PDA

View Full Version : where is everyone...?

Hervé
10-28-2004, 11:48 PM
where is everyone...? yes indeed, it ook pretty dead around here... or did a lot of LW jump ship to xsi...? share, I am curious to know... no offense NT, just kinda bizarre.... :D :rolleyes:

I know Riki still here, Colkai, Millenium, Splinegod, Matt, Adrian now..., and others....? :eek:

Silkrooster
10-29-2004, 12:26 AM
I thought I noticed a slow down as well. It seams like spinquad is moving a little more though.
Silk

janoverust
10-29-2004, 01:28 AM
I'm here... And I use XSI and I love it.
BUT, and this is a big BUTT.
I use Lightwave, and love that too...

But I'm just a nobody, so who cares? ;)

Hervé
10-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Okeyyy, that's what I thought...; thanks for sharing... :D

hazmat777
10-29-2004, 02:42 AM
They are all trying to figure how to get their new programs to do what they already know how to do in Lightwave.

hazmat777
10-29-2004, 02:58 AM
That's why they are so busy...

Hervé
10-29-2004, 03:02 AM
..... you're 100 right..... great loss..... :p

TheDevil
10-29-2004, 03:17 AM
A lot of LWs are playing with a certain 3D package that dropped it's price recently. hehehe. I'm sure the lost sheep will return when the major LW updates (not half assed former development team style this time :cool: ) are released!!!

I think SpinQuad has diverted a lot from here and the LW CGTalk forum seems to be a bit more buzzing with less negativity from some trolls with no life.

Ssssh. quiet. I heard a rumour. I heard from a blue goblin that new rendering technology has been aquired from a super advanced alien race who are into 3D art. You heard it here first if it proves true. Like all rumours, take it like a pinch of salt until you hear an official announcent from Newtek. :D

Dodgy
10-29-2004, 03:20 AM
I'm still here, though I'm touched to know you miss me oh so much :)

Exper
10-29-2004, 03:22 AM
I'm here... for what is worth! :p

Exper
10-29-2004, 03:24 AM
Gzzzzzzzz... lethargy. :D

TheDevil
10-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Gzzzzzzzz... lethargy. :D

lethargy - lassitude, listlessness, sluggishness, torpor, dullness, slowness, apathy, inaction, indifference, sleepiness, drowsiness, stupor

at least until 8.x comes out :D

Hervé
10-29-2004, 03:39 AM
I cant wait that superadvanced renderer.... aaahhhh renderers... usually slow like LW forum today

I am glad you folks are here... :) it was smelling like in a morgue... kinda...

Para
10-29-2004, 03:49 AM
I actually forgot the URL :(
Never have been a big poster here...

Kvaalen
10-29-2004, 04:12 AM
Chuis là moi!

Matt
10-29-2004, 10:20 AM
I ain't going nowhere!!! LightWave forever dude!!! :D

Dodgy
10-29-2004, 05:17 PM
I second that! And thid it! And... you get the idea...

KillMe
10-29-2004, 05:40 PM
i'll confess to playing with a previoulsy mentioned 3d package too but lightwave is still my app of choice

though xsi does have some cool features - but i think it will compliment lightwave rather nicely in the areas its weak rather and replace it

cresshead
10-29-2004, 06:29 PM
i'm still here!

...sorry!

been using max, silo, xsi and lightwave....though lw is "THE COOL TOOL"

steve g

CB_3D
10-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Still around.

Out of employment (own choosing). I´ve been busy the last two months transforming my place into a nice little studio for future freelance waving
:D
´
It´s all clean, bright with a wooden parquet. I love it, but now i´m running out of money,LOL. I am confident LW and my marketing skills will pull me through,though. :p

Next week i´ll be busy making my interactive portfolio with the stuff i did over the last couple of years. I´ll use Scala´s (remember that one?) current incarnation for that. Mainly it will be 3 architectural walkthroughs (each ca 8 minutes) and a stills gallery of old and new stuff, mainly architectural,too.

So, no time for forums, basically ;)

CB_3D
10-29-2004, 08:31 PM
And i love smileys :rolleyes:

Terrificfool
10-29-2004, 08:45 PM
My friends and I just finished a chemistry movie for our high school class and I got to do some Lightwavin on it. Basically sapped me fully(long nights, lots of rotoscoping in DFX+) but I managed to get two characters talking on a spaceship instead of in a room. Lightwave is just a great modeller and setup tool, it took me only about 5 min to set up all the cameras and scenes for the 16 or so shots of the scene. Very good tool, and I'll probably never switch!

