PDA

View Full Version : continue rendering

Jamel
10-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Lets say you have a scene thats like 300 frames, you only render to 200 and you already saved animation to quicktime file and every thing. But later on you decide to render the whole thing is there a way to do this with out staring over like start at frame 200 and continue.

thank you

Lewis
10-24-2004, 03:36 PM
NO, you can't (and that's not LW related).

That's why you ALWAYS need to render FRAMES and not just MOV, AVI, QT or any animation format. When you render frames you can continue when you want and you always can save images as animation later.

cheers

danilo
10-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Yes,you can!Just start rendering at frame where you stoped(if your last frame RENDERED was 200,you start at frame 201).
I am doing this all the time.....
danilo

Skritter
10-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Yes,you can!Just start rendering at frame where you stoped(if your last frame RENDERED was 200,you start at frame 201).
I am doing this all the time.....
danilo

But then you need a Video editing package to splice them together.

Its always best to make images like Lewis said, then you can do whatvever you want with them later. If you decide you want .avi or quicktime or whatever you dont have to rerender them all again.

kevman3d
10-25-2004, 12:28 AM
The other downfall of rendering to Animation (AVI, MOV) is that in most cases, you'll probably be rendering with some kind of codec compression. If you plan on editing, splicing, etc then when you re-output the video you'll be re-compressing compression... That degrades the quality of your final production.

That's why you should definitely consider frame rendering vs. animation - Or at least make sure you set the video compression to 'none' or 'full frames' or whatever...

The other bonuses of frame rendering include Alpha channels (though Quicktime can support them if you want to), and easy ways of splitting renders out to multiple layers for compositing later. Most plugins for LW that can render out the multiple buffers (shadows, spec, diffuse, etc) only render to images anyway.

BTW, I would suggest using PNG for frames - PNG has nice lossless compression format (ie. crisp images) and won't eat up your drive space as quickly as something like TGA! :)

danilo
10-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Of course that rendering FRAMES IS BETTER and SAFER.
Question was if you ALREDY rendered to frame 200 in quicktime,and you want to continue.
And,for TEST rendering,I like to render it straight to quicktime.
Final rendering as frames.
danilo

Lewis
10-25-2004, 05:06 AM
I tought he ask can he continue to render frame 201 at SAME mov/avi FILE ? And AFAIK that's not possible ? Ofcourse he can render frame 201 and forward but then you have two files (if you again save mov/avi) and you need to merge them with some editing software (i.e. premiere) or load in LW as background and rerender two animations into ONE (in case user doesn't have ANY editing SW) which will go much faster than normal rendering ofcourse.

cheers