PDA

View Full Version : CG- Post in VT4

Ivan
10-25-2004, 08:10 AM
I have installed VT4 and have had a chance to play with the CG in VTEdit. At first glance it seems pretty full featured and once you figure out the layout it isn't to hard to work with. A few things that I have not figured out yet and I am not sure if it's me or if they are not included are:

1. Can't get soft shadow to produce a soft shadow.
2. Don't see anywhere to numerically set text size to ensure that all lines are the same size
3. Sometimes the "I" Cursor does not appear
4. Somtimes Global changes can really bog it down and take VTEdit with it.

On the plus side, the "Force Legal Speed" button allows you to create scrolls that are pretty much any speed and they don't fall apart. And for a quick title now and then it works very well.

Ivan

Jim Capillo
10-25-2004, 09:17 AM
I have installed VT4 and have had a chance to play with the CG in VTEdit. At first glance it seems pretty full featured and once you figure out the layout it isn't to hard to work with. A few things that I have not figured out yet and I am not sure if it's me or if they are not included are:

1. Can't get soft shadow to produce a soft shadow.
2. Don't see anywhere to numerically set text size to ensure that all lines are the same size
3. Sometimes the "I" Cursor does not appear
4. Somtimes Global changes can really bog it down and take VTEdit with it.

On the plus side, the "Force Legal Speed" button allows you to create scrolls that are pretty much any speed and they don't fall apart. And for a quick title now and then it works very well.

Ivan

1. I've bugged that, but for now, if you're using it as an overlay, enable shadows under the clip options. It works fine.

2. Click on the "text" tab on the bottom of the CG page and you'll see X & Y numeric values, as well as lock aspect ratio.

3. ? Works OK here.....

4. Haven't seen that. What's your computer config?

Ivan
10-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Ok, #2. I know I can be a real idiot but I see no "Text" tab at the bottom. There is one on the side after you type something in but I can't imagine that I would want to go through that for each line of text. It is good to know it's there but change 30 lines of text and suddenly the old CG isn't so bad.

I have a dual 3.06 SuperMicro X5DA8 with 2 gigs of ram and a 5700 Nvidia Card. The system has been flawless with VT3. I will try to create a number of easily reproducible steps and email Paul if it happens again.

#3, I don't know why the cursor does not always appear. It does show up, just not always. And yes, I have the "T" selected. ;-)

As for #1, Cool that you can blur the shadow now. It does not seem to work with Coloted Borders yet but it is a start.

Ivan

Jim Capillo
10-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Ok, #2. I know I can be a real idiot but I see no "Text" tab at the bottom. There is one on the side after you type something in but I can't imagine that I would want to go through that for each line of text. It is good to know it's there but change 30 lines of text and suddenly the old CG isn't so bad.

I have a dual 3.06 SuperMicro X5DA8 with 2 gigs of ram and a 5700 Nvidia Card. The system has been flawless with VT3. I will try to create a number of easily reproducible steps and email Paul if it happens again.

#3, I don't know why the cursor does not always appear. It does show up, just not always. And yes, I have the "T" selected. ;-)

As for #1, Cool that you can blur the shadow now. It does not seem to work with Coloted Borders yet but it is a start.

Ivan

#2,

OK, there are three tabs to the left of the CG workspace - text, draw and motion. Make sure you have "text" selected.

Now look below the workspace and you will see several tabs on the bottom - view, text, color, styles etc. Select "text" there and you'll see the size boxes.

Ivan
10-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Jim,

I think we are talking about two different things. In VTEdit CG-Post I do not see the tabs. They are there in the CG program itself but not in CG-Post. In Control Tree I do not see those tabs and along the bottom I have Splines, Positioning, Title Compose, Title Draw, Title Color, Title Styles, and Title Options. We are talking about two different modules aren't we?

Thanks,

Ivan

Jim Capillo
10-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Jim,

I think we are talking about two different things. In VTEdit CG-Post I do not see the tabs. They are there in the CG program itself but not in CG-Post. In Control Tree I do not see those tabs and along the bottom I have Splines, Positioning, Title Compose, Title Draw, Title Color, Title Styles, and Title Options. We are talking about two different modules aren't we?

Thanks,

Ivan

Ahhhhhh...... that explains it ! :eek: I didn't read your initial post closely enough.

I don't create my CG's in VTEdit - I do them in CG and pop them over. I just make the tweaks in VTEdit.

Sorry for the confusion :o

Ivan
10-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Are you using 4 yet?