Titus
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm here. Just returned from visited a client who wanted me to throw my VT for an Avid.

riki
10-29-2004, 09:38 PM
I thought it was a bit quiet here, wasn't sure if it was just me. I did notice a few familiar name in the modo forum.

Lets hope it's the lull before the storm. I'm hoping Worely and Newtek will release a maintenace update before christmas, we need something to generate some interest.

Hervé
10-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Ah ! My Brave fidel LightWaver's, sniff ! sniff, I feel better now..... Ok, because some of you confess they played a bit in the evil area (xsi, modo....) you are forgiven for that....

Tha baker asked me this morning (after a couple years of being a client) what job I am doing...? I told him with the simplest words I could find... he replied... aah ok, but you doing business cads also....? err....

Question of the day ( I am very often facing that situation)

-How do you explain to an avarage Sir, (imagine your gran'pa) what job you are doing....? :D :D

Bonus question : How do you guys find Free lance job...? I have had no success, no one answer... I would have loved at least one answer, just saying, man what a crap ! no, nothing... I 've send more than 200 e-mails... (advertising, architects) should I call them ??? if so, then I should forget about it, coz phone cost a fortune here in Luxemburg...

CB_3D, did you left your job....? why...?

Silkrooster
10-30-2004, 12:21 AM
Herve
Most people including the elderly have heard of animations atleast cartoons anyway. They also have heard of special effects used in movies. Pehaps you could word what you do compared to those anologies.(excuse my spelling)
That book you had me get for the candle flame has some addresses in it. I don't know whether they are any good any more or not, that may be worth a try. Placing a demoreel on a web site seams to be the thing now adays. I keep seeing others doing that on this forum. Send a dvd to your local stations, perhaps they can use you or refer you to someone else. Nickelodeon and Disney seam to support private talent.
Anyways what ever you do good luck we all have our fingers crossed for ya. :D I just hope one day my knowledge of LW will be as rewarding as others on this forum.
Silk

Hervé
10-30-2004, 02:20 AM
He he, where there's hope, there's life... so let's hope...

BTW, if I relate movies and stuff, then they ask which one it was.... and I say none... then they are evenmore confused... I just say now graphic artist, or whatever comes to mind ... ;)

CB_3D
10-30-2004, 02:25 AM
CB_3D, did you left your job....? why...?

No contract, extra hours and weekends paid like normal hours, unrealistic sheduling over my head, bad client management. So i prefer to do it on my own. ;)

Hervé
10-30-2004, 02:31 AM
phewww.... in this case I'll run away too.... so are you going on your own also now.... one man show....?

jin choung
10-30-2004, 02:41 AM
personally,

i just don't think there's much to talk about anymore. when 8 was in active development, many of us posted to try to influence direction and features.

8's development was a big question. with the release, we got a RESOUNDING answer.

a GREAT MANY requested features that had genuine merit did not make it in for reasons of budget, time, etc.

but the requests have been made and the ideas presented.

to continue to harp on with feature requests when there is a ludicrously large backlog of unimplemented good ideas seems masochistic.

if they're worthy of our future business, they will not ignore what has been written.

i guess we're just waiting to see how the seemingly stop gap 8 ends up and/or waiting for what happens with 9 and see how serious they're gonna be on getting caught up with the community.

jin

- i wonder if we should be alarmed that it doesn't even occur to us to wonder if our missing brethren are out with friends or perhaps even getting laid - such that the only reasonable alternative is that they're playing with xsi! haha... well, being a card carrying nerd myself, i shall pray for them. :)

Hervé
10-30-2004, 03:46 AM
In other words, Jin , what you're saying is that there is a slow down here, well I knew that XSI deal could be a bad affair to LW.... and apparently it is.... well, I decided to stick with LW... am I wrong or right... I've been asking this question to myself a couple of time...

On the other hand, Jin, you're kinda right, people just dont have time to waste these days anymore... and all the promises are just well.... promises, I am still waiting for F_Prime news, but it appears that just asking on the Worley chat is too much to ask... I mean knowing how Jesus slow is Worley (still waiting for Sas2) an update could be in Years form now on ......

