PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit LW

Mark
10-27-2004, 01:49 PM
I see that 64 bit performance is coming to Lightwave. The press release only mentions PC's and not the 64 bit G5 chip. Does the same issue with a 64 bit operating system hold for the Mac? Are we and Newtek waiting for Tiger? Anyone (Chuck if you're listening?) got any ideas.

Thanks, Mark.

Ryhnio
10-27-2004, 02:57 PM
OS X and G5 optimization would be brilliant.

BRILLIANT!

-rY

Beamtracer
10-27-2004, 03:32 PM
There's no product release here. Just an announcement that Newtek is developing 64-bit Lightwave for Windows. LW64 for Windows is still "in beta". Microsoft hasn't yet released a 64-bit operating system to the public, though there is a beta version seeded to developers.

On the Mac side, the 64-bit OS X "Tiger" operating system has also been seeded to developers. If I had to bet on it, I'd predict that OS X Tiger will be released before the 64-bit Windows. I wonder why there's been no announcement that LW64 for OS X is currently in development?

[Edit] Update: Chuck made the following announcement on CGTalk:

We have a roadmap for a 64-bit port for the Mac as well, but it will take more time to do the changes we need to make for Tiger. Things like no more Direct Draw make it a bit more work for us. In sum, we simply aren't comfortable at this time in making the formal announcement for the Mac 64-bit port.

Mark
10-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks Beam, we're not forgotten then.

Best wishes, Mark.

Beamtracer
10-31-2004, 03:56 PM
On the Windows side, Newtek has a working 64-bit beta version of Lightwave, running on Microsoft's beta OS.

On the Mac side, we have a roadmap on paper, which I guess is an intention to make a 64-bit Mac Lightwave some time in the future.

I'm hoping that Newtek continues with parity between the Mac / Windows version of Lightwave. That is, I hope they continue to release simultaneously on both platforms. I hope that tradition hasn't changed with this latest announcement.

naldopr
10-31-2004, 05:45 PM
do they will offer a free upgrade for the people that have the lw8?
or they will charge for that to? :confused:

riki
10-31-2004, 07:41 PM
do they will offer a free upgrade for the people that have the lw8?
or they will charge for that to? :confused:

I think longhorn is a few years off isn't it? Let's hope we've moved on to LW 9 before then :)

Darth Mole
11-02-2004, 02:43 AM
So what will a 64-bit LW mean to most users? Bigger files, more speed, faster fatal quits...?

Beamtracer
11-02-2004, 07:32 PM
So what will a 64-bit LW mean to most users? Bigger files, more speed, faster fatal quits...?64-bit means more RAM is available to the application.

Current 32-bit apps have a theoretical RAM limit of 4GB. However, in practice most current apps are limited to 2 gigs of RAM.

A 64-bit app can use terabytes of RAM.

Most of the time you can probably get by with less than 2 gigs of RAM. Every once in a while a job comes along that needs more RAM. I've been in situations where an image map has been too large to use in Lightwave. If Lightwave went 64-bit it would solve this problem by allowing me to use more RAM.

Also, in some situations where very large numbers are used, 32-bit apps must break them up into numerous smaller equations to get it done. A 64-bit app can process those large numbers without breaking them up into smaller chunks, so in some heavy computational situations a 64-bit machine is faster. In other cases not.

Darth Mole
11-03-2004, 03:02 AM
So, for the most part - honestly - not much?

The only thing I see as promising is that a Mac website reported significant speed impovements using apps compiled for Tiger. I forget where it was, bt it did seem to suggest that plenty more speed could be eked out of the OS.

riki
11-03-2004, 04:04 AM
It won't mean much for Word users, but for high-end apps, 3d, CAD, Video Editing, Games and processing extremely large databases, it should give a significant boost, being able to crunch more data. The ability to run more applications, the ablity to handle more memory and larger files, the ability to address up to 16 exabytes of memory (roughly 16 billion gig+).

This astronomical number has been estimated to be five times as large as the number of words spoken by all people throughout history.
re: http://www.networkmagazine.com/

Game users can expect to see more detail, better quality textures, better audio, higher res models, more realistic environments, which equates to more work for us :)

Also improvements for video encoding and decoding, speed increases in playback on a 64bit desktop, improvements in playback and framerate.

Advancement not onlu in speed but also in areas of creative programming, that we haven't even started to think about.