PDA

View Full Version : Replacing objects in a scene

sjon
11-02-2004, 05:42 PM
I used a number of single layer, low poly count objects in setting up a scene. Now I want to replace those objects with more complicated objects that have multiple layers using the replace command in Layout (allowing me to keep the scale and placement of the original low poly objects. When I try, Layout replaces the low poly object with only the outermost layer of the new high poly object and ignores the subsequent layers. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to get all the layers into the scene?

Thanks in advance,

Sjon

SplineGod
11-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Collapse the layers into a single layer or do a load from layer in layout to get the subsequent layers to load. :)

ingo
11-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Well as NurbsGod says, you have to load the other layers seperatly. The replace object command is in reality a replace first layer command.

sjon
11-03-2004, 10:45 AM
I had three cylinders rotating around a central axis inside of a cannister - each cylinder with a texure map. So I collpased everything into one layer and rotated the texture maps instead of the cylinder. From now on, when I place low poly placeholders, I'll make sure that the low poly object has the same nymber of layers as the high poly object, but, in this project, I went too far to back up and replace everything. All this just goes to show that you need to test, test, test at every step.

Again, thanks for responding so quickly.

Sjon