PDA

View Full Version : translate plus, a dream tool if I could use it

illusory
10-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi

I'm trying to use the new translate plus tool in LW8, but I can't figure out how to select the blue circles (as the manual says). The ones that come up when you choose "segment" in either "axis" or "origin". Whenever I choose one of these options, the circles appear, all the numeric controls grey out, but however I click on a point, it just won't select. The blue circles seem kind of large compared to the ones on the tut video, don't know if that means anything, but I've tried clicking everywhere on and inside a circle, nothing happens.

I'm trying to scale a sort of parallelogram box along the (slanted) segment of one of its sides.

This is just the tool I've been hoping for, too bad I can't use it :(

Please help!
NJ

Dodgy
10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
You do know you have to click TWO circles? They're basically to give LW a vector along which to move things. You should then be able to drag your points along the line you have defined.

illusory
10-29-2004, 05:47 PM
yes, I do, I've tried again and again, nothing happens

thanks,
NJ

illusory
10-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Does anyone have an ideas why these circles do not select for me?
settings?
anything?
:confused:
I'm not a complete incompetant, though it may seem that way...
I do have the patch, and I've tried everything I can think of.

Please help if you have any ideas.

thanks,
NJ

illusory
10-31-2004, 12:36 PM
If anyone wants to try this simple object, as in the pic, that would be great. I'm trying to select two circles along a straight segment on the side of the box (blue). But it simply will not work. I tried making a different box, not slanted, and was able to select the circles. So why not this one? I've checked the geometry, I've tried in wireframe mode.

I would much appreciate any help,
NJ

Lewis
10-31-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi !

I tested that tool now :)

It works fine for me acctualy.

When you do that point normal axsis all options become grayed out when you get those blue circles (handles). That's beacuse LW wiats to for you to click WHICH point oyu want to be axsis. Click on point/circle wiht LMB and circles will dissapear. Now you just need to hold LMB and mov emouse in left/right direction and see whats happenig :). You also can use Quick previev windows and when you are done just hit RMB and LW will ajust object/polys to new position. Works for me. I never tryed this tool before and i get a grip in 4-5 minutes so it shouldn't be too hard for you either.

let me know is that helped anything.

cheers

illusory
10-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Lewis, thanks for trying it. I know LW is waiting for me to pick the circles, problem is, it just doesn't recognize that I'm picking the circles. I'm trying to pick two circles for a segment -- in either axis or origin, it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to want to pick a segment that's slanted off the regular axes, but that's the whole reason for the tool, so that can't be the problem, especially since you got it to work.

this is very frustrating....

thanks again for trying,
NJ

Lewis
10-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Lewis, thanks for trying it. I know LW is waiting for me to pick the circles, problem is, it just doesn't recognize that I'm picking the circles. I'm trying to pick two circles for a segment -- in either axis or origin, it doesn't work. It doesn't seem to want to pick a segment that's slanted off the regular axes, but that's the whole reason for the tool, so that can't be the problem, especially since you got it to work.

this is very frustrating....

thanks again for trying,
NJ

I just tested on slanted object and i was able to click on TWO points in SEGMENT mode. I first selected top 4 points- When you select them you get that blue LINE which is origin line. I tested to move slanted top polys (similar object like yours) and it worked fine. i also tryed to select bottom and top points what are whole segment away from each other (i had one more cut from midlle of BOX) and to my surprise it worked on both ends simultaneusly :) like you are using symmetry tool on ALL AXSIs and we all know LW have only Y axsis in normal usage ? Also i was needed to select/click only two points and bottom part was automated.

Can you draw me what you want to model/move acctualy ? I could save you video file how i do it in My LW but I'm 56K modem user so it's slow to upload. But if you really can't get it i'll save video how i fiddle wiht tool to show you is that what oyu are trying ;).

illusory
10-31-2004, 03:40 PM
I tried picking four points on the top as you said, but after I picked two, it selected that horizontal segment, but wouldn't pick any more. I'm finding I can pick some points sometimes, but not what I'm trying to do. Seem it should be simple.

This pic hopefully shows what I'm trying to do.

Thanks for your help!
NJ

Lewis
11-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Yes i only can pick two points.

illusory
11-02-2004, 03:33 PM
I meant to say... the OUTSIDE EDGES of the orange planes stay where they are. Obviously the edges in common with the blue box would move.

hunter
11-02-2004, 04:19 PM
could you post a pic of what you want the end result to be?

illusory
11-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Well I'm happy to say I've found at least one key to opening the treasure that this new tool Translate Plus is. Simply to ignore those blue selection circles when choosing points for a segment -- zoom way in and click directly on the point.

This tool is awesome, I've been waiting a long time for it, it's already one of the most-used in modeler!

thanks, NJ