PDA

View Full Version : Particles vs. hypervoxels

exit6
10-29-2004, 11:16 AM
I have a scene where sparks need to start at one color and change as they age. Back in olden times I used to use Particle Storm, which let you color a particle by it's age. Do I have to use hvox to do this now? The scene has like 20 emitters and would take forever to render if I did. I had to put a null object at each emitter and use distance from object, but it was a real pain. Is there a better way?

Sean Scott
10-29-2004, 01:51 PM
HyperVoxels will let you change color based on particle age. Choose the "T" button on color, make the "Layer Type" -Gradient-, "Input Parameter" -Particle Age-, and set the gradient to your liking.

Good luck!

exit6
10-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Right, the point is that hypervoxels are too slow because the scene has too many particles. The question is can you use particle age with partigons :)

hunter
10-29-2004, 05:27 PM
I don't think so. But you could use HV sprites for sparks and they render plenty fast.

exit6
10-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Nope, even sprites take a month.

SplineGod
10-29-2004, 10:23 PM
You cant use particle age with partigons but you can use distance to object and make the same emitter the reference object. You can also apply luminosity as a gradient too. Turn on particle blur, change the point size and apply glow. You can clone that emitter around too. You can get pretty good sparks that way. Put a lens flare at the origin of the particles and apply noisy channel to its intensity envelope to get it to randomly flicker.
Also HV sprites do render pretty fast if you keep the size small and use a gradient in the size channel to turn them off after a certain time or distance.

hunter
10-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Nope, even sprites take a month.
Really? Wow. How many Particles would ya' say ya' have. I've rendered tens of thousands as sprites and the render times weren't that bad. What resolution are ya' rendering for? I'd love to see a pic when you're done. Sounds cool. :)