PDA

View Full Version : Bone Influence

twister47
10-31-2004, 06:15 PM
Hey guys, setting up my first character rig using this tutorial from NewTek:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/rigging/index.html

My question is, how to do control the influence of deformation, with things that are close to each other, for example, legs.

Here if I kick the leg out... it starts pulling on the pants of the other leg.

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks

SplineGod
10-31-2004, 08:57 PM
You can use weight maps to help isolate points between one leg and the other.
I tend to prefer to not use weight maps unless as a last resort.
What I generally do is spread the legs a bit further apart so they dont have problems with bone cross influence. I also set bone falloff to ^128 or so.

twister47
11-01-2004, 09:37 AM
Well I must admit I'm a bit unfamilar with weight maps, esp in terms of bones. How exactly do you do that method? I put my influence up to ^128 and it still pulled, and I cant really spread the legs because the pants are suppose to be baggy, so they are very close together.

I'll play around with it myself, but any help would be great

thanks!

Nate

SplineGod
11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
The simplest thing to do would be to separate the legs in modeler and then after you add your bones, rotate them back into place. Use a few additional hold bones to help get other areas to behave. :)
Weight maps can complicate an otherwise simple task. Once you create weight maps every vertex must have a weight or weight map assigned to it. Every bone must then be assigned to a weight map. Believe me, separating the legs temporarily is easier. :)

twister47
11-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Wow, right on the verge of freak outage, I just decided to check out your site
and saw the thumbnail for the Character w/ Skelegons Rig and totally realized what you meant by seperating the legs... That totally went over my head.

Problem solved.

Thanks!!!

SplineGod
11-01-2004, 05:18 PM
Glad that worked out. :)
Im also not trying to discourage you from learning weight maps. Its better to learn how bones work, their strengths and weaknesses and then learn to use weight maps when necessary. :)