Watch out NT (not treat here), young shark folks move fast... err..people move fast.... jeeez... :rolleyes:

Aegis
10-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Well, I haven't posted much recently (although I do still visit) 'cause I've been up to my neck on Captain Scarlet - doing three different jobs at the moment - also, I think Jin has got a point - there seems to be a lot of disappointed LightWave users around since [8] and many that I know are busy exploring alternate 3D packages for their future projects - as for me, when I (rarely) get the time I'm playing with modo and XSI :)

Hervé
10-30-2004, 10:12 AM
I tried importing a LW model into XSI, but it was just imossible to render something clean... very bizzare... but I guess it is not a one buton psuhed like LW....he he

how about mental ray... seams easier... no???

Aegis
10-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Beats me :D - Whilst XSI looks pretty darn cool, I just haven't had the time to explore it - got two tutorial manuals and the "Experience XSI" book sat on my shelf gathering dust at the moment - looking forward to two weeks off at Christmas so I can sit down and spend some quality time with it - I have been playing with modo whenever I get the chance and it's very nice - certainly lives up to the hype as far as I'm concerned - it's got a few fairly major bugs (specifically with importing and exporting from/to LightWave) but there are workarounds - looking forward to the next release...

janoverust
11-01-2004, 02:30 AM
My first experience with 3D was C4D 8. I used a demo for 2 month and I liked it, because I could make a ball and a cube, and render it with raytracing. Just a few click, and that was it...
A friend of mine told me that there was a program named Lightwave. He did not know how to use it, but said it was GOOD.
I had a CD from Macworld with a demo of LW 7.0
I fired up LAYOUT and tried to make a ball and a cube.... After 15 minutes I gave up, and didn't touch the thing for at least a month. Then I discovered MODELER!!
I pressed the Box button and nothing happend. "AAAAAAAH!!!! Lightwave is #"¤%#%#"¤#!!!!".

After many months of "boiling" my brain, jumping from C4D, Maya, LW and XSI, LW is the program that "thinks" like I do, and I love it.
But starting to get the feel of XSI (and Maya), makes me "love" them too.

I've played guitar for 25 years and have played and loved MANY guitars. That has made me a better guitarplayer. Every guitar has pros and cons. You can play trash on a Jazzbox, but its not going to sound god.
But... if that's what youre after, then go for it! :D

Hervé
11-01-2004, 02:53 AM
I reallly, really , really think.... that NT better make a move mega fast as they are loosing Volunteers every day, and I am not sure they 'll come back , even though LW9 could be a killer tool... but too late...

for meditation...: ( dont recall exactly, but here it is...)

"how can you bring back the peasants to the farm after they've seen Paris..." :D

@++

riki
11-01-2004, 02:58 AM
Hey I've been to Paris. I did a tour of a concrete factory :p

Hervé
11-01-2004, 03:16 AM
U were not concerned by this sentence Riki... :rolleyes:

riki
11-01-2004, 03:38 AM
eh??

A think of beauty is a joy forever :)

janoverust
11-01-2004, 04:33 AM
I have never been to Paris, but I agee.

But the point is that there are things you can do at the farm that you cant in Paris.
And you can climb the watertower at the farm to get a good view. What do Paris have??? ;)

TheDevil
11-01-2004, 04:48 AM
Paris has two nice buildings (flame bait, hehehehe). Very expensive in general to suck you dry. London is dirty and New York has tall buildings. Prague, Vienna and Tokyo are much nicer cities to visit. A farm gives you what you need to survive, nice views, fresh air (when not near the barns) and more . Anyone here milked a cow? Tasty fresh milk beats the supermarket cra*p in big cities. LW has a nice cow which is far better than any other apps cows.

:p

janoverust
11-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Ditto! Lightwave has the best Cows in the business... :D
And milk can be mixed with and Espresso. Like in Café au lè, Lattè, Cortado etc

riki
11-01-2004, 07:36 AM
speaking of cows I just did an update for my CG challenge re: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=178851&page=2&pp=10

mattclary
11-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Been busier than normal at work plus have a 4 month old baby now.

I think most of the people we've lost were the ones who were always bitching about Newtek and crowing about how awesome M*d* was going to be, so good riddance. :cool:

HarverdGrad
11-01-2004, 10:08 AM
I still enjoy reading these forums, but I find myself spending more and more of my time with ZBrush2.

Realflow craps out in LW8 when using Particles- so when I do use LW, it's 7.5.
8.0 still gives me the screen redraw problem. Aggravating.
Doing work in 7.5 and 8.0 blows because the Menu layout is different for both.

Sometimes in 7.5 I'm going grrrrrrrrrrrrr- how do I add a Null(?) because I'm used to just seeing it in 8.0.

