PDA

View Full Version : mAC VS PC SPEEDS

robk
10-25-2004, 02:10 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW FROM ANY USERS USING MACS AND PC'S FOR RENDERING WITH LIGHTWAVE. ARE RENDERING SPEEDS COMPARABLE?
I am not looking for a flame war just a rational comment from lightwave users who use both platforms.

spud_q
10-25-2004, 03:41 PM
I have had better luck on the PC but that may not be fair. I have not yet used a mac with OS10 installed and for Lightwave I'm told thats a must.

Darth Mole
10-25-2004, 03:57 PM
It's almost always faster on PC, but if it's raw speed you're after, then build a cheap Linux renderfarm out of 2nd-hand Xboxes :)

On Mac it's all about the OS and the end-user experience. Though with LW maybe that's not such a smart comment...

robk
10-25-2004, 04:34 PM
I am thinking about a renderfarm also. I have been pricing intel p4's 2.4 to 3.0 ghz 1 gig of ram. I am getting a price of about $900+ Canadian (about 740 us) without operating system. The linking of x boxes intriques me but I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I have a feeling I will have enough trouble linking Windows pc's together without having to learn linux as well.
Speaking of that. Can you set up a linux renderfarm if you a re using a windows version of Lightwave?

The question about the Mac was for compatibility will other items not just lightwave (which appears to be the same on the pc as the mac)

Nakia
10-25-2004, 05:07 PM
I bought a PC to get fast renders. The mac was good at everyday modelling but m PC is faster at render. But there is a big difference in my CPUs speed though. Mac is a 933Mhz G4 and the PC is 2.4Ghz XEON. So there is the reason why the PC is faster.
My next computer will be a G5 without a doubt.

Beamtracer
10-25-2004, 05:21 PM
It's become apparent that those apps that are built from the ground up for OS X (and optimized using the latest tools) are faster than comparable Windows products. Apple's own apps are a good example. This means the outcome depends on whether or not the code of the app is optimized or not.

If Lightwave is not the only app you're going to run, then look at the bigger picture.

antonioyussif
10-27-2004, 11:30 PM
You should take a look at http://www.blanos.com/Benchmark/ to get some real results on rendering time between mac and pcs. Look at the raytracing scene, with 2 processors, any architecture, any os, any cpu, and lightwave 8, and yes, you'll get the mac on first place!

exit6
10-28-2004, 12:36 AM
I don't know, I have a dual 1.8 G5 and a single 3.2 GHz PC, and the PC's a little faster but about 1/3 the price. Actually, my two year old 1.6 GHz laptop is just about as fast as my 4 month old Mac. I use the Mac for working, though, and the PC's just for rendering. If only I could get Screamernet to drive all three boxes at once!

Ge4-ce
10-28-2004, 02:38 AM
The biggest problem with Apple these days is not "wich one is the fastest!" the challenge is to get one! I'm waiting since july 1th for a dual 2.5 Ghz G5 now.

My problem is partially depending on my country wich is rather small, but nevertheless, peeps ordering machines in september had theirs end of september or octobre,.. I ordered 1th of july and haven't seen a single piece of my machine..

But if you DO compare speeds, it's more then only raw processor speed that counts.

Raw processor speed will give you winners and looses in a PC vs Mac battle. If you look at the OS and when you start using multiple apps at the same time, the advantage goes to Mac in my opinion.

If I work 1 day on a pc, I'm stressed like a monkey on coke..

Lightwolf
10-28-2004, 02:46 AM
You should take a look at http://www.blanos.com/Benchmark/ to get some real results on rendering time between mac and pcs. Look at the raytracing scene, with 2 processors, any architecture, any os, any cpu, and lightwave 8, and yes, you'll get the mac on first place!
Which is just about the only one. Even my trusty home-built Xeon beats the 2.5 G5 in a couple of benches, and is close in the others...
The only one that really hurts is variations ... volumetrics is where AMD really shines...
Cheers,
Mike

jdavidbakr
10-28-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't know, I have a dual 1.8 G5 and a single 3.2 GHz PC, and the PC's a little faster but about 1/3 the price. Actually, my two year old 1.6 GHz laptop is just about as fast as my 4 month old Mac. I use the Mac for working, though, and the PC's just for rendering. If only I could get Screamernet to drive all three boxes at once!
http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/ ;)

monovich
10-28-2004, 06:56 PM
I've got a dual 2.0 Win2k Xenon and a Dual 2.0 G5 on my desk. Both have 2gig of ram. In some situations the render speeds are almost exactly the same. Right now, though, I'm working on a large architectual model, and the PC is about 30% faster based on fprime refinement speeds, it also displays MUCH faster in layout and modeler with a 400k poly model with lots of texturing. The Mac can't keep up at all, it's not even workable on layout refresh speeds.

That said, if I had to pick just one to keep, it would be the mac, because I run all my other apps on it and it's a slicker box.

