PDA

View Full Version : Eye setup, and parenting issues.....please help.

meanlebh
11-02-2004, 08:18 PM
I have a character that I have set up for animating, just about finished with everything...I am trying to get the eyes to target and follow a null rather than making morphs for each eye......should be very very simple i know...but for some reason i am having a lot of trouble... here is what is going on.

the bones in the eyes target the nulls just fine, however, this is only when the eye bones aren't parented to anything but the figure....when i try to parent the eye bones to the head bone, things go haywire.....I have parent in place turned on, and the bones themselves dont' actually move, but the actual eyes move and buldge out of the head quite substantially making the bones i have in there completely worthless...

does anyone know what i am doing wrong here?? if anyone is wondering I am using the tutorial on the newtek site for eye rigging as a guide. I did not follow it directly, I set mine up before i saw the tutorial, but i have checked it over time and time again just to make sure, and my set up is pretty much 100% the same.

also, another quick question....in the tutorial it says to check off "use weight map only" in the bone properties...i generally don't use this, but when i did, it did actually return the eyes to their original position, but when i move the bones with the null, the eyes do not rotate at all......

SplineGod
11-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Are the eyes separate objects? If youre parenting the eye bones to the head bone then I would say that they eyes are part of the head mesh? If that the case youll probably need to rerest the eyebones or possiblely all the bones to get the eyes to behave.
What I would do is just make the eyes 2 separate objects. Make sure they have their pivot points set to their exact centers. Parent each eye to the head bone. You can then target the eyes directly instead of using bones.

meanlebh
11-03-2004, 12:34 AM
hmmm, never really thought of doing that, but it makes a lot of sense. it is late right now and i am finally going to bed, but i will give it a shot in the morning. thanks for your help, you are always a big help on these forums!

Thomas M.
09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi Larry,

I used the same method, but unfortunately I can't rotate the eyes around their center anymore as the eye get "deformed away" from their pivot point. They eyes stay exactly in the position where they should be (eyesocket), but their pivot point stays in the position before the bone deformation took place.

Any guesses?

Cheers
Thomas

SplineGod
09-20-2008, 12:01 PM
That shouldnt happen if the eyes are separate objects. If they are simply parented to a bone but not deformed by the bones they should be fine.

Tom Wood
09-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Four YEARS later Larry picks up where he left off. Well done!

Thomas M.
09-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Actually they are parented to the head object, not a bone, and I activated the "use bones from" option. Otherwise the eyes wouldn't maintain their position to the eyelids.

Your suggestion is to simply parent the eyes to the bones, but not use them for deformation?

SplineGod
09-20-2008, 03:26 PM
Correct, JUST use the bones for parenting the eyes to but not for deformations.