Of course as 8.0 improves- the above problems will go away because there won't be a need for me to hop to 7.5.

Regards!

jevinstudios
11-01-2004, 10:36 AM
I think most of the people we've lost were the ones who were always bitching about Newtek and crowing about how awesome M*d* was going to be, so good riddance.

Agreed -- and not regrettable (also, congrats on the new little rugrat -- all the best to you!)....

I personally have dumped Maya in favor of LW, moving back to the software I've loved and relied on for years -- mainly because of render limitations in Maya, as well as the fact that Maya became a financial drain on my studio, with little to gain for the huge investment (had many unresolved tech support issues related to program bugs, yet still had to pay the huge $1,300 maintenance fee per license -- for me, $2,600 per year -- for substandard service and poor follow-up!). Now, even formerly free tutorials are tied into a maintenance contract, further restricting public access to the most basic of learning tools. Also, have spent over $500 in books and DVD's just this past year alone, and frankly, have gotten tired of this cash cow with sour milk.

Now, with XSI, I find it quite funny that some people may actually think that XSI Foundation is an "upgrade" from LW. This $500 app has the functionality of Inspire, with severe render and workflow limitations. Resellers I've talked to tell me that no true professional can rely on XSI Foundation to meet their needs, and that it's only a hook to get users to invest in the higher priced XSI versions (XSI Essentials, at nearly $2K is the closest you can come to match all of LW's functionality, and need XSI advanced at nearly $7K for fully unlimited render capabilities. Don't forget that Maintenance Contracts are required here as well....). LW still beats out both Maya and XSI for full out-of-the-box features and functionality price-wise. I think those that jump ship to ride the Titanic-scaled-down-to-tugboat-versions will realize that they had a pretty good thing going at a great price already..... I know I did the "switch thing" and found myself frustrated, broke, and switching back 3 years later!

Now as far as "M**o", already got a kick-***** modeler in my toolset. Not worth the $900 to add on a new one.

I am glad to see the forums becoming more constructive and LW-function-based, instead of a bitching outlet. Was getting pretty bummed out visiting here for a while. At least, for the time being, that seems to be changing.....

blabberlicious
11-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Been busier than normal at work plus have a 4 month old baby now

Hey, Congrats!

Me got baby too! A little boy called Ted, 3 months ago.

The amount of time Ted spends on my lap while I'm working - I think he be modelling before he can walk!

:-)

mattclary
11-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys! Isn't she cute? :cool:

Presley Reagan Clary:

jevinstudios
11-01-2004, 12:35 PM
She's adorable! You should be very proud! :D

MikeMD
11-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Now, with XSI, I find it quite funny that some people may actually think that XSI Foundation is an "upgrade" from LW. This $500 app has the functionality of Inspire, with severe render and workflow limitations. Resellers I've talked to tell me that no true professional can rely on XSI Foundation to meet their needs, and that it's only a hook to get users to invest in the higher priced XSI versions

I agree that Lightwave is overall as good as anything, but that statement is just not true. I don't think anybody will be right in saying that XSI Foundation is an upgrade over Lightwave, but it is better in some areas, while Lightwave is a more complete package since Foundation is missing things like fur.

But, XSI foundation is in no way limited when it comes to animation and rendering quality. Of course they are hoping people will buy at least the $2000 version and get fur and stuff like that, but for 90% of people Fundation is way more than they need and can render images or animations of the same quality as Lightwave or the most expensive version of XSI. This is in no way comparable to Inspire, because there are no rendering limitations, no animation or workflow limitations. All you're missing are extras and advanced rigs most of which ( or its equivalent )you won't find in Maya or Lightwave either.

Doran
11-01-2004, 01:43 PM
I am glad to see the forums becoming more constructive and LW-function-based, instead of a bitching outlet. Was getting pretty bummed out visiting here for a while. At least, for the time being, that seems to be changing.....

I heard that.
I've been for fewer off product rants for a while.

Lightwave is my tool of choice.. I've already made my decision and no amount of campaigning by proponents of the other side is going to change my vote!

oh, sorry.. It's an election year. :O)

jevinstudios
11-01-2004, 03:42 PM
MikeMD -- Got my info from a major reseller supplying to Hollywood's top studios, as well as a developer working with mental images to integrate mental ray into XSI. There are limitations with XSI Foundation, and my reference with the Inspire comparison was to relate it to higher-priced versions of XSI in features and overall workflow, in the same fashion that Inspire was a reduced-version of LightWave 5.5.

