PDA

View Full Version : Growing ring?

Rogelio
10-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Hi

I need to animate a growing ring, I can't use scale because this keeps the proportons of the ring.
I just want the hole in the ring to get bigger but the width of the ring to stay the same like a smoke ring or when you untie a knot where the hole gets bigger but the rope doesn't change its width, I hope I explain myself well.

Thanks

ingo
10-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Hmm, i'm not sure if i understand you correct, but how about stretching the ring ?

Lightwolf
10-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Well, you could try morphing it. Basically build to otherwise identical rings in modeler, and morph them. If you use the torus tool, the point count and order should be identical.

Cheers,
Mike

Rogelio
10-30-2004, 07:31 PM
I'll try morphers.

Maybe this image will explain it better.

The smallest ring is what I want the animation to start, and end with the ring thats on the left, notice the red line is the same length.

But if I use stretch or size that red line wont be the same lenght, the ring would result in something like the gray ring where the proportions of the small ring are kept which I dont want.

Thanks for your help

spud_q
10-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Morphing would be where I would start. Lathe your start size in the foreground layer, and to the larger size in a background layer, then use the background to morph tool.