PDA

View Full Version : Beginner in need of help

n_krypsh_n
10-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi All,

I know this is a beginner question but....
I'm new to LW but have worked with 3dsmax alot.
I was wondering weather or not there was a modifier stack in LW like in 3dsmax?
So if for instance u made a box, added a bend to it, then a twist, u could modify the properties of the bend and see the end result?
Thanx to anyone who could help me get started.

Matt
10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately not!

n_krypsh_n
10-25-2004, 12:49 PM
So if u mess up, or want to change a parameter, u have to start over?

Matt
10-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Depends on what your doing, I sometimes create new parts of geometry in another layer, if it looks right I'll copy it to the 'main' layer.

If you model using spline patching your initial creation curves will be kept for tweaking at a later date, but you'll have to re-patch after any tweaks.

I also have layers that act as 'holders' for initial creation geometry should I need to recreate a certain part if I think it might not come out as I planned.

You do get used to it!

Another way is to save your model at various stages of creation, make sure you save often too!

It's not as bad as you think, once you get up to speed in modeller you'll find it pretty fast at recreating parts of your model, especially if you've modelled it once!

SplineGod
10-26-2004, 12:41 AM
Not having stack hasnt bothered me at all. I tend to build and then if I get to a point where Im not sure what Im going to do I copy the object into another layer and experiment. Most of the time a stack tends to start taking up a lot of resources and I find that most people tend to collapse the stack often enough where you can only go back so far. I find LWs modeler fast enough where its easy to fix things or use layers to refer back to previous versions.

Whit
10-26-2004, 10:12 AM
In both Modeler and Layout, you can use "S" to "Save Incrementally." You end up with a series of files with names like tree_v001.lwo, tree_v002.lwo, tree_v003.lwo. This is a convenient way to make multiple versions as you are working.

--Whit