But, not trying to start a flame war or anything. Comparing XSI Foundation to a fully rounded application like LW (as some people are) is purely ridiculous. My studio could never produce completed work with Foundation, and that's all that matters to me. The same goes for C4D without all the extra modules, or the Houdini base pack without the extras. LW, however, has everything I need to meet any project demand from start to finish, and is the best bang for the buck on the market.

I just hope to continue to see this forum revert back to what it was originally intended to be -- an in-depth discussion area for all things NewTek, and an exceptional resource and posting area for those interested in hashing out all of the cool features of LightWave. Anything else, IMHO, is irrelevant.

Librarian
11-01-2004, 05:11 PM
I agree that Lightwave is overall as good as anything, but that statement is just not true. I don't think anybody will be right in saying that XSI Foundation is an upgrade over Lightwave, but it is better in some areas, while Lightwave is a more complete package since Foundation is missing things like fur.

But, XSI foundation is in no way limited when it comes to animation and rendering quality. Of course they are hoping people will buy at least the $2000 version and get fur and stuff like that, but for 90% of people Fundation is way more than they need and can render images or animations of the same quality as Lightwave or the most expensive version of XSI. This is in no way comparable to Inspire, because there are no rendering limitations, no animation or workflow limitations. All you're missing are extras and advanced rigs most of which ( or its equivalent )you won't find in Maya or Lightwave either.
You´re right.
Of course LW is cool and all, but I can´t understand why some people think LW is so much more complete. It´s just not true.
Saslite e.g. is a cripppled version of a hair simulation and it lacks a lot. It´s by no means comparable to hair in XSI Advanced or a serious pendant.
SasFull is a fantastic plugin, but you´ve to pay 499$ extra. For that price you can get a complete package.
BTW, let´s get rid of unnecessary saslite polygon limit. It´s light enough without that limitation or call it Sasultralight.

And even if XSI Fnd is not complete, it´s more complex than LW. At a price of a better LW Plugin! Better bang for the buck. Use it as an addition to your main package. LW and Fnd is a good combination.
Let´s be fair. You´ll get what you´ve paid for and maybe more. What do ppl expect for 500$, a plugin price ? It´s dumping compared to others.
Usability is another point. Some tools in LW are just not comparable to Fnd pendants. Compare Animation Mixer to LW Motion Mixer.
Some tools are way more powerful in a 500$ package than a 1600$ one.
@Jevin That´s what I would call ridiculous.

By the way , you can build all Advanced Rigs of higher version from scratch. The tools are all there. And it´s bull**** that you can´t use Fnd seriously for professional work. I know people who use it for print stuff. Just Fnd, no plugins.

No LW or member offense included.

jevinstudios
11-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Sounds like a lot of XSI FND users are looking to do a lot of convincing to justify their purchase. Happy trails!

This place is for all things LW, and that's where my interest is, no matter how much someone tries to promote competing software here. Promoting XSI is best left to the Softimage forums, or multi-app venues such as CGTalk, CG Channel, etc -- I guarantee you will get a much warmer reception and more people who will agree with you without resistence.

I personally come here to discuss LW in a climate that is supportive and thought-provoking in relation to this software's issues. Pushing competing software will garner resistance, as well as frustration from many LW users who come here for the same reason.

JMHO, that's all. My advice: take that $500 and purchase a license of Sasquatch from Worley Labs, which will take your version of LW to the next level with top-notch and fully animatable hair, fur and grass with no poly limits! Gotta love this stuff!

MikeMD
11-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Why does it have to be one or the other.

In my situation Lightwave is the one I pick up to quickly model and render organic stuff and scenery.

For animation XSI seems much easier and faster, so if an animated character is need it's done in XSI.

And any combination in between these two is possible. Some people are already good at everything with Lightwave they don't need anything else. Some may want to stick only with XSI. Since I'm not an expert with either one, I use whichever one can do a particular job faster for me. I'm still learning both

I'm sure others prefer XSI over Lightwave for other things, and Lightwave over XSI for yet something else.

Sometimes it's neither. Green screen and DFX+ can often do character animation faster and not to mention more realistically than either one.