Ivan

Jim Capillo
10-25-2004, 11:52 AM
Are you using 4 yet?

Ivan

Yes, and LOVING it !!!!! :D :p :)

Ivan
10-25-2004, 12:23 PM
What tweaks are you refering to? These should be the same as you were doing in 3, unless you use the plugin, correct?

Ivan

Jim Capillo
10-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Plugin? I'm doing things like using the reveal feature, which you have to use from the control tree.

Ivan
10-25-2004, 12:44 PM
OK, I haven't even opened CG since I got VT4. Apparently you can save the CG pages from CG and tweak them the same as if you use the plugins from the Effects folder. Cool, I'll give it a shot.

Lots of cool features but I have to say the per clip blur is one of my favorite, oh wait, DV out, I mean ISS...

It does have quite a few improvements. I just tried some DV footage and the audio stays synced and it doesn't take forever to be ready to play back. The clip was about 40 minutes and the "Wait" was over in less than 5 minutes.

I stll have to figure out the Print to Tape fuction for DV. Haven't been able to get that to work without reading the manual.

Ivan

Jim Capillo
10-25-2004, 01:24 PM
RTFM? NOT ME !!!!!!! :p :p :p :D

ScorpioProd
10-25-2004, 02:22 PM
I stll have to figure out the Print to Tape fuction for DV. Haven't been able to get that to work without reading the manual.

Ivan

Hard to believe as it may seem, that features was still NOT included. :(

Ivan
10-25-2004, 02:33 PM
I have a Print to Tape seletion in my menu. You mean to tell me it does not work for DV yet or that it doesn't work at all?

Ivan

jbcaro
10-25-2004, 03:23 PM
So the "Real-time FireWire in and out" that is listed in the "Feature Set" is still only half way there???!!!

jbcaro :mad: :( :confused:

Ivan
10-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Actually you can import via firewire and you can exprt via firewire. You just can't Print to Tape, you need to hit Record on the Deck and Play in VT. Not the worst thing I can think of but it will be nice to have the new feature.

I talked to Paul and he said that Capturing Firewire would include the Timecode from the tape even if you did not batch capture. This feature does not seem to be working yet either or I am not looking the right place for it.

Ivan

ScorpioProd
10-26-2004, 12:24 AM
Print-to-tape works, but that does not include the ability to print-to-tape DV via firewire.

And honestly, to me that does mean the firewire output support is "only halfway there." It really is a big deal. Remember, the cheap DV-only NLEs have ALWAYS been able to do this. So really, I can't call it a "new feature", I'd call it an "expected standard feature", IF you're doing DV support.

Sure, if you're just dumping a project to tape and that's it why do you need it? Say you made a mistake near the end of your two hour project... Do you want to retape the ENTIRE two hours or insert the corrected five minutes near the ending where the only mistake was?

The capturing of TC via firewire is working. The thing to remember is it is ONLY captured IF you select the device DIRECTLY in the capture panel. If you are capturing Main In, you will NOT get TC with it. This TC can then be displayed by selecting local time on your clip in VT-Edit.

Of course, we don't have window dub burning ability with the TC, though...

Ivan
10-26-2004, 07:08 AM
Most DV decks are not that accurate so I am not sure that you will be able to do like you suggest and just dub the last 5 minutes. It may still be less hassle to record the whole 2 hours.

As for the timecode, I am pretty sure I did as you suggest and I still didn't get the timecode from the tape. When I open the Edit Panel, the timecode from the tape should be displayed and it is not. The clip I am looking at starts at 00:00 and I know that I didn't start recording the tape at that point because the timecode on the deck control did not match up with the time on the capture panel.

Ivan

wvp
10-26-2004, 07:17 AM
. . .Of course, we don't have window dub burning ability with the TC, though...
Wonder if you could use the VGA capture program (or whatever its called) to capture just the local time on the VT screen & overlay that on a clip?

Ivan
10-26-2004, 07:35 AM
User error, I was selecting the DV option under Main, I didn't see the DVDeck option at the top of the list. Another question I have is do I always have to go to Prefs to export via firewire or is there a setting that I can choose that allows import and export?

Thanks,

Ivan

bradl
10-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Wonder if you could use the VGA capture program (or whatever its called) to capture just the local time on the VT screen & overlay that on a clip?Great Idea! Can you crop the window down to size?

wvp
10-27-2004, 07:13 AM
I don't know - I don't have the VT[4] yet :(
Allthough I would think once in VT-Edit one could use the crop & positioner on the clip or switcher input.