PDA

View Full Version : speed modeling contest VOTE NOW!

cresshead
10-24-2004, 11:31 AM
hi i ran a speed modeling contest on saturday at college where i teach 3d.

i gave each student a choice of types of object the could choose from

character
transport
building
product

then the randomly chose a number and that number was linked to a model they had to build.

as you can see most of the models came from a toy catalogue

eash student did not know in advance what was the model...
they had one class to make the mode [6 hours] in their chosen 3d app
which could be lightwave, xsi, max and cinema

i asked for only screen grabs...NO renders
NO lights
no surfaces or materials with textures..no colours!

only shades of grey could be used.

cresshead
10-24-2004, 11:35 AM
note the color pictures are the reference photos they made the models from.

whoever gets the most vote will get a prize donated from me...

either a dvd film, dvd 3d training or a full commercial 3d app.

prize depends on who wins...

steveg

lardbros
10-24-2004, 12:57 PM
WOWSERS thats a very good way to teach and very generous!! I think technically the garage toyset is the best model, the person seems to have observed the original photo better than the others.

richdj
10-24-2004, 04:23 PM
As one of the students involved, I'm not saying which is my model.... I just wanted to say this worked out as a good test, as most of us have been working in 3D, in various apps for some time, and it helped to show what could/couldn't be achieved by individuals in a short time period, and the pitfalls of judging size, from a photo/pic....

Anyway, excellent idea Cress...

Rich

meatycheesyboy
10-24-2004, 04:27 PM
whoever gets the most vote will get a prize donated from me...

either a dvd film, dvd 3d training or a full commercial 3d app.

prize depends on who wins...

I don't understand this part.... Why would the prize be dictated by who wins? I'm mean ultimately, its your contest but I was just curious.

richdj
10-24-2004, 04:36 PM
I don't understand this part.... Why would the prize be dictated by who wins? I'm mean ultimately, its your contest but I was just curious.

Cress, bless his little cotton socks, is teaching a variety (skill/experence) of students, who have different aims and objectives within the 3D industry/hoby... He does not teach one particular app, he teaches 3D as a whole, and therefore looks on what will be most appropriate for the individual, to help them progress and achieve their potential...

Anyway, no-one tell him, as he may think I'm saying nice things about him....(D'oh)

Rich

cresshead
10-24-2004, 05:41 PM
re the prize...

depends on who wins because say if a studnet who has no commercial app themselves wins i'd go out n buy silo..where as if a lightwave user won than i'd get either a film or lightwave training book/cdrom...that way the prize is useful to the winner...and if hey have loads of traiing and their own app..i'd get a film!

steveg

cresshead
10-24-2004, 05:52 PM
regarding apps used..here's some notes...

MAX:
on one of the models a student selected max to make the model but came to a halt as the boolean operator wouldn't give a proper result..it kept deleting some of the faces no matter what he tried and looked as though he's have to manually re build those faces as the model now had holes where polys should have been.

..after a while he decided to ditch max and start again in xsi3.0 exp and when he got to the booleans it worked just fine.

cinema 8.5
a student who i believe has quite a good understanding of cinema 8.5 [his own commercial version was used] ran into some real problems due to cinema NOT being able to use ngons...it made the model real messy with loads of tris where a single poly should have been if he used lightwave/max/xsi instead.

max:
another student using max got some nice results but always seemed to make a quite heavy model..loads of polys..he prefers to locally subdivide with a meshsmooth button rather than add meshsmooth modifier as with meshsmooth modifier you get a "cage" down at the sub level and this can look quite messy when trying to edit a model with show end result on so you can see how your model will look subdivided.
his resulting model looks just fine but if he were to want to edit it in any drastic way he has a heavy mesh similar to if you freeze your sub d model in lightwave.

Rory_L
10-25-2004, 01:12 AM
You`ll have to tell us who did what and with which package!

My vote went to the garage. The building was also logically done, but the artist failed to stick to the rules (pink polys?) and exaggerated the decorative details above the windows.

The carpark also looked promising, but closer observation of the original would have produced a more faithful reproduction, I think.

Very good teaching method Cresshead. For a more prolonged test why not have the students enter the Space Opera contest? This forces contestants to communicate with other experienced users and swap techniques.

Cheers,

R

Paul_Boland
10-25-2004, 12:37 PM
For me, it was a toss up between the poilce car, pirate ship and garage. I am not putting down the work in the other two creations, but these three caught my eye. In the end, I picked the garage. Why? Not sure, I just really liked it.

