PDA

View Full Version : Creating Thermal Images in Lightwave

gazdg
04-08-2003, 05:47 AM
Hi

Does anybody know of a good way tocreate thermal images within Lightwave? Does a plugin exist or do I have to create textures myself to do this?

All help/ideas greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Gaz

Mylenium
04-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Well a while ago I tried it... (Didn't work to well, however). You can use gradients with light incidence, slope etc. to create sort of thermal image look. You are limited to one light per gradient, though and that is the bad part. No matter how you try to combine multiple gradients it just doesn't look right (at least from a very scientific point). As a better solution I rendered b/w images and re-mapped the colors using "Colorama" in After Effects.

Mylenium

gazdg
04-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi

Many thanks for the reply. I`ll give both methods a try. Is "After effects" a Plugin?

Cheers

Gaz

Mylenium
04-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Hell, if AE was a plugin it would be big as my grandma's a.s.s. Nope, it's a compositing program you have to buy it or find it somewhere else (if you get my meaning).

Mylenium

ninjaman
04-09-2003, 03:08 PM
You mean like how the air can behave when in a desert? Like pouring water down a glass window? If thats what you´re after, I remember reading about a technique where you created a simple plane and positioned it in front of the camera, then made it transparent and then animated a procedural texture in the bumpchannel. The refraction settings I don´t remember, you have to try different values.

Johan grönwall

gazdg
04-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Ahh! Many thanks for your suggestions!

I`ll give it a try.