I would not and will not give up Lightwave, and I'm not promoting XSI, just correcting what the dealer told you. XSI Foundation is not limited in any way like Inspire was, and even if Inspire weren't limited, XSI would still be much better since Inspire is a 4-5 year old version of Lighwave ( if I remember correctly, there haven't been any new versions of Inspire in that long? ).
Both applications ( LW and XSI ) are perfectly capable of being used by themselves in a professional environment. The 5 -10% on top of the 3D food chain will not be happy with either one on its own. That is why all major studios use more than one app + their own apps/plugins.

Librarian
11-01-2004, 09:20 PM
This place is for all things LW, and that's where my interest is, no matter how much someone tries to promote competing software here. Promoting XSI is best left to the Softimage forums, or multi-app venues such as CGTalk, CG Channel, etc -- I guarantee you will get a much warmer reception and more people who will agree with you without resistence.

I personally come here to discuss LW in a climate that is supportive and thought-provoking in relation to this software's issues. Pushing competing software will garner resistance, as well as frustration from many LW users who come here for the same reason.

JMHO, that's all. My advice: take that $500 and purchase a license of Sasquatch from Worley Labs, which will take your version of LW to the next level with top-notch and fully animatable hair, fur and grass with no poly limits! Gotta love this stuff!

Sorry Jevin, it´s not my intention to bash anyone or anything, nor to promote anything. You should always listen to both sides. It´s not fair to bash one side without listening to the other party. That´s dull and shortsighted. If you tell us about your positive experiences with LW, that´s fine and highly appreciated, but please don´t put other software down without giving the chance to defend.
What do you excpect other than a flame war?

Sounds like a lot of XSI FND users are looking to do a lot of convincing to justify their purchase. Happy trails!
I have a complete different intention.
LW users are hardcore defending LW, but they´re running out of convincing arguments, more than anytime before.
What about former hardcore users like Policarpo, Pisong,Christophe Desse and others? Why did they open up their horizons?
Some of them using LW less and less , some of them even dropping LW completely. Just hype, just a monomania?
No, I think they do what´s best for them, their jobs and projects.

It´s up to Newtek to prove that LW is more than just a whisper of a golden past. I´m sure we´ll see some cool things, but at the moment, the situation has changed and new boys are in town. And they´re strong.
Putting them down and hardcore defending LW doesn´t help LW in any way, nor does putting LW down help .
Beeing realistic, that really helps.
Better to learn from others, accepting that they´re indeed serious competitors.
Hard times for developers, good times for users.

Silkrooster
11-02-2004, 01:35 AM
Herve,
I found this over on spinquad's site Jobs (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3716)
Mattcleary,
Congrats, she is cute. I am hoping one day, I will be as lucky. :D
Silk

Johnnyx
11-02-2004, 01:38 AM
I still enjoy reading these forums, but I find myself spending more and more of my time with ZBrush2.

Realflow craps out in LW8 when using Particles- so when I do use LW, it's 7.5.
8.0 still gives me the screen redraw problem. Aggravating.
Doing work in 7.5 and 8.0 blows because the Menu layout is different for both.

Sometimes in 7.5 I'm going grrrrrrrrrrrrr- how do I add a Null(?) because I'm used to just seeing it in 8.0.

Of course as 8.0 improves- the above problems will go away because there won't be a need for me to hop to 7.5.

Regards!

HarverdGrad, the redraw probs can be fixed with (if you are using an nVidia based card) the latest Beta drivers link:http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_66.81.html

Thread here as well.. http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=143613 (go right to the end!)

Good luck with it.

Me? - I'm sticking with LW, apart from anything else, I have invested too much time in it to move on now!

Hervé
11-02-2004, 02:54 AM
Ha ha ha, good joke Silkrooster.... sure Pixar... how much..? yeah sure... no really, have U seen the little work I am doing... it's no big deal compare to the Rembrandt's of 3D... he he

Matt, now that is A CUTE little Girl ! and the picture is very cute also.. (Daddy knows how to make nice pictures.. he he) last , a wireframe of the pumpkins.... :D ;) ;)
(You & your wife really are lucky to be parents of a future miss America !) ;) :)

Now on for LW... I am sure when NT sees people like us here, saying how much we still trust them, and why we stick with LW; it goes right to their Hearts...!!

I am happy I started this thread...

Oh, btw, I agree, Paris is soooo expensive... it's terrible... (Luxembourg's very expensive too...)

