PDA

View Full Version : help on Symmetrical Cutting

n_krypsh_n
10-25-2004, 05:57 PM
I'm Using the symmetry option to model a human face,and everything was going as planned when....I try to use the knife tool to add an edge on the mesh, but there is no other edge created on the other side.

Is there any other tool that should be used ??
thanx :)

Silkrooster
10-25-2004, 07:50 PM
The knife tool can work if you do not have anything selected beforehand. If you select one poly then only that poly will be divided with the knife and that won't work with sub'd polys, as that may create a poly next to it with more than four points. If that happens then you will get a hole in your mesh.
Other tools that can work are cut, bandsaw, bandsaw pro, add edges. Bandsaw and bandsaw pro can select a band around your object and will divide it if the check box is marked. Don't forget your tools for extending an object will create new geometry as well. Try smooth shift, bevel, and extender plus.
Extender plus and bandsaw pro are tools in ver 8 of LW.
Silk

GruvSyco
10-25-2004, 09:19 PM
if you want to cut in symmetry, a good way (as long as the polygons are not all lined up on the symmetry axis) is to use divide (to split the polys) and bridge (to connect them).

GruvSyco
10-25-2004, 09:21 PM
oh yeah... for fixing symmetry, I also use Mirror LtoR and Mirror RtoL (check flay) alot.

Silkrooster
10-26-2004, 01:54 AM
When I fix symmetry, I usually make sure there is a vertex running down the center of the object. Turn off symmetry, select one half of the object. press v to change all of those points to zero. I then delete that half. Finally mirror the remaining half and turn on symmetry.
Silk

n_krypsh_n
10-26-2004, 01:59 AM
:D thanx alot guys, it helped