PDA

View Full Version : NewTek's LightWave 3D® First Professional 3D Application to Unveil 64-Bit Port

Chuck
10-27-2004, 10:29 AM
NewTek's LightWave 3D® First Professional 3D Application to Unveil 64-Bit Port
64-bit Port of LightWave 3D Enters Beta Testing

NewTek is pleased to announce the port of their Emmy® Award-winning LightWave 3D® to the Intel® EM64T and AMD64 platforms. NewTek's LightWave 3D is leading the industry as the first professional 3D graphics application to publicly reveal plans for a 64-bit port. The 64-bit version of LightWave® leverages the power and range of capabilities of 64-bit technology, including increased processor power and greater memory capabilities, providing an ideal platform to meet the demands for higher performance in the production of complex motion graphics and visual effects.

For the complete text of the press release go to:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/10-27-04a.html

adrian
10-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Well this is looking VERY promising....

We wait with baited breath.

Adrian.

mattclary
10-27-2004, 10:52 AM
Sorry, but I'll dupli-post:

Chuck, will our existing dongle/license key work with the 64bit version, will we need to get a new key, or will we have to pay to license it to 64bit?

jevinstudios
10-27-2004, 11:38 AM
And I assume that it goes without saying that LW will still continue to be developed for those of us who are running existing 32-bit technology? (Will not be investing in new workstations for my studio for the next 2 or 3 years or so....).

Exper
10-27-2004, 11:49 AM
Just like Jevin and I posted about it in General Support section! :eek:

Exper
10-27-2004, 11:58 AM
LW 32bit future versions confirmed by Elmar Moelzer (thanks for the info)! :)

Elmar speaking in CGTalk forum:
"Hey Exper!

Of course there will be a 32 bit version for everyone else...
CU
Elmar"

:D

Nemoid
10-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Yay
the announcement was SO fast after my thread about 64 bits. coincidence? :D

seems that Lw development is starting to run, finally. good news.

Lamont
10-27-2004, 02:29 PM
Yseems that Lw development is starting to run, finally. good news.LW Dev has always been running ;). News like this is always great. Like I have said before, something cool is going to happen for LW. :D

JML
10-27-2004, 03:28 PM
this is very good news

(I wonder how much faster the chip from amd and intel will perform on 64)
I heard stuff that intel64 is not truth 64bit rightnow, and it only can handle more memory..(whereas amd is truth64..)
I wonder if AMD is finally going to win LW benchmark in LW64...
I all time bought intel, but I will take a really close look at benchmarks of LW64 before I buy my future computer :)

pdrake
10-27-2004, 05:14 PM
no osX version for those of us with g5s?

Ade
10-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Good work Newtek..
Some questions:

What advantages will we see considering lightwave was designed along time ago to be memory efficient on amiga?

There is currently more 64-bit support on the mac side as many have G5's just for 3D and tiger is slated for a release next year which is 64-bit as well as niceies like core graphics...Many have said its not hard to do a proper version of 64 lw with tools like xcode etc.. How does NT feel about this port?

There is no win 64, but linux 64, how about a linux 64?

archiea
10-27-2004, 11:53 PM
no osX version for those of us with g5s?

Well, you'd need Tiger for Newteks efforts to really be appreciated, me thinks, so lets hope for Q1 2005!!!

I've been on a G4 ever since while everyone has ben betatesting... i mean using the G5's :D

Nemoid
10-28-2004, 01:51 AM
LW Dev has always been running ;). News like this is always great. Like I have said before, something cool is going to happen for LW. :D

Happy to hear that :D I know that dev team is working hard on Lw and this news demonstrate a good will to make Lw grow.

Now it's the time to make Lw grow and become really modern, to compete with other high end apps, but most important to give the users an easy and powerful toolset.
Now this in my mind needs integration, but 64 bit port is a good place to start. :)

There's alot of work to do, if u read carefully these words, but I think new dev team can do this job. :)

Exper
10-28-2004, 02:15 AM
For all the Mac users...
from CGTalk "Lightwave to go 64-bit!!" Thread...
Chuck:
"We have a roadmap for a 64-bit port for the Mac as well..."

Bytehawk
10-28-2004, 04:15 PM
the future is bright
:D
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/images/smilies/twisted.gif

Intuition
10-28-2004, 05:26 PM
What are the full implications of a 64 Bit Work Environment?

This means you will need a 64bit machine to fully utilize right?

Is it just greater stability with huge images and objects with tons of detail?

More accurate raytracing/rendering engine hence photoreal?

I am very interested in this but I am trying to figure out the benefits besides the usual. More more more argument.

Will it require a new version of Windows to run on since windows is 32bit?

If so will that also be part of the cost of upgrade.

I WILL do this upgrade I can assure you. I already feel limited by 1GB image sizes when I think I shouldn't be.

Ok, I'll stop now. Thanks for info in Advance.

Architook
10-28-2004, 07:03 PM
What are the full implications of a 64 Bit Work Environment?

This means you will need a 64bit machine to fully utilize right?

The most important effect is a sudden removal of any upper limit to the size of a scene. If you're into complex scenes, especially architecture, you can hit the out of memory limit easily, especially for hires rendering.

This is NOT the problem of having enough RAM in your machine.. it's that you ran into the absolute ceiling of program memory. It doesn't matter whether you have 512M or 4GB in your box, LightWave just can't get all the memory it wants in 32 bit mode.

With a 64 bit OS, there is no (practical) upper limit. You can render at any size, any number of maps, etc, even with a 256MB machine. (You'd be swapping a lot, but you could DO it. In 32 bit, you fail, even if you load every RAM slot full of the densest 2GB RAM!)