TheDevil
11-02-2004, 04:50 AM
These forums are indeed more friendly these days, like before the debacle. I'm sure new updates of LW will bring more lovely LW users into the fold, leaving the CIMs (remember him) of the world to days long past. The Joy :)

mattclary
11-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Matt, now that is A CUTE little Girl ! and the picture is very cute also.. (Daddy knows how to make nice pictures.. he he) last , a wireframe of the pumpkins.... :D ;) ;)
(You & your wife really are lucky to be parents of a future miss America !)

Thanks, Herve! Have to give the photo credit to Mom though. :)

Hervé
11-02-2004, 05:11 AM
woaw... my Mom could never make a photo like this... tell your Mom she's very creative... like her son... ;)

mattclary
11-02-2004, 06:17 AM
woaw... my Mom could never make a photo like this... tell your Mom she's very creative... like her son... ;)

Ummm... Presley's mom, not mine. ;)

HarverdGrad
11-02-2004, 06:20 AM
HarverdGrad, the redraw probs can be fixed with (if you are using an nVidia based card) the latest Beta drivers link:http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_winxp_2k_66.81.html

Thread here as well.. http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=143613 (go right to the end!)

Me? - I'm sticking with LW, apart from anything else, I have invested too much time in it to move on now!

Thank you Johnnyx for the Beta Link! I'll try when I get home from work.

I'm sticking with Lightwave also. I don't do this for a living, it's a hobby- so the time I get to spend in the 3d world is very limited - maybe 1hr a day. I'm slowly feeling comfortable with Lightwave and find myself going from mouse clicks to keyboard shortcuts when modeling (so I am progressing :D )

What I dig about ZBrush is instant gratification. Building organic shapes is so much easier. I know for animating- I'll have the topology of the mesh to contend with- but for still frame pics- it can't be beat.

Regards!

#lwrs_web
11-03-2004, 02:50 PM
no wonder... threads magically disappearing all the time.
This Forum isn't what is used to be.

Kurtis
11-03-2004, 04:18 PM
#lwrs_web,

Threads don't "magically disappear".

Threads that go against the posted forum moderation notices (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=9444) are removed and efforts are made to contact the user that started the thread to explain why.

#lwrs_web
11-03-2004, 04:24 PM
yea I'm not stupid....

I just didn't want to use the word "censored"

Kurtis
11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
#lwrs_web,

I never called you "stupid", and that is not what was meant.

My reply was intended for all that may not understand why threads are sometimes removed from the NewTek Discussion Forums. It was only addressed to you, because you brought it up.

We do not believe that keeping a privately-maintained discussion forum on-topic to what it was designed for, even if it is made available to the public, is censorship. NewTek goes much farther than any other company-sponsored forums in letting our customers speak their mind, but we do reserve the right to do what we feel is necessary to keep the forums an on-topic, peaceful, and productive atmosphere for the discussion of using our products.

If you have any questions about our policies, you are always welcome to email or private message any of the forum moderators.

#lwrs_web
11-03-2004, 05:18 PM
#lwrs_web,

If you have any questions about our policies, you are always welcome to email or private message any of the forum moderators.

No, I understand your policies and have to accept it.

But it would be interesting to know why your policies (or better: their enforcement) have been changed
recently....

lede
11-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Hervé,

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier. Been a bit occupied with a WIP project so been spending a bit of time working on it.

I was also thinking the same thing lately, it has gotten a bit quieter over here but at least the forums arn't so negitive any more. I think that was the main reason I stopped looking at the community thread.

Lightwave is still my main app of choice and I look forward to what NT will do with it in the comming years :D

-Lee

archiea
11-03-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm here, but not quite "here", I mean yeah I'm "hee" but yeat I'm not all here, I mean, you know.. being somewhere but not exactly being there just kinda there, I mean, you ARE there if you can be there to say you are there, but at the same time you may not actually be there.. its more just your knowledge of being there is there, but perhaps not physically there, while the whole time you are there its more of a technicallity that you are actually there, sometimes just the awareness of being there is enough, othertimes people actually need to see your there. So really one has to understand the question, as to whether its a broad question, like are you physically here or here enough just to be aware that you are here, or are you actually here, I mean, like, HERE here, like i'm here now typing, but chances are when you read this I won't be here, like right here, but I was here, just not right now.. or at least when you are reading this. So here is really dependent of what kind of here we mean, like here, now or just here, like OK, now I'm here, but in like 2 mins, or like 3 or maybe 5, I won't be here. I mean soon, I won;t be here.. I'm just not sure of when, but now at least.. right now.. I'm here. OK? I mean.. I'm here, now.. just .. like now, OK.. but like in a little bit I won;t be here, but like when you read this it will seem like I'm here to you but I probably won't actually BE here, like, right at that moment, like..... Kinda like I was here, but not RIGHT this second, like if someone was taking attendance, I wouldn;d be here to respond, but like the guy next to me.. like..OK, not really next to me, but, like, one of you guys, would be like "yeah he was here a minute ago", so like the guy would be like OK he;s hereor like, if he was a hardass hes be like well he's not here like now, so I'm not really sure how tuff you guys are like am I here like now, like yeah I am, but when like one of you dudes are like Ok you may have been here, but like right now you aren;t here, like, they may cop an attitude and be, like all argumentative like and say, like, dude, you weren't here, like I didn;t see you. so like you see its kinda tough to say if i'm here with any certainty.. its like I'm here now, but like, I can't, like , gaurantee it...

