PDA

View Full Version : VT4 and Type 2 DV problems

Ivan
11-02-2004, 08:39 AM
I have been working with VT4 for about a week and a half now and though it works much better with DV files than 3 did I am still having problems. The audio is not matching up about 50% of the time. Sometimes it is off a couple frames and sometimes it is off a couple of seconds. Usually I can "bump" it over and it will stay in sync through out the clip but that's not as fun as just editing the clip and it does cause other issues.

On one tape, DV capture quit at the same point each time I tried to capture. I finally set the capture to start 3 seconds before that point and it still quit there. Final Cut an the Matrox system did not have this problem. On the same tape the audio would play back at roughly half speed while the video was playing full speed. The last frame of the video would be stretched to the length of the clip making the video twice as long as it should be.

VT4
Dual 3 Xeons
2 gigs of Memory
X5DA8
Generic Firewire
VT3 card

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ivan

John Perkins
11-02-2004, 09:41 AM
If your firewire card doesn't have a Texas Instruments chipset this will happen. I tried MANY different chipsets and only this one seems to work.

Good luck

Ivan
11-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Haven't had the machine open for a while but I'm pretty sure that this was one of the things that I made sure of when I got the card. I know that is one of my recomendations when people ask about 1394 cards so I can't imagine that I didn't follow it.

Ivan

mgrusin
11-02-2004, 11:51 AM
This is a longshot, but are you using footage from a Canon XL-1 (not XL-1s)? The XL-1 has a known issue where the audio is recorded at the wrong rate and is consistently off by 20 frames over an hour (ask how I know). :rolleyes:

Other than that, it sounds a lot like the DV2 problems in VT3 (which I always suspected was due to bad video or audio frames, as it seemed worse to me on dirty/noisy tapes...)

Hope we all see improvements here! -MG.

Ivan
11-02-2004, 12:55 PM
All footage was shot on new tapes. Most footage was shot with 2 Sony VX2000s some shot with a single chip Canon. Used a VX2000 to input the footage and used the single chip Canon to input the footage, no difference. Final Cut does not have the problem but I really don't want to have to use that to edit. This is definately a problem either with my system or VT4.

Ivan

JReble
11-02-2004, 01:04 PM
If you go into your windows device manager and look at the system settings under hardware, it should list your firewire card as a TI IEEE device or a Texas Instruments IEEE card etc. If it only says something like OHCI complaint IEEE device then more than likely it's not a TI chipset. I've had issues with non TI cards. I'm wondering why there is any other kind. I sure won't use a non TI card again myself. Still I've never captured into the VT via a DV connector, even though I've got a card in each system, so I can't say if it's an issue with VT3/4.

Ivan
11-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Yup, just checked, it's TI.

Next?

Ivan

kleima
11-02-2004, 10:06 PM
This must be system specific, because I don't have this issue. I am still on VT[3], but some were mentioning that this was an issue with VT[3].

Ivan
11-03-2004, 07:54 AM
I know that others have been able to use DV files in 3 as well and I believe that it is system specific. Just wondering what specifically it might be. This system should do DV as good or better than most of the other systems I have seen and it just never has.

Ivan

Paul Lara
11-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Ivan, DV makes use of DirectX, so you may want to re-install 9.0c to see if that helps.

Ivan
11-03-2004, 09:48 AM
I just checked and I had 9.0b. Upgrading right now and I'll let you know.

Thanks Paul.

Ivan

Ivan
11-04-2004, 10:41 PM
That seems to have solved the problem. So far I have captured about 4 hours of DV with no problems at all.

Thanks Paul.

Ivan

netv
12-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Check if DV audio is 32K 12bit this caused problems for me