PDA

View Full Version : alpha mask color?

zecryan
10-31-2004, 07:10 PM
how can i set, lets say black, to be transparent in the render? i believe that is called the alpha mask color.

theo
10-31-2004, 07:48 PM
That is such a vague question.

If you are using an alpha channel you don't set the transparency per se, as an alpha channel is an alpha channel no two ways about it- you can set the visibility parameters and such. For example, if you have an embedded alpha channel in a PSD image that baby just is and will work just like it is supposed to.

I am not sure if you were the guy that posted a similar question elsewhere just recently but if you are this is not a complicated issue and I thought that thread resolved the question.

For one thing you need to be extremely specific about what you are trying to accomplish.

Are you decaling images, trying to build up procedurals by knocking out with alphas or are you trying to create clip maps?

And what file format is being used and why.

Be specific maybe the answers will be too.

Silkrooster
10-31-2004, 09:21 PM
Perhaps you could post a small render of what your trying to do and give a list of what your trying to accomplish. Also list your OS your using and ver. of LW.
There are many ways to create tansparent backgrounds, what we need to know is what are you rendering, objects or a 2d image.
What you may be able to do is render what you have, import it into a image editor and draw where you what the transparency to be and any other visual clues to help us help you.
Some of the ways I can think of off the top of my head are: clip maps, alpha masks, chroma keys, and transparancy channel in the surface editor. I am sure there are ways I can't think of at the moment as well.
Silk