Hervé
11-03-2004, 11:34 PM
Do U remeber the Woodstock Rock Festival best call to the audience....

"toc toc...(finger tap on microphone)... shkjlbpoitghcfsquuiiiitttt (microphone noise) Test Test ! ...Err... can we have your attention please..... don't take the brown acid.... I repeat... don't take the brown acid... Thank you !"
:D :D

BTW, just Jesus had "Ubiquity"... no, not even Madonna red wool Kabalette... :D

xtrm3d
11-04-2004, 10:06 AM
still around ,

using xsi at work for modelling ,

but dit not loose my love for lightwave ..

cause of job and move to the usa , not a lot of time left for private project ,
but still have some small stuff in the making ,

i wait to see what happen in the next upgrade in relation with the renderer :-) !!!

then first .. i would think about saying byby .. if i feel unhappy

Hervé
11-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Xtrem, how are U, aahhhh see, ok you are honest... good point ! Is it difficult to model in XSI, I bet not for you ;) ... but I thought you would do the opposite, that is model in our trusty Modeler, and render & animate in XSI.... ?

xtrm3d
11-04-2004, 10:33 AM
non..non...
without making any savage advertising .. i just found that the lw modeller lack a features to be able to compet with the xsi modelling tool ,
now on the side of the rendering ..

lw may not have a so good and acurate render engine as xsi ..

but it's easy to configure .. and i have a really deep knowledge of the material editor ..

as stated before i would love to stay with lightwave .. and hope that the futur is so bright as newtek people are telling us ,,

if i am wher i am today , this is partilay due to newtek and lightwave ( my first interview at newtek )
this is why , without being a lightwacve integrist like a lot of people around these forum
i want to wait and see ..
just waiting for the next upgrade

and hope that the futur is coming soon

Hervé
11-04-2004, 12:31 PM
... Also spracht X_trem, he he, well said X-trem... can you show us a thing you modeled in XSI and Render In LW, I m really curious about it.. ;)
a++

xtrm3d
11-04-2004, 01:01 PM
hehehh .. like the " also sprache x-trm " .. make me sound like i am an importante person ..lol

well.. as said not a lot of time left right now for private stuff .. but would let you know as soon i get something new :-)

alles liebe aus der land wo gestern die leute der falsh entscheidung getrofen haben :mad:

Hervé
11-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Apparently, this guy did this in LW... share your POV...

http://www.cgchannel.com/gallery/viewimage.jsp?imgID=6337

:D :D

lede
11-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Nice work! The only thing that screams CG there is the hair particles :( but other than that was an amazing image.

-Lee

#lwrs_web
11-04-2004, 03:06 PM
I bet if you did a search replace "XSI" with "MODO" in this thread
it wouldn't be here anymore ;)

T-Light
11-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Hello Herve.

Still alive and kicking.

Everything was going well until LW8 popped through the letter box. That was the last decent thing that happened this year.

Got a new programming contract that should have needed about six months to complete but with a time limit of only a couple of months to get the whole thing up and running. That should have been OK, then along came some family problems... Anyway, the world went to H*ll in a handbasket :(

On the brighter side, things finally look to be coming to a close. :)

So there you go, no X*I or M*D*, just plain bad luck.

Still LW'n.

Brent

Hervé
11-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Sorry to hear you had recent problem... ;) well lots of people have problems recently....

I am now the bad guy here... for the first time yesterday, I 've had problems because of LW... really thinking now.... :mad:

colkai
11-09-2004, 03:01 AM
I'm here, but not quite "here", I mean yeah I'm "hee" but yeat I'm not all here,

Dude, that was just too frikkin' funny! :D :D :D