The other implication of 64 bit chips is faster rendering. This isn't guaranteed, but it's expected. AMD is able to use more CPU "registers" in 64 bit mode. This is a lot like giving the CPU more freedom to handle more stuff at once. If the compiler is able to use this, it can speed up computation. It requires 64 bit mode.
This speedup is likely not a 100% boost or anything. It's application dependent, but as a hand-waving estimate, 10% is not unreasonable. This is welcomed but not revolutionary.

And that's about it. The nice part is that it's pretty painless.. you get rid of a major limitation (program memory size limit) and gain some speedups.

The difficult part of 64 bit migration is that the low level OS drivers need to be 64-bit ized. That's what is taking all the time. Windows is pretty much ready, but MS is working on getting all of the driver writers to update.

Linux gives source code for its drivers, so it's 64-bit ready right now.

And question #2, yes, you need a 64 bit machine. This means an Athlon64, Opteron, or a newer Xeon. The new Xeons are painfully slow in 64 bit though, it's much better to run them in old-style 32 bit mode! So the only real options are Athlon64 or Opteron. Those work great because they give full 32 bit speed and accelerated 64 bit options.

theo
10-28-2004, 07:08 PM
We are saved... :cool:

KillMe
10-28-2004, 08:25 PM
really want to know if we are going to have to pay to get the 64bit version - i got two opteron cpu's here just waiting for it but i'm not gonna shell out for a new seat of lw jsut to get the 64bit version

Intuition
10-28-2004, 09:06 PM
OH, Thats right, Opteron. I have two 3.2 ghz Opteron workstations. I remember dv411 putting it together saying it will be more useful when the programs support 64 Bit.

AT least I have the hardware covered. Now just need the OS and the Lightwave64.

Thanks for the Info. Its exactly what I was looking for. :D

theo
10-28-2004, 09:14 PM
got two opteron cpu's here just waiting for it but i'm not gonna shell out for a new seat of lw jsut to get the 64bit version

Wouldn't make any sense to if the ROI isn't there. But I am one that more than likely will as ANY increase in power means faster throughput. Faster means fatter- as in fatter paycheck.

Chuck
10-29-2004, 07:19 AM
really want to know if we are going to have to pay to get the 64bit version - i got two opteron cpu's here just waiting for it...

Current plans are that registered owners of the version of LightWave that is current when the 64-bit version begins shipping will receive the 64-bit version for free.

Lamont
10-29-2004, 07:28 AM
If this was Discreet releasing a 64bit version of Max, it would read something like this:

Current plans are that registered owners of the version of 3D Studio Max that is current when the 64-bit version begins shipping will receive the 64-bit version for free... when we use the word "free" we mean, we free you from your money.

LW users are very lucky :).

TheDevil
10-29-2004, 08:57 AM
Current plans are that registered owners of the version of LightWave that is current when the 64-bit version begins shipping will receive the 64-bit version for free.

Nice one!!! I suppose we will have to pay postage and packing though. :D

mattclary
10-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Nice one!!! I suppose we will have to pay postage and packing though. :D

Hang on, Chuck, I'll slap him for you.... :rolleyes:

***!!!SMACK!!!***

Way to go Newtek! You guys are awesome!

TheDevil
10-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Hang on, Chuck, I'll slap him for you.... :rolleyes:

***!!!SMACK!!!***

Way to go Newtek! You guys are awesome!

OUCH!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Exper
10-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Nice one!!! I suppose we will have to pay postage and packing though. :DPaying the Internet "packing&postage"... just click... log with serial number... click... download! :D

glassefx
10-29-2004, 10:05 AM
What about the Itanium? Is it not 64bit? And is XP or W2000 full 32bit? I'd imagine their were some older 16bit dll's being this way... I think 64bit is great because it will create more of a "speed-xone" meaning its going to be all about programming methodology and technique. Kinda like when computers were fairly new to the scene. I could imagine it not being to hard just to add in 32 extra "variables" to the original process chunk and in the end just be processing more data each clock cycle. Its going to be about "how to package" and "what to package" each cycle for a while. I bet if we could see the workings of a lot of this new 64bit technology we would see a lot of "simple doubling" - Like just processing 2 chunks of 32bits one time by making it 64. I think I've read numerous times how some programmers still can't utilize 32bit code to it's theoretical potential.

WizCraker
10-31-2004, 09:05 PM
It looks like in the press release they are going to charge extra for the 64bit version. You would think that they would allow the current user to get the 64bit version for free and then the future versions of lightwave ship with a 64/32bit version.

Kind of like Lightwave 6 shipped with a Intel and Mac CD so you would not have to buy a new license if if you switched to a different platform you would just move your dongle to the mac since it is USB now. I think they made a mistake when they stopped doing this.

The same should be for switching from 32 to 64bit. In a couple more years 32bit will be a think of the past and they would not have to include the 32bit version. Until then it should be a complementary feature of being a user to get both 32 and 64bit versions of LW.

Lamont
10-31-2004, 09:32 PM
It looks like in the press release they are going to charge extra for the 64bit version. You would think that they would allow the current user to get the 64bit version for free and then the future versions of lightwave ship with a 64/32bit version.

This is what Chuck wrote 4 or so posts up:

WizCraker
11-01-2004, 08:07 PM
oops I guess I should read all the replys before posting next time.

Thanks for pointing it out to me Lamont.

JCG
11-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Does anyone know if Microsoft will offer the same generosity?

Exper
11-02-2004, 09:57 AM
They don't offer... just for sure.

I don't have fresh news but Miscrosft announced, some months ago, that Windows64 will be available only to large OEM.

JCG
11-02-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm hoping that that announcement is a legacy of the itanium-only xp64 and that they've just delayed updating their webpage until closer to the amd64 version shipping date...

sandman300
11-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Thankyou, Chuck
:p :D