PDA

View Full Version : array in layout

grootvriend
11-01-2004, 04:48 AM
Often I find myself in a possition that I want to duplicate an object or light in layout over a distance like array does in modeller. I haven't found anything that comes close to this so must move all the object mannualy and that cost way to much time. Does anyone know a how I can do it the right way?

Thanx in advance,

wiebe

Matt
11-01-2004, 06:13 AM
Do a search on www.flay.com there are tons of free lscripts and plugins that do what you need and more!

JamesCurtis
11-01-2004, 07:57 AM
I beleive you could also use a plugin called HD_Instance to do this, if it's multiple copies of the same EXACT object that you need. From what I understand, it uses points that you place in the spots you want your duplicated objects.

pdrake
11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
hd instance doesn't work with lights. i just tried.

Pavlov
11-06-2006, 04:14 PM
look for Family Clone, best cloning tool for Layout ever.
Clones, arays, clones on saved point data or normals from modeler, and even cloning choosing randomly from more selected objects, and much more.
A must have.

Paolo

Kbsfx
01-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Yeah I just searched and nothing...... It seems this is an overlooked feature that is available in almost every other package and CAD package.

Do a search on www.flay.com there are tons of free lscripts and plugins that do what you need and more!

ivanze
01-12-2012, 02:47 PM
This one is really nice:

http://earthwormjim.free.fr/lscript/layout/arrlay/index.html

ivanze
01-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Family Clone is here:

http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm

This is awesome. I didnīt know about it.

jeric_synergy
01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Seems "Family Clone" may have fallen by the wayside. :alien::alien:

ivanze
01-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Yes, it should have its own thread.

Thanks faulknermano!!

BTW, I just found out this was a very old thread. :)

jeric_synergy
01-12-2012, 04:33 PM
By "fallen by the wayside", I meant I couldn't find any downloadable site for it.

May exist, just haven't found 'em.

josewave
01-12-2012, 06:20 PM
But the page that I posted contains the link to the plugin and it is working.

Matt
01-12-2012, 08:27 PM
I've been working on one actually.

I deliberately wanted to keep the number of options down, as for what most people want to do, they don't need to be faced with a million options.

Hence why the randomisation options are for all channels (but that might change actually).

I have just a few more things to look at with it, but I'm hoping to include it in LW11, failing that, pass out the LScript.

(Just noticed, I need to swap over my 'Center' gadgets from number to distance).

jeric_synergy
01-12-2012, 10:50 PM
But the page that I posted contains the link to the plugin and it is working.
We may have crossposted. Or I was so caffeinated I blew right by it. :beerchug:

jeric_synergy
01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Family Clone is here:

http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm

This is awesome. I didnīt know about it.
You might want to add that to LWPLUGINDB.com. I went there and searched on "Family" (as the most unique word in the name) and didn't get a hit.

"CLONE" also comes up empty. (That is, "Family Clone" is not included in the hits with "CLONE".)

dee
01-17-2012, 04:54 AM

I deliberately wanted to keep the number of options down, as for what most people want to do, they don't need to be faced with a million options.

Hence why the randomisation options are for all channels (but that might change actually).

I have just a few more things to look at with it, but I'm hoping to include it in LW11, failing that, pass out the LScript.

(Just noticed, I need to swap over my 'Center' gadgets from number to distance).

Please include an option for Instances.

Lewis
01-17-2012, 05:21 AM

Hence why the randomization options are for all channels (but that might change actually).

Matt, that's gonna be very handy , thanks for doing it :).

Please check my old topic about arraying Lights problem in Layout with various plugins. Eventually i got plugin (lscript) which works (thanks to Ian_r) but you can check/see what was the problem with most arraying plugins in layout in that topic. I have some videos And scene there to show the issues/problems so please consider "arraying around selected object" also (usually null positioned at exact place but should work around any item).

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=111618&highlight=lights+array

cheers

creacon
01-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Matt,

do you get a decent speed if you clone a lot of objects (say 8000 or 10000)?

All the solutions I used before based on LScript were terribly slow.

creacon

AbstractTech3D
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM
This is where instancing shines (for objects, not for lights).
With creative use of DP Instance, and sometimes a bit of vector maths applied in the DP Instance node editor to control instance position, rotation, scale, etc… you can get all sorts of array type distributing of instances, and control that continues beyond the initial distribution. (Also you can control for customised instance surfacing too). Very powerful.
I'd imagine similar capabilities are in LW11 native instancing control (though I haven't personally tried it yet).

…I pretty much gave up most of my cloning attempts when DP Instance came along…
(prior to that I'd been using ArrLay.lsc for cloning successfully).