PDA

View Full Version : Best video editing software??

oneiric413
10-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi

I am in search of some video editing software that would be fairly simple to use because all I want to do is put together several lightwave animations (.avi) with some transition effects and sound. Nothing really complicated here.

What would be your suggestions? Please tell if you have had any good/bad experiences with certain video editing software packages.

It also HAS to be able to run on Windows 2000. I know a lot of them are only running on Windows XP.

Thanks so much for your input! :)

Integrity
10-22-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm not fully knowledgable about all programs, but I have used Vegas, Premiere, and DFX+. All of which cost quite a bit of money. So it all depends on how much you want to spend too.

I do know of two programs which are free, but both are entirely different methods of editing some animations.

One is called AVISynth. It is not your normal GUI editing application. It is a language (sort of) that you code to put animation files together. So if your in to coding, this would work as well because it is free.

There is also another program that was created by the same guy who created WinMorph. I think it is called Wax and as far as I know it is a very, very simple editing application. That might be your pick.

If you are going to spend money...not to be mean or anything but I'd just suggest going to the website of all the major multimedia program companies or doing a search on Google with keywords such as "video editing program" or something like that.

I hope this helps.

oneiric413
10-22-2004, 09:45 AM
thanks for the reply. I have searched google for 'video editing software'. I just wanted to know if anybody on here that has had themselves or know someone that has had first hand experience with any of the major video editing software and can make any suggestions. I'm just looking for something fairly simple. I have used Video Edit Magic and it is not very good at all.

Also, yes, I am willing to spend money. The price is not an issue at all.

Jim_C
10-22-2004, 11:11 AM
>>Also, yes, I am willing to spend money. The price is not an issue at all.

Well then buy a VT4 from Newtek and use the best editing software there is VT-Edit.
Keep it all in the family.

oneiric413
10-22-2004, 11:30 AM
>>Also, yes, I am willing to spend money. The price is not an issue at all.

Well then buy a VT4 from Newtek and use the best editing software there is VT-Edit.
Keep it all in the family.

Well, see I'm trying to keep it relatively simple. Why pay for all of the features in VT-Edit when I have absolutely no use for them. I'm not in TV production. I simply want to put avi's together in a nice movie with sounds and some effects. Simple.

Anybody else??

Edit: I'm not saying VT-Edit is bad or your suggestion was bad. I'm just looking for somthing different. I didnt want to sound mean or anything to you Jim_C.

helljack
10-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Adobe Premiere is pretty easy to use. In fact, the reason I first got it was to edit together my Lightwave animations, and I had never used a non-linear video editor before. I use both here at my job now and it gets the work done. The newest version (Pro) doesn't work with Win2K however. Ver. 6.5 does, and it should be pretty easy to find on E-Bay.

Jim_C
10-22-2004, 11:36 AM
:)

No worries, I knew where you were coming from anway, my suggestion was kinda flippant.... :rolleyes:

I used to use one called MGI Videowave, it was easy to use storyboard, cuts dissolves, few funky transitions. Did all the basic jobs.
Nothing too fancy. But it works.
http://www.mgisoft.com/products/vw/index_flash.asp

smok3
10-24-2004, 03:28 PM
liquid edition. (version 5.5 will work on 2k, and also 6.0 i guess..., but know that 5.5 is DV only afaik)

p.s. oh, and dont think that heavysoft like premiere or edition is 'lots of features', actually one needs lots of control for the very basic everyday tasks as well (- for example you will need a pretty good sound mixer at the end of the chain, so why not just use the one that came with editing software.)

oneiric413
10-25-2004, 06:15 AM
Thanks everybody!

T-Light
10-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Hello.

Have a go with 'AVID Free' before anything else, it has many of the professional bells and whistles, but limits you in your number of video and audio tracks. Not a problem at all for what you're doing. There's also a load of free tutorials at their site.

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

Have fun.

ps I've used Media Studio Pro for years, if you want something more advanced at a later date but don't fancy AVID prices, it's certainly worth a look.

http://www.ulead.com/msp/runme.htm