PDA

View Full Version : polys facing wrong way after auto cad import

cvliv
10-26-2004, 12:52 PM
i have an auto cad file i imported and there are some faces that are facing the wrong way. maybe 10 percent or so. is there a way to easily correct this? i loath searching the entire file for the polygons that are facing the wrong way and one by one (or by small groups) and flipping them. can we talk about complete pain in the ***? is there an easier way. dont really want an entire file with double sided polys if i can help it.

thanks in advance

Matt
10-26-2004, 01:17 PM
There's no fool proof way to intelligently flip incorrectly facing ones in one go.

You can try the 'Align' tool (found under the 'Detail' tab [LW7.5]) without selecting any polys to see if it can pick them up, but usually it works best by selecting the polys that are facing the wrong way AND some that are facing the right way (make sure you select more that face the right way than the wrong way) THEN hit the 'Align' command.

LW should then flip the incorrect ones based on the direction of the others.

Otherwise you have to do it by hand I'm afraid!

Matt

Orimar
10-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Hi cvliv:

Try the "Align" tool found at Detail>Polygons: Align. Make sure that your model is selected (or, as you probably know, in modeler, if nothing is selected everything is selected) and hit Align.

Align looks at the ratio of opposite facing polygons and flips those of lesser number so that they are aligned with those of greater number. In your case, the 10% would be selected and flipped to face the same way as the 90%. (See: LW 7 Manual, Chapter 28.3, Aligning Polygons or LW 8 pdf Manual Page 1218, Aligning Polygons.)

Hope it works for you.

.O.

Matt
10-26-2004, 03:47 PM
I think I ... yes I did ... erm say that already!!! ;)

Orimar
10-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Sorry Matt. You know, its the old story: Phone rang while I was writing the reply.

.O.