PDA

View Full Version : Particles Question

art_DA
10-28-2004, 02:57 PM
I am creating simple rain falling.
My sequence is 150 frames, yet when I create my particles, they fall from 0-30 and by the time frame 75 rolls around, they're gone from the screen.
How can I get the emitter to repeat the process of making more particles so they fall for the full 150 frames?
I have the lifetime set at 150 BTW.
I have 1000 particles being made by the emitter.
Thanks!

Art

3dworks
10-28-2004, 03:19 PM
I am creating simple rain falling.
My sequence is 150 frames, yet when I create my particles, they fall from 0-30 and by the time frame 75 rolls around, they're gone from the screen.
How can I get the emitter to repeat the process of making more particles so they fall for the full 150 frames?
I have the lifetime set at 150 BTW.
I have 1000 particles being made by the emitter.
Thanks!

Art

try to set the particles limit from the default rate of 1000 to a higher one. if 100000 (the max setting) should not be enaugh, you can add a new emitter from the frame where this maximum is reached. simply check the 'fixed' checkbox and enter the frame number from where you want this emitter to start emitting particles.

hope this makes sense and helps :-)
markus

art_DA
10-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Hey thanks Markus. The default is 100 particles. I have actually set the number to 10,000 and all it did was increase the particles falling from 1 to 30 to 10,000 and didn't lengthen the actual time the particles are falling.
I had actually thought about just adding another emitter and I guess that'll be my next move.
Thanks again.
Art

Axis3d
10-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Under the Particle Tab, the LifeTime setting defaults to 60 frames. This means that your particle will disappear after 60 frames (which may happen while they are still in frame). If you enter a "0" in this field instead, the particles will travel for the length of your animation. If any number is entered in this field, that will be how many frames that each particle is alive.

You may find out that you run out of particles, in which case, you could set the Particle Limit higher. Or, if your particles are going out of frame at, say, around frame 90 or so, you could set a LifeTime setting of 100. This way, your particles can recycle and you won't have to set your Particle Limit so high.

Dodgy
10-29-2004, 03:32 AM
I think you changed the number falling PER SECOND not total number which can fall.
The default for Particle Limit (the total number of particles which can be created) is 1000, 100 is the default per second.
If you want them to keep falling you need to increase the Particle limit. If you want each particle to last for longer, increase the Life time.

art_DA
11-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Thank you all for the particle advice.
Sorry I hadn't gotten back to you all, but I was kinda sick this last
weekend.
Ok....all I ended up doing was expanding, (stretching), the box I had
the particles in.
My camera is right in front of the box and at first, I had a made the
box emitter a little bigger than my screen size, but since the
particles stopped generating faster than I wanted, I just stretched
the emitter in the y axis and that seemed to work.
I appreciate all the help. You guys are all great.
Art