PDA

View Full Version : How to make ScreamerNet scream??

sdarpel
10-27-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm not a lightwave guy, but I am supporting my Ind. Designer who is using LW (7.5 at the moment). We just set up SN on 6 PCs', all P4 3.0 GHz, with HT.

I have not tried running 2 nodes on each HT machine, yet, as there is at least one issue I want to solve. Since all of our first batch of PC's are in the same room, we can watch the command windows as they render. It seems as though most of the machine sit and wait for frames an awful lot. The node running on the master machine runs pretty much non-stop.

How can I tweak the setup to get all the nodes chugging along at full speed?

Should I not run a node on the master machine?

All my pc's are running off a 100MB network. Do I need to dual-NIC the master? Do I need to stick them all on a 1GB switch?

I want to make the most out of the current production before I start playing with HyperThreading capability of the machines.

JML
10-27-2004, 06:43 AM
are you rendering animations ?

which network render controller are you using ?

what kind of computer is the host?

running 2 nodes on a single P4 might help you for some small scene, but probably not for large scene...

once a scene is loaded on each machines, it should be rendering all the time until
the scene is finish..(no waiting)
because (when the scene is loaded) screamnet only needs to know which frame
it has to render.. (a very small information to transfer)

I think the network speed might mostly change the loading time of a scene not
the part when screamernet is commanding the nodes which frame to render..

sdarpel
10-27-2004, 06:50 AM
Right off the bat, I'd have to say we're rendering animations, saving as RGB as in the famous tutorial. I'm not sure that answers the first question, but my LW guy isn't here. I'm just a dumb old engineer/manager (please talk slow and in short words :rolleyes: )

The rest, I think I can answer.

1. We're using the regular SN controller that comes with. I was just reading about Taquilla. Do the 3rd party controllers work better?

2. The host is a P4/HT 3.0 or 3.2 GHz machine with 1GB Ram (most my machines are identicle).

3. The remote nodes don't hestiate while rendering, but seem to wait a lot for the next frame. If I had to estimate, I'd say the nodes are only processing 30% of the time. It seems as though the controller doesn't dish out work units (sorry, I'm a seti-at-home guy; I always think in terms of work units) very quickly.

Thanks!

JML
10-27-2004, 11:08 AM
3rd party controllers works better right now.
(newtek needs to update thier LW controller)

it's weird..
what is the operating system of the host ? winXP home, pro ? NT?..
I heard that some version of windows has a limited number of computer
it can connect to. (XP pro and NT have a limit of 10 I think...)
(windows server solve this problem)

somebody was trying to render on a lot of computers and could not render on all
the CPU at the same time because his version of windows was limited him...

I don't know if it's the problem you are having.. it might be.. or maybe it's
the 100Mb network which is slowing you down.... not sure...

sdarpel
10-27-2004, 11:32 AM
It's running xp pro, right now. That would make some sense, but I was only trying six at the time. What is your recommendation on the third party controllers?

sotek
11-10-2004, 04:49 PM
In my work i use TequilaScream http://www.digitaltoons.tv/shop/, "render farm" content 8 PCs (Dual P3 1GHz CPUs, 2GB RAM), and this solution really rendering!

http://www.digitaltoons.tv/shop/
TequilaScream®
for LightWave 3D © 6.5 and up.

TequilaScream 1.1.0.1 (Complete version including TequilaScream, TequilaNode and libraries)
Tequila_Node 1.5.0.0
TequilaScream.lsc (the plugin) 1.1
Supporting libraries