PDA

View Full Version : Architectural Plans

RLoftis
04-07-2003, 08:36 PM
I am beginning to be involved with taking 2D house plans and converting them to 3D rendered scenes for doing pre-construction visualizations. What is the best way to get going? I have tried rebuilding everything from scratch and cutting windows and doors out of solid blocks, and I have also imported the flat file and extruded it. The problem with importing becomes the time it takes to go back and cut out the windows and stuff. Anyone out there doing this type of work or have some suggestions? Thanks.

Matt
04-08-2003, 02:51 AM
There is no quick way of doing this in any package, importing plans, extruding them up, cutting out parts and adding detail is pretty much it!

LightWave's modeler doesn't help by having very poor snap tools either.

Form-Z modeler is much more suited to this type of work, and it has native LightWave Object format export, so you could bring it all back into LW for rendering.

RLoftis
04-08-2003, 09:59 PM
I guess I expected that answer, just hoping I was wrong. I'll keep pluggin away. Thanks for setting my direction...

Take care.

BAROBA
04-09-2003, 05:09 AM
There is also sketchup. www.sketchup3d.com
But you need to buy it after 8 days (fully working)
And it exports using 3ds.
But I dont know if it is suited for any real production work.

Elmar Moelzer
04-09-2003, 07:13 AM
Hello
We are doing things like these frequently and quickly in LWs Modeler. I usually start with a flat box for the gound- floor then use the knive- tool to cut new points into it. Then I remeove th parts I dont need. After that I extrude it upwards, make the roof etc. Then I build the windows, extrude them backwards and arrange them where they need to be (becuase we have already done quite a few projects we already have a huge database of windows, that we can use, or modify them a bit and use then).
These windows are then cut(substract) into the building using Booleans(for the inside a second time). I have noticed that doing all windows at once makes Booleans work better.
We usually wrk in a team of two, one is measuring out the values form the 2d- plan and the other does the actual modeling. This way we got pretty fast and we usually continue modeling in one session, even for complex buildings. Depending on the plan we have a precision of 0.2cm to 1 cm, which is OK for previz.
CU
Elmar

RLoftis
04-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the additional feedback.

After sitting down for about 30 minutes and really analyzing the layout, which is a 3 story home, I was able to develop a path to completion (partial) based on import/extrusion. One hour into it I had completed the outside shell, all the interior walls, and the basic floors (without stairwell cutouts).

Before extrusion I went into the cad file, created some leader lines to the window and door openings, and erased all unecessary points so that no extra polygons were made. Windows and doors were extruded in place and raised to their proper elevation, then cut into the walls.

It seems that this process works good if you take the time and plan it out at the beginning, versus just jumping in. I appreciate everyone's help.

Take care,
Robert