PDA

View Full Version : Shake Qmaster network render manager

Beamtracer
04-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Apologies to Ed: When I posted this I didn't realize that you already had a thread about new Apple products. Maybe this one can be for Qmaster comments

Apple has just released Shake 3, its high-end compositing software. What's this got to do with Lightwave? I ask Newtek to take a close look at Shake's network render manager, called Qmaster.

From Apple's website:
http://www.apple.com/shake/featureoverview.html

"Shake Qmaster is Shake’s new network render manager for Mac OS X. The Rendezvous-enabled Shake Qmaster uses the distributed computing power of your office’s Power Macs or Xserve cluster computing rack."

The interesting thing is that Apple is advertising that Qmaster also works with Maya.

According to Apple:
"Since the render management utility uses the power of UNIX in Mac OS X, other command line based renderers like Alias|Wavefront's Maya can also benefit from it."

Also notable from NAB is the release of Apple's Final Cut Pro 4 editing software, which includes a new 32bpc floating point renderer. Apple is definitely going for the high-end of production.

eblu
04-09-2003, 12:06 PM
As far as compatibility with command line renderers... it would be nice to see, but i wouldn't buy shake just to get that render controller. Thats a pretty steep price for a good render controller (especially if one could duplicate the product fairly easily), and my compositing needs just arent that demanding. Maybe Apple should turn it into its own product. I'd pay $100 for it, if it replaced ScreamerNet (or what i have come to know it as: screamingFitNet).
of course... this means that we would have to beg for a proper command line renderer from newtek. I hate that part of the process. I'm pretty frustrated with the results so far. I imagine a very frustrating time for the users trying to get Newtek to create a proper command line renderer... like the one they already have in linux... that they could probably port in a few days... hint... hint.

side note:
this is the rendevouz renderer we were all speculating about earlier. its funny how many of us (myself included) assumed it would be a 3d rendering engine.

BarkinB
12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Let me nip a possible misconception in the bud here.
You do NOT have to buy Shake to get QMaster. I have the latest "Studio" bundle which is Final Cut Pro 5, DVD Studio Pro 4, Motion 2, Soundtrack Pro. I have QMaster. I did NOT buy Shake.
I'm not sure if you could just buy Final Cut and get QMaster, as installing it on my wife's Mac (stealing CPU power from my spouse, shame!) required both the FCP and DVDSP discs... but I was also installing Compressor.

eblu
12-05-2005, 03:18 PM
ya did when I posted my response. where'd you dig up this thread? its 2 years old!

I know much more now than I did back then, about "qmaster" and its Not magic. it will never replace things like renderfarm commander, which in my humble opinion IS MAGIC.

mlinde
03-13-2006, 06:41 PM
ya did when I posted my response. where'd you dig up this thread? its 2 years old!

I know much more now than I did back then, about "qmaster" and its Not magic. it will never replace things like renderfarm commander, which in my humble opinion IS MAGIC.
Greetings again folks. I'm not looking for magic. From what I see, LWSN does not actually support the QMaster structure. Has anyone made it work? If so, how?

I know enough about QMaster to successfully use it with Shake and Compressor. I know enough about LWSN to use it in Mode 3 (the suggested structure shown in QMaster). It doesn't work as suggested. I don't use Maya, so I'm not able to test that. I also don't have AE 6.5 or later at this time, so I can't test that. What I'm looking for is utilizing the SIMPLICITY of QMaster with LWSN. Any successes?

I don't care if RenderFarm Commander is MAGIC, it costs $$$ that I don't have today, and we all know using the default SN settings cost time, blood pressure and liquor bills. I'm bringing this back up because I'm working on getting QMaster working seamlessly for me in a variety of applications. Thanks!

Ade
03-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Apologies to Ed: When I posted this I didn't realize that you already had a thread about new Apple products. Maybe this one can be for Qmaster comments

Apple has just released Shake 3, its high-end compositing software. What's this got to do with Lightwave? I ask Newtek to take a close look at Shake's network render manager, called Qmaster.

From Apple's website:
http://www.apple.com/shake/featureoverview.html

The interesting thing is that Apple is advertising that Qmaster also works with Maya.

According to Apple:
"Since the render management utility uses the power of UNIX in Mac OS X, other command line based renderers like Alias|Wavefront's Maya can also benefit from it."

Also notable from NAB is the release of Apple's Final Cut Pro 4 editing software, which includes a new 32bpc floating point renderer. Apple is definitely going for the high-end of production.

Yeah right Beam,
as if Newtek are going to release something thats going to make LW mac look better than LW PC.

If it were Lux or maxxon, yes maybe, but not Newtek, they never ever take advantange of Apple technologies, after all there arent even transparencies in the UI, BUT i bet as soon as vista is around there will be.

Matt
03-14-2006, 08:03 AM
I wish NT would market like this:

http://www.apple.com/shake/customerstory.html

Ade
03-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Im afraid Newteks still stuck in the 80's with its advertising.

Unwanted
03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Apple knows how to market. No doubt about it. NT could really benefit from studying Apple. Ads, manuals and webpages are just sexy, well thought out seriously professional unlike the LW webpage with that awful red and black that looks like a bad video game fan site.