-s

exit6
10-29-2004, 12:14 PM
it also displays MUCH faster in layout and modeler with a 400k poly model with lots of texturing. The Mac can't keep up at all, it's not even workable on layout refresh speeds.

My mac sometimes has bad display problems, which I've never seen on a PC. I don't know if it's the graphics card or what, but once my scenes or models start to get moderately complex I get all kinds of weird refresh problems. I think all in all the PC is just better at handling Lightwave, but the Mac feels like a more robust box overall. I don't know if the display thing is a Mac issue or a Newtek issue. I just got the Maja trial version (I'm still a Lightwave guy, I just want to see what it's like!) Maybe it's just Macs and 3D.

exit6
10-29-2004, 12:16 PM
http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/
Will it work?? I hate spending money! :D

Lightwolf
10-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Hehe, don't we all ? :D

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. and sorry, I can't answer your question...

Ge4-ce
10-29-2004, 12:26 PM
My mac sometimes has bad display problems, which I've never seen on a PC. I don't know if it's the graphics card or what, but once my scenes or models start to get moderately complex I get all kinds of weird refresh problems. I think all in all the PC is just better at handling Lightwave, but the Mac feels like a more robust box overall. I don't know if the display thing is a Mac issue or a Newtek issue. I just got the Maja trial version (I'm still a Lightwave guy, I just want to see what it's like!) Maybe it's just Macs and 3D.

Basically, I think you can allways pinn down problems to software problems. On paper, the New 6800 ultra is a very fast card. On Paper, the powermac G5 can outperform a pc-system. Software is the main reason. If you look at Motion, or FCP or Shake, wich are optimised for the G5, they fly!! they Rock! look at Photoshop, always been faster on Mac.. Yes, it's a newtek Problem, but also an Apple problem and an nVidia problem, and an ATI problem and a ......... . I simply don't know who to blame. When these people all start working together in a proper way, then we'll see good results.

You can always say that Newtek is in fault because their version of LW for PC is better OpenGL optimised then the Mac version. Could be, but it could also be Apple giving us lousy drivers! Or nVidia or ATI who don't give enough support to Apple OR Newtek or both to make proper drivers..

But the good sign is this: The Mac platform is developing in a 3D platform more and more every day. Proof of that is the switch of Maya, then Maya unlimited, and Renderman, then other stuff like Z-brush, Modo, ... all kind of cool stuff coming out for the Mac. It's just not mature enough yet.

Ge4-ce
10-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Hehe, don't we all ? :D

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. and sorry, I can't answer your question...

No actually, it's earning the money that's the hardest part for me! Spending it is what I love!

Wouldn't you sign right away when I offer you a lifetime of spending money? (I don't offer it ;) )

jdavidbakr
10-29-2004, 12:34 PM
It controls PCs and Macs on the same render farm; there's a free one-node license that you can use to check to see how well it works. I've used it with great success with several Macs and a Windows XP Pro box on the network render.

BaseZero
11-03-2004, 10:24 AM

Check out RenderFarm Commander. Cheaper and it rocks! We're using it here with incredible results…

http://www.brucerayne.com

BZ

Ozzie
11-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Renderfarm Commander is excellent. The best part is the ability for node computers to jump in at any point, pick up the next available frame and start rendering. A few simple clicks and away they go. Also the node can be shut down at any point whilst not affecting other nodes. Using Screamernet is awful. If one machine doesn't pick up a frame, or crashes, the entire Screamernet has to be shut down and restarted. Which is a lot of work if the machines are in different rooms. Renderfarm Commander is also really cheap. Buy it.

Mark

marinello2003
12-07-2004, 01:48 PM
I have a G4 1.4GHZ and Dell 2.0 GHZ P4. I find they both render about the same, however the Mac version produces artifacts when using lensflares that do not appear on the PC version (Bug).

However, I found that the PC is faster at calculating dynamics. So when I do dynamics scenes I ususially use the PC.

jasonwestmas
12-07-2004, 03:42 PM
I would use my Mac OSX 10.3 more (It just feels more comfortable to me), but LW 7.5d keeps crashing randomly especially when I have the hub active. No display problems at all on my Dual 1Ghz G4/ ATI Radeon 9000. However on my 2.8 GHz Pentium box/ ATI Radeon 9800 Pro I'm having redraw problems with the latest ATI drivers. Crashes on the PC with LW 7.5d is seldom. Usually happens when I open up complex scenes. My PC which is supposed to be nearly three times as fast as my Mac renders only about 1/3rd faster which is considerable I guess when you add up the frames needed to be rendered. After going through most of the pre-processes of making an animation (Modeling, Texturing, Weight mapping/ rigging complex characters) It seems newtek definitely optimised LW to work on an intel more than a Mac. However If it wasn't for all the crashing I would feel more comfortable on the Mac OSX platform.