Nemoid
10-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Toy garage rocks! :D

cresshead
10-25-2004, 03:39 PM
i'll see where we on friday night then anounce the winner.. and select a prize for it.

thanks for voting and your opinions...i'll let you know what app did what after the vote on saturday 30 oct

Matt
10-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Voted for the toy garage! Most complete and accurate IMO!

mark worall
10-27-2004, 09:23 AM
You`ll have to tell us who did what and with which package!

My vote went to the garage. The building was also logically done, but the artist failed to stick to the rules (pink polys?) and exaggerated the decorative details above the windows.

The carpark also looked promising, but closer observation of the original would have produced a more faithful reproduction, I think.

Very good teaching method Cresshead. For a more prolonged test why not have the students enter the Space Opera contest? This forces contestants to communicate with other experienced users and swap techniques.

Cheers,

R

I constructed the telegraph building.

I agree that the decoration is crap. I wish I had concentrated on the building itself, but thought it might make a more complete model.

I wasn't sure how to make the decoration and so just made a mess. What would be the best way to the approach detail?

Cheers

Mark

cresshead
10-27-2004, 10:54 AM
mark, don't be so hard on yourself!

you made a pretty good job of that in 5hours

steve g

lede
10-27-2004, 01:41 PM
The telegraph build would be one of the most difficult models to make. Looking at the details there is a crap load of small peices that make the building interesting. Now then you model was done in 5 hours the HOLY CHIT that is awsom work for that amount of time. It would probably take me day's to get that far!

BTW Cress what an inginous idea! Every once in a while it is good to test your skills. Speen modeling is a fun exersice and tones your skills. Sorry I didn't vote on this but I liked them all :D

-Lee

Rory_L
10-28-2004, 12:56 AM
I wasn't sure how to make the decoration and so just made a mess. What would be the best way to the approach detail?

I don`t think those decorative mouldings are messy, just too big. you might have had more control over their shape if you`d stuck to poly modelling and not thought to make them sub-D surfaces. I might have stenciled and extruded them from the walls, relying on EdgeBevel to soften the outlines. I personally prefer JettoBevel, but I don`t know if 3rd party plugins were off limits in this contest.

I can`t see the details of these bits in the original photo, (you probably had a larger one to work from) but if the camera`s going to be this far from the building, I would not have gone to such lengths to make the nurnies smooth. You weren`t making the model for game development, so poly count wasn`t a worry, but appropriate poly density should always be a modeller`s consideration.

Good luck with future projects,

Rory

Paul_Boland
10-28-2004, 12:22 PM
To the person who modelled the police car...

I see that so far you have got no votes. Just wanted to say that I really do like it and as I said in my post above, it was one of the three I had to choose from.

Good work :) .

cresshead
10-29-2004, 06:42 PM
okay here's some background info!

1.daily telegraph building was made in lightwave 8.0

2.pirate ship was started in 3dsmax 5.0 but scrapped as the boolean operator refused to work properly when cutting out the semi circle areas where the cannons lay on the ships hull...the artist ditched 3ds max and started over using xsi experience to build the scene...which went okay with booleans etc.

3.the police car was made in cinema 8.5 but gave the artist some huge headaches as cinema 8.5 does not support ngons in any form so a simple
idea such as a car shaped polygon extrusion became a "mess"...therefore his
idea of building several different types of car [police, fire etc] came to a grinding halt with cinema 8.5....he was not happy as he canusually make anything in cinema to a good resulting model...this time cinema let him down.

4.multi story car park was made in lightwave 8.0

5.toy garage was made in 3ds max 5.0 using edit mesh, edit poly and FFD lattice
as well as some basic 3d shape to begin with.

cresshead
10-29-2004, 06:52 PM
i decided to call midnight friday the cutoff day for my counting votes so mike won the contest

oh and seeing as the student only has a edu version of 3dsmax 6.0 at home i bought him silo 3d so he can jump in and make some models for sale on turbosquid etc.

hope he likes silo 3d!

well done mike!!! :D

drew_waylander
10-30-2004, 10:28 AM
hi all,
a big thanx for everyone who voted for me ... the gap in numbers of votes embarassed me as the other models were to a good standard. i am now about to get Silo 3d thanxs to Stee and that now makes me the proud owener of a legal commercial app ... cool ... thanx again everyone ..!!..