported and still in testing though.)

Good luck,
Jim

Jeez I hate that! Why do these plugins always have to come out on the Mac first? ;)

somnambulance
11-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Jeez I hate that! Why do these plugins always have to come out on the Mac first? ;)

I have always thought Networking on Macs is EXTREMELY simple compared to PC's, and it seemed like it should be really simple (compared to windows) to get an automated system going. I want to check this out.

Matt
11-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Have to say, it looks really nice, shame a PC version isn't available! But then us PC owners do seem to have mostly our own way when it comes to plugins!!!

Really wish I was good enough at programming, I'd love to write my own Screamernet utility!

Studio Dweller
11-10-2004, 09:15 AM
I'll add one more happy customer to the list. I bought the hobby version of RenderFarm Commander a few weeks ago. I've never set up a render farm before and I had my G5, G4 and a PowerBook jointly rendering an animation in about 10 or 15 minutes. Great piece of software that works as advertised and is very reasonably priced.

BaseZero
11-10-2004, 11:26 PM
I've managed to get ScreamerNet to render with Macs and PC's, but scenes made on a Mac are slightly different, and the difference makes the PC unable to save the files. Basically it's told to save in a spot that isn't where it should be, so it renders and doesn't save. Bruce says Renderfarm Commander can make the scenes PC friendly to fix this. I plan on trying it tonight. But the software is great, I bought the hobby version last night. What's really cool is you can render on RFC in the background and work on a scene *with a different command directory* in the foreground. This saved my *** the other day!Have to agree with you on the background rendering… I've always been able to get ScreamerNet up and running without too much trouble, but never could seem to do the "directory dance" that you can with RenderFarm Commander… simply fabulous.

Larry, I know how you feel with all these "Mac-only" plugins… the inhumanity of it all… :D

mats4d_
11-17-2004, 07:55 PM
Hey guys,

I just got renderfarm commander tonite, I got it to work on the mac (one node only) I have two pc's i'd like to get going also.

Is there any kind of documentation on how to do this? I wrote to Bruce Rayne the creator of RFC and he said he's working on the docs though.. any ideas on how to get started in the meantime?

thanks ! Much appreciated

BaseZero
11-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Hey guys,

I just got renderfarm commander tonite, I got it to work on the mac (one node only) I have two pc's i'd like to get going also.

Is there any kind of documentation on how to do this? I wrote to Bruce Rayne the creator of RFC and he said he's working on the docs though.. any ideas on how to get started in the meantime?

thanks ! Much appreciatedYou should be able to get some information in the docs that came with it. Bruce writes that it isn't a "supported" feature but that it should work. I personally am using it in an "all Mac" environment, so I can't really help you out beyond what I came across, again in the user docs.

Thomas
11-18-2004, 01:14 AM
thanks ! Much appreciated
Well, I got it up and running with a few PCs as well as macs and the most important thing is the mapping of the drive. Go to Versiontracker.com and do a search for "sharepoints" and download it. With this utility you can share any drive or folder via smb (Samba?!).

In RFC set up the PC-path to whatever letter you choose.
Example:
The sharing mac "Drive/3D/Work/"

The problem I had with this is that I tried to simply share a folder, it didn't work. I had to share ALL my drives so that the path became correct. Otherwise RFC adds to it so the command sent to the node becomes doubled ("G:\Drive\3D\Work\3D\Work\").

You then connect the mac drive on the pc and gives it the correct drive-letter.
Results for pc "G:\Drive\3D\Work\"

Also, you have to manually edit the "startup_node" and "end_node" batch-files for the PC so that they match the location of the working directory and where to find it's config files. I copied the configs and put them in the prefs folder RFC creates for the various nodes.

Well, there is a bit trial and error to it but it shouldn't be any problem. Let me know how it goes. Good luck! :)

Regards
Thomas

mats4d_
11-18-2004, 03:32 AM
awesome !

thanks for the help Thomas, Ill give it a try tomorrow and see what happens.

nu måste jag spara pengar och byta 100% till mac :)

Thomas
11-18-2004, 03:41 AM
Hahaha! Trodde jag läste fel först, svenska här?

Try it, if you get stuck somewhere let me know and I'll help out the best I can.

