PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle contour to terrain?

Cyborgguineapig
04-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Is it possible in lightwave to make a vehicles tires contour to different angle terrain and such as an offroad vehicle would naturally? Would I have to download or possibly buy a plugin to get this effect?

Where is lets say the front left tire hit a small rock brush the wheel would actually go over it rather than through it, Mars rover style and all I would ahve to do is move the vehicle and the wheels would automatically countour over small rocks or slants?

hunter
04-07-2003, 05:18 PM
The only thing I can think of would be the texture motion plugin.
you can see a short anim I did here:

http://forum.lwhub.com/showthread.php?threadid=143

It won't take rocks into account unless you can paint an image that includes elevations for those things:)

Cyborgguineapig
04-07-2003, 07:05 PM
thats really cool and what I was looking for but is this plugin free or $? I wouldn't know where to find it either.

WCameron
04-07-2003, 08:02 PM
open the _Features/TextureMotion/Tire.lws

scene file in your content/scenes directory.
Basically you apply the texture motion plugin to an object and use the Texture as the Texture you deform your ground plane with.

- Will.

banshee
04-08-2003, 04:06 AM
This is what I found to be the best explanation (listed on the old forum). Have'nt tried it yet though.

"By Chris Moschella (Chris_M) (12.101.14.2) on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:35 am:

there is a way to do it,

It is a motion modifier called Texture Motion. The ability to do this presupposes that you are using a displacement texture to make your landscape.

You have to have your wheels as seperate objects from your car and the pivot point centered in the wheel. Then for each wheel and the car, add the Texturemotion modifier from the Add Modifier drop down panel in your motion options menu. Load the same texture you used to make the displacement texture. Tweak the offset so it is at the right height, and viola, your wheels will stick to the ground.

I have a scene with this done, just with the car, not the wheels, when i was testing it out one day.

http://www.deadpixelsociety.com/texturemotion.rar has the scene and object files

http://www.deadpixelsociety.com/preview1.avi is a render of the action in progress, just a note about that scene, the rotation is keyframed, but the Y postion of the car is controlled entirely via the TextureMotion modifier

even though in my test scene i only modified the car and not the wheels, i think it stands to reason that you should be able to do it with the wheels also

hope this helps "

Stephen Bailey
04-09-2003, 09:00 AM
I'm doing a large-terrain project right now, and you may find that problems occur with larger ground areas.

For instance, I can get good results in a 100mX100m area, but because I need a 2KX2K land mass I need a larger ground plane with greater subD polys, etc. Once your ground plane can't be subdivided smoothly enough to sufficiently match the resolution of the same texture in Texture Motion, problems quickly arise.

I've had to go back to hand keyframing my cars/tires on our terrain. Not totally horrible, but it would be nice to have more features in the Texture Motion plugin. For instance, if you could tell the plugin to adjust every 5th or 10th key and interp the rest, that might help match it to larger terrains with lower point/poly counts.

Hope this made sense.

jds580s
04-10-2003, 01:46 AM
I'm working on a similar project right now too. I've got a setup that keeps the tires on the terrain, and the body of the vehicle reacts to the bumps by referencing each wheels location. I'm working on trying to get it to 'lean' around turns, but am having no luck at all.

Feel free to take a look at the setup.
http://www.onthez.com/temphosting/vehicle_setup.zip

fxnut
04-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Hey guys. You may be interested that I've written a plugin that will handle this to an extent.

It's called Vertigo, and it projects a ray in a particular direction onto a target mesh and places another object at the point where the intersection occurs. It's not the fastest plugin in the world as it doesn't use any space partitioning to optimise the collision detection, but I think you'll find it does the job.

I used this in an animation that I did for placing the wheels of a car on the ground. It does however mean that you have to animate the car body by hand, which isn't a bad thing anyway since you'd want to put all sorts of secondary motion in anyway.

The plugin also lets you set a maximum and minimum range of distance, which is dead handy for preventing the wheels leaving the car if it does any jumps, rolls, etc.

Not having looked at this for a while, I do need to recompile and test it with Lightwave 7.5, but if you're interested, just drop me an email to [email protected]

Regards

Andy