Regards
Thomas

mats4d_
11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
hahh koolt.

nääh.. jag är inte svensk, amerikansk (?) jag har lärt svenska mig själv , och några andra språk.

jag måste practisera lite mer.. hoppas att du förstår mig nu

vi läses på forum då

hej och tack igen

exit6
11-18-2004, 07:07 PM
The problem I had with this is that I tried to simply share a folder, it didn't work. I had to share ALL my drives so that the path became correct. Otherwise RFC adds to it so the command sent to the node becomes doubled ("G:\Drive\3D\Work\3D\Work\").

You then connect the mac drive on the pc and gives it the correct drive-letter.
Results for pc "G:\Drive\3D\Work\"

I'm trying to do this too with no luck. Listen if you're ever not in Sweden and you feel like fixing my system, let me know.

Thomas
11-19-2004, 12:56 AM
I'm trying to do this too with no luck. Listen if you're ever not in Sweeden and you feel like fixing my system, let me know.
Well, I'm in sweden most of the time but let's try anyway ;)

What does LWSN on the PC-node is say?
Does the node have access to the PC-plugins?
How many nodes are you working with?

I think we can fix this over the net, otherwise you are more than welcome to stop by for a nice cup of "weinermelange"!

Regards
Thomas

Thomas
11-19-2004, 12:57 AM
hahh koolt.

nääh.. jag är inte svensk, amerikansk (?) jag har lärt svenska mig själv , och några andra språk.

jag måste practisera lite mer.. hoppas att du förstår mig nu

vi läses på forum då

hej och tack igen
Your swedish is as good as my english!

Regards
Thomas

mats4d_
11-21-2004, 02:37 PM
heh great ! I take that as a compliment ;)

still working on the PC node issue, ill let you know if I get it to work, I think Bruce Rayne is going to post some official info on his site at some point according to him

talk soon!

Meshbuilder
11-22-2004, 02:09 AM
mats4d_ du pratar riktigt bra svenska!

Why did you dicided to learn swedish of all languages?

mats4d_
12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
hejsan Meshbuilder.

tack för komplimanger, jag måste practicera lite mer =)

jag är radioamatör, var lite interesserad av skandinaviska språk, jag talar några andra olicka språk också, hoppas at lära japanska snart.

Hard to find time to learn languages as a hobby anymore anyway :(

hey, Bruce Rayne just emailed me an update, he's releasing renderfarm commander 3.0 and I just got a G5 working with 2 PC, it was super easy after all, he also released some preview documentation, thought Id spread the word on this great product

http://www.brucerayne.com/renderfarm.html

I think he will post the update on his site very soon

all the best, thanks again for the help

ddaniels
12-07-2004, 03:57 PM
so is anyone running it on the pc over a File server if so whats the trick

brayne
12-08-2004, 01:02 AM
so is anyone running it on the pc over a File server if so whats the trick

Haven't written the documentation for that just yet. Send me an email:
[email protected]

and I'll email you the instructions as soon as I've written them.

Bruce

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all the lovely compliments!

Bog
04-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Bruce,

If you could post your PC instructions up here, that'd be great!

brayne
04-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Hi Bog,

The easiest solution for PC node use is to download this RenderFarm Commander pre-release. It has 8.2 support (selectable from the preferences), as well as a few new features that are documented (briefly) in an included pdf file. It also contains a short set of instructions on how to use the new version with PC nodes.

http://www.brucerayne.com/rfcprerelease298.sit

Incidentally, the only reason why this version hasn't been officially released is that I'm really dragging the chain with the updating of the manual!

All registered RenderFarm Commander users will receive notification when the manual, and the official release are available. (Shouldn't be long now)

In the meantime this pre-release should get you up and running with your PC nodes.

Bruce

Bog
04-28-2005, 04:34 AM
Well, that just rocked the box Bruce :D Thanks a bundle for that.

I try not to go too much into hyperbole, but if nothing else RFC is turning out the be the absolute best value-for-money plugin I've ever seen for LW. Rigging an 8-machine, mixed platform network in about 3 minutes... pinch me, I'm dreaming.

Captain Obvious
04-28-2005, 04:41 AM
Wow, more